Court hearing on MASN arbitration award

spiritof66

As far as I can tell, the hearing on the motions to confirm and to vacate the MASN/Nationals/Orioles/MLB arbitration award is still scheduled for Monday morning, May 18, before Justice Marks in Manhattan. (There were some filings in the case yesterday, and there is nothing in the court docket about postponing the hearing again.) If anyone has any different information, please share it.

I am planning on attending the hearing if it goes forward on the 18th. Having retired a couple of years ago after 34 years as a commercial litigator based in New York, I should have a pretty good understanding of what goes on at the hearing, and I will post some sort of report, probably on Monday night. (There's a slight chance I won't be able to get to the hearing, but at this point I'm pretty confident I will.)

The purpose of this kind of hearing is to give the lawyers a chance to crystallize their arguments and respond to the other side's contentions and evidence, as well as to questions or concerns presented to them by the judge. There is no testimony from witnesses except under extraordinary circumstances that would require persuading the judge in advance that testimony is appropriate. Sometimes the questions and comments provide some insight into where the judge may be heading, and it's possible the judge will give some indication as to when he will rule.

spiritof66 - It will be interesting to read your take on this whole thing. As far as I am concerned this has already dragged on too long. From recent experience, it seems that the court system moves slower than a snail.

As far as I can tell, the hearing on the motions to confirm and to vacate the MASN/Nationals/Orioles/MLB arbitration award is still scheduled for Monday morning, May 18, before Justice Marks in Manhattan. (There were some filings in the case yesterday, and there is nothing in the court docket about postponing the hearing again.) If anyone has any different information, please share it.

I am planning on attending the hearing if it goes forward on the 18th. Having retired a couple of years ago after 34 years as a commercial litigator based in New York, I should have a pretty good understanding of what goes on at the hearing, and I will post some sort of report, probably on Monday night. (There's a slight chance I won't be able to get to the hearing, but at this point I'm pretty confident I will.)

The purpose of this kind of hearing is to give the lawyers a chance to crystallize their arguments and respond to the other side's contentions and evidence, as well as to questions or concerns presented to them by the judge. There is no testimony from witnesses except under extraordinary circumstances that would require persuading the judge in advance that testimony is appropriate. Sometimes the questions and comments provide some insight into where the judge may be heading, and it's possible the judge will give some indication as to when he will rule.

Feel free to email me at weams [AT] orioleshangout dot com if you have anything you would like for me to put on the front page.

Judge Lawrence K. Marks was appointed to the Court of Claims by Governor David Paterson in 2009. He was also appointed as an Acting Supreme Court Justice at that time. Judge Marks has been a Commercial Division judge since January 2011, sitting first in Nassau County and now in New York County.

In addition to presiding over an active commercial part, Judge Marks is also the First Deputy Chief Administrative Judge, the second-ranking administrative position in the state court system. In that role, he assists the Chief Judge and the Chief Administrative Judge in all aspects of the administration and operation of the state courts. His responsibilities include working with the administrative judges throughout the state in developing programs and strategies to better manage caseloads and address case backlogs.

Judge Marks previously served as Administrative Director of the Office of Court Administration, as Special Counsel to the Chief Administrative Judge and as OCA's Deputy Counsel for Criminal Justice.

Prior to joining the court system, he was a senior supervising attorney with the Legal Aid Society in New York City, in private practice and a law clerk to U.S. District Judge Thomas C. Platt.

Judge Marks is a graduate of the State University of New York at Albany (magna cum laude) and Cornell Law School (cum laude), where he was an editor of the law review.

Archived