Delmon Young and his defense

Crazysilver03

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well his batted ball data doesn't support that. Last year he was better utilized as a part time player and was lucky on batted balls. The year before that he had a .714 in 100ish games and in 2012 he had .707. I have less faith that he will improve much especially considering I don't see the approach changing or him IMPROVING upon a .365 BABIP.

Couple that with the defense coming back to earth and you end up with a pretty bad situation with Delmon Young as your full time right fielder.

Maybe we can petition the mods to change the title to "Delmon Young and his defenders"?

Right, of course the "bashers" use stats and facts while the "defenders" talk of lineup protection and him just starting to apply himself after 10 years in the league.

You can use all the stats you want, at the end of the day.

Apparently, Buck doesn't agree with you and for that matter DD must not have an issue with Buck.

Yes, Buck has a strange unexplainable fetish for Delmon Young, it is known.

The defense isn't going to hold up and he has a .693 OPS. That's middle of the order-worthy for sure.

Not to mention that .365 BABIP isn't going to hold up looking at his batted ball data.

Delmon Young is the same as ever, not good enough to be a productive everyday corner outfielder.

I've been puzzled all year by Buck's continued use of Delmon against right-handed pitching, and in the field. I understand there aren't any great options, but Snider or Lough has to be a better solution in right against RHers than Young. He's 29, has over 3000 PAs against righties, much of that when offense was still up around the league, and an OPS of .714. Playing that in the middle of the lineup befuddles me.

You can use all the stats you want, at the end of the day.

Apparently, Buck doesn't agree with you and for that matter DD must not have an issue with Buck.

I think Buck is a good manager, and Duquette a good GM. But I admit to having no idea why you'd play Delmon Young in the field, against righties. I'm not saying there isn't some rational there, but I certainly don't know what that might be. All of the publicly available information says it's a poor idea.

I think Buck is a good manager, and Duquette a good GM. But I admit to having no idea why you'd play Delmon Young in the field, against righties. I'm not saying there isn't some rational there, but I certainly don't know what that might be. All of the publicly available information says it's a poor idea.

Delmon's OPS has dipped below .700. Time to start platooning him (again).

He's looked good in RF. He's certainly not hurting us there at this point. His career defense in RF is about PAR by both UZR and DRS. He has stated he more comfortable there and lobbied for RF in ST. He's generally been hitting the ball hard even thought the power numbers aren't there. De Aza has been terrible at the plate (and made some really dumb plays). So has Pearce. Like it or not Lough is not viewed as a real option in regular play. I'm not sure what the situation is with Snider though but there may be issues with his defense in RF. The RHP yesterday was killer against LHB's, so that case was understandable. Me, I'd ride out De Aza and Snider in the platoon and reserve Young more for lefties. I doubt it's a long term thing though (depending on Pearce and De Aza) unless Young continues to field competently in RF and is able to produce something close to last year offensively.

He's looked good in RF. He's certainly not hurting us there at this point. His career defense in RF is about PAR by both UZR and DRS. He has stated his is more comfortable there and lobbied for RF in ST. He's generally been hitting the ball hard even thought he power numbers aren't there. De Aza has been terrible at the plate. So has Pearce. Like it or not Lough is not viewed as a real option in regular play. I'm not sure what the situation is with Snider though but there may be issues with his defense in RF. The RHP yesterday was killer against LHB's, so that case was understandable. Me I'd ride out De Aza and Snider in the platoon and reserve Young more for lefties. I doubt it's a long term thing though (depending on Pearce and De Aza) unless Young continues to field competently in RF and is able to produce something close to last year offensively.

FG has his hard contact percentage at 17.5, which is much lower than his career 30.1. His soft contact rate is 28.6, well above his career average of 16.1. He actually isn't hitting the ball all that hard. So, what's the secret so far?

Seeing eye grounders bleeding through the infield. That's not going to sustain his .360 BABIP.

FG has his hard contact percentage at 17.5, which is much lower than his career 30.1. His soft contact rate is 28.6, well above his career average of 16.1. He actually isn't hitting the ball all that hard. So, what's the secret so far?

Seeing eye grounders bleeding through the infield. That's not going to sustain his .360 BABIP.

No he won't sustain a 360 babip, but his career babip is 325 so its not that far off and GB's have a better chance to be hits more than K's and he generally puts balls in play. I also doubt he's going to retain a 360 Slg Pct and a 0% HR/FB rate this year. I have a strong stomach though, I'd be playing De Aza more and Young less.

Archived