Roberts Trade on Hold...ESPN Insider

Elvis Presley

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the Chicago links, I found it interesting that Ceda was listed among the young arms that haven't exactly impressed Piniella & that Gallagher got clobbered in his last ST outing.

Nobody really expected Ceda to make the team this year. He has overwhelming stuff, but he is very young and needs more time in the minors to master his control problems. Gallagher will eventually end up at AAA unless he's traded. As for getting clobbered, look at the calendar. If he is getting clobbered next month, I'll be worried.

Small update from Churchill at http://www.prospectinsider.com

Quote:

"It's serious, just not close in terms of agreeing on a package. MacPhail isn't being realistic, and it doesn't help that the same philosophy worked with Seattle in the Bedard deal.

It seems it changes everyday from Baltimore's perspective. One day I'm being told that "we're getting there, give it a week." The next day, literally, I'm being told by the same people that "oh boy, this not going anywhere."

Piniella is disappointed with the early spring performances of young pitchers Jose Ascanio, Sean Gallagher, Esmailin Caridad, Jose Ceda and even Neal Cotts. ''You look at these guys prior to the games starting, and you think to yourself, 'Boy, this guy's got a good arm or this guy's got a good slider,' and all of a sudden, you put an umpire out there and start selling some beer in the stands, and it changes around a little bit,'' Piniella said

Love this quote.

Quote:

"It's serious, just not close in terms of agreeing on a package. MacPhail isn't being realistic, and it doesn't help that the same philosophy worked with Seattle in the Bedard deal.

It seems it changes everyday from Baltimore's perspective. One day I'm being told that "we're getting there, give it a week." The next day, literally, I'm being told by the same people that "oh boy, this not going anywhere."

Churchill is a biased butthurt reporter ever since the Bedard trade. I really don't take anything he says seriously.

Quote:

Well, if it worked with Seattle, then how was it unrealistic?

If it worked, doesn't that kinda prove it was realistic?

I'm not an ESPN Insider subscriber....anyone got access to the story?

McPhail said on 2 interviews today that nothing was going on. If it is not right the h@@@ with the Cubs. Hold onto BRob for the time being.

I'm not an ESPN Insider subscriber....anyone got access to the story?

Sorry it will not let me copy it but basically it says Ted Hendry said there have been no serious talks for the last 5 or 6 days. The Cubs would still like to acquire Roberts but nothing is imminent. No big news there.

Well, if it worked with Seattle, then how was it unrealistic?

If it worked, doesn't that kinda prove it was realistic?

Not necessarily. Seattle was set on getting Bedard, no matter what, pretty much. Hence, why the trade went from 3 players to 5 players. That same dealing could be unrealistic if Hendry isn't dead set on getting Roberts.

By the way, Churchill is pretty good at what he does. He had the 5 players that were going to be traded from Seattle well over a month before the deal went down. He has plenty of contacts with scouts and people inside ML teams to back up most of the things he says.

Quote:

Churchill is a bonehead. I thought we were done with him.

Churchill is a biased butthurt reporter ever since the Bedard trade. I really don't take anything he says seriously.

Except for the fact that he was the ONLY one who had all five players coming back in the trade correct three weeks before the deal was consummated. Rosenthal at Fox Sports had it as a four-for-1 with Chen or Tuiasosopo being one of the players and not one of the ESPN, SI or local writers were all over that one like Churchill was.

Player hate all you want, but the guy has connections, in and out of the Orioles front office.

Archived