Asking For A Stats Guru Explanation

Old#5fan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I know but would like an answer as to what is the problem WITH A TEAM that is consistently out hitting their opposition but not outscoring them. There has to be some sort of issue that points to.

Less than superior defense

Two out hits don't mean anything (unless they score runs)

Middle of the road pitching.

Less than superior defense

Two out hits don't mean anything (unless they score runs)

Middle of the road pitching.

W

Yeah it seems like they get a lot of what I call "meaningless" hits. (or perhaps better termed, hits that end up as meaningless). They seem to excel in those. Whereas the Mets and Yankees and even Toronto when playing the Orioles get hits that score a bunch of runs. Even our home runs this season seem to be solo or two run types.

W

Yeah it seems like they get a lot of what I call "meaningless" hits. (or perhaps better termed, hits that end up as meaningless). They seem to excel in those. Whereas the Mets and Yankees and even Toronto when playing the Orioles get hits that score a bunch of runs. Even our home runs this season seem to be solo or two run types.

Good enough. Go with it.

Fair enough question, with a fairly easy answer. Hits (think BA)doesn't tell you (1) walks (think OBP), (2) extra base hits (think SLG), (3) timing of the hits (think RISP hitting), (4) baserunning, or (5) productive outs. Just looking at last night, Gardner's play to throw out Manny in the 1st cost us a run, Manny's CS in his next AB cost us an opportunity.

Generally speaking, both OBP and SLG correlate better with runs scored than BA does.

Fair enough question, with a fairly easy answer. Hits (think BA)doesn't tell you (1) walks (think OBP), (2) extra base hits (think SLG), (3) timing of the hits (think RISP hitting), (4) baserunning, or (5) productive outs. Just looking at last night, Gardner's play to throw out Manny in the 1st cost us a run, Manny's CS in his next AB cost us an opportunity.

Generally speaking, both OBP and SLG correlate better with runs scored than BA does.

Excellent, smart answer. Thank you.

But it neglects to address the words "clutchy-ness" and "meaningless." In an existential manner. That was the purpose for the question unfortunately.

Not really looking to be educated I fear.

Yeah I know but would like an answer as to what is the problem WITH A TEAM that is consistently out hitting their opposition but not outscoring them. There has to be some sort of issue that points to.

No. It just means the sample size if too small for it to even out. Or that the Pitching is actually the problem. Either. Or both.

Thank you! This is a wonderful explanation and exactly what I was reaching out for! So in effect out hitting the opposition in the overall picture doesn't help all that much or matter!

Excellent, smart answer. Thank you.

But it neglects to address the words "clutchy-ness" and "meaningless." In an existential manner. That was the purpose for the question unfortunately.

Not really looking to be educated I fear.

Actually your fear is unfounded as I appreciate any and all serious answers to my questions regarding this issue!

Actually your fear is unfounded as I appreciate any and all serious answers to my questions regarding this issue!

Ok. Total hits is not the single determinant to runs scored. Over a long term all teams with similar on base and slugging averages will score similarly. Just like playing a slot machine. You just have to keep playing long enough to lose. It's math. And not an opinion.

Ok. Total hits is not the single determinant to runs scored. Over a long term all teams with similar on base and slugging averages will score similarly. Just like playing a slot machine. You just have to keep playing long enough to lose. It's math. And not an opinion.

I do get that of course - Frobby explained it extremely well in a singular response post. However, based on his explanation total hits would seem to rank no higher than maybe 5th or 6th on the scale of importance in scoring runs. This is actually what I am trying to gain a grasp thereof - so is that more or less a fair take?

Archived