Gausman to DL (Shoulder Tendonitis)

TonySoprano

Drew Smyly was diagnosed with tendonitis in spring training and missed three weeks. After returning to the rotation in late April, he made three very good starts. But, his velocity was down in the third start and he has been placed on the DL and is expected to have season ending surgery. This seems like the worst case scenario for Gausman. Hopefully, his case will turn out better.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gausman said the other day when it was announced that he'd be seeing the doctor, so the answer is still both. He could have pitched and he's seeing the doctor. The question is if he had pitched would it have made whatever he has worse.

BTW, concerning Q's statement, Gausman was pumping 97 mph knee high fast balls and great splitters in his last appearance. His last 3-4 appearances were his best of the year. I had wondered to myself if they possible altered his arm slot just a bit to get on top of the splitter and fastball better. Also noted that it appeared to me that he had changed his landing foot to more direct to the plate where earlier he had been stepping towards 3B (from the windup) and throwing across his body, earlier in the season. Throwing across his body could have aggravated the shoulder or changing things could have. Who knows.

Any of those delivery alterations could lead to tendonitis. I still pitch in my backyard with my mound and net. I feel the shoulder stress when I tinker with my landing in regards to throwing crossbody or more straight at the hitter. Couldn't imagine the stress being put on the shoulder throwing cross body at 95 mph plus

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gausman says shoulder feels like "nothing ever happened." Much better. MRI tomorrow as precaution but doesn't think anything structural</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gausman says shoulder feels like "nothing ever happened." Much better. MRI tomorrow as precaution but doesn't think anything structural</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 11, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Famous last words. Might as well say he is visiting Dr. Andrews just as a precaution :)

One of the early appearances hew was throwing 99-100mph and then throttled it down right after that. It was pretty cool but not that effective.

It's nice to be able to throw that after you get ahead in the count, 0-2.

According to MLBTR:

• Orioles righty Kevin Gausman is currently on the disabled list and could be activated as soon as May 22, but when he does come off the DL, he’ll likely head to Triple-A and work as a starter, writes Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun. Orioles manager Buck Showalter worries that Gausman has been underutilized coming out of the bullpen this season. Gausman himself told Encina that the team has said they don’t want him to finish the season with 40-50 innings and then have to jump into the rotation in 2016. As Encina notes, both Wei-Yin Chen and Bud Norris are free agents at season’s end, which could pave the way for a rotation spot with Gausman’s name on it.

That is just a tragedy. One of our best pitchers should not be wasting a season at AAA. I hope they bring him back soon whether it is in the bullpen or Bud's spot.

Well he needs to get stretched out. He will be down for at least 3 starts. Hopefully the experiment in the bullpen is done.

Archived