Asking For A Stats Guru Explanation

Old#5fan

I think I may know the answer to my question but need confirmation from more knowledgeable stats people. During our recent losing streak I am noticing that we are getting lots of hits but very few runs. Whereas the teams beating us (Mets and Yankees are actually getting a lot fewer hits but out scoring us. My question is whether this is some sort of anomaly or is there less correlation to numbers of hits to runs scored in a game? This just doesn't make much sense to me to see the Orioles get 9 hits in shame and just a run scored when the opponent gets 4 runs with 7 hits. Or tonite where we have 5 hits and 0 runs and Yankees have 5 hits and 5 runs. Is it the mark of a playoff caliber team to have a very high ratio of runs per hits and a bad team to score far fewer runs per hits? Just curious as it is very frustrating to watch!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I may know the answer to my question but need confirmation from more knowledgeable stats people. During our recent losing streak I am noticing that we are getting lots of hits but very few runs. Whereas the teams beating us (Mets and Yankees are actually getting a lot fewer hits but out scoring us. My question is whether this is some sort of anomaly or is there less correlation to numbers of hits to runs scored in a game? This just doesn't make much sense to me to see the Orioles get 9 hits in shame and just a run scored when the opponent gets 4 runs with 7 hits. Or tonite where we have 5 hits and 0 runs and Yankees have 5 hits and 5 runs. Is it the mark of a playoff caliber team to have a very high ratio of runs per hits and a bad team to score far fewer runs per hits? Just curious as it is very frustrating to watch!

There is no correlation in the types of small sample sizes you are attempting to parse.

People search in vain for reason in a universe of chaos.

Let me attempt to clarify my question. Normally, if you look at a teams number of runs scored versus number of hits (say for a season) do the best (top tier) offensive teams normally have a higher percentage of runs scored per hits, or is it more normal for the team with the most hits to outscore a team with fewer hits? Or is there some sort of minimum differential (total hits/total runs scored) before the number of hits/versus runs is any kind of important indicator?

Beats watching tonight's game.

A dude with two surgically repaired hips just hit a triple.

Hey, did it also appear that a kid seemed almost to interfere with Jones as he attempted to make that catch? I mean in the replay it looked like they essentially touched gloves. Yet no mention of that was made by the Orioles announcers and am also sort of surprised Buck didn't ask them to take a look at potential fan interference.

Hey, did it also appear that a kid seemed almost to interfere with Jones as he attempted to make that catch? I mean in the replay it looked like they essentially touched gloves. Yet no mention of that was made by the Orioles announcers and am also sort of surprised Buck didn't ask them to take a look at potential fan interference.

I don't know.

I'm a stat guy, I can't be bothered to actually watch the games.

;)

Let me attempt to clarify my question. Normally, if you look at a teams number of runs scored versus number of hits (say for a season) do the best (top tier) offensive teams normally have a higher percentage of runs scored per hits, or is it more normal for the team with the most hits to outscore a team with fewer hits? Or is there some sort of minimum differential (total hits/total runs scored) before the number of hits/versus runs is any kind of important indicator?

No. The teams who have the most bases usually have the most runs. Not the most hits.

Oh. And the Orioles are a Top Tier offensive team.

Oh. And the Orioles are a Top Tier offensive team.

Yeah I know but would like an answer as to what is the problem WITH A TEAM that is consistently out hitting their opposition but not outscoring them. There has to be some sort of issue that points to.

Archived