Pirates Turn the First 4-5-4 Triple Play in Major League Baseball History

OFFNY

o

The Cardinals had runners on second and third base with nobody out.

Yadier Molina lined out to Pirates 2nd baseman Neil Walker.

Walker fired the ball to third baseman Jung-ho Kang to double off Jhonny Peralta for the second out.

Kang threw back to Walker, who was standing on second base for the final out.

Cardinals base-runner Jason Heyward had frozen between second and third base during the play.

Pittsburgh Pirates Pull off First 4-5-4 Triple Play in M.L.B. History Against Cardinals

(By Justin L. Abrotsky)

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/pittsburgh-pirates-triple-play-st-louis-cardinals

o

o

The Cardinals had runners on second and third base with nobody out.

Yadier Molina lined out to Pirates 2nd baseman Neil Walker.

Walker fired the ball to third baseman Jung-ho Kang to double off Jhonny Peralta for the second out.

Kang threw back to Walker, who was standing on second base for the final out.

Cardinals base-runner Jason Heyward had frozen between second and third base during the play.

Pittsburgh Pirates Pull off First 4-5-4 Triple Play in M.L.B. History Against Cardinals

(By Justin L. Abrotsky)

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/pittsburgh-pirates-triple-play-st-louis-cardinals

050915_pit_triple_play_high_u8mo8iux.gif

I think they both thought he had already stepped on 2nd.

Not sure how that matters. It's irrelevant for the man on 3rd since it wasn't a force situation.

I guess you are saying the guy on 2nd thought he was already out due to mistakenly thinking the 2bman had stepped on 2b? Maybe, though he was so far off I don't think itade that big a difference

Not sure how that matters. It's irrelevant for the man on 3rd since it wasn't a force situation.

I guess you are saying the guy on 2nd thought he was already out due to mistakenly thinking the 2bman had stepped on 2b? Maybe, though he was so far off I don't think itade that big a difference

I don't think it had an effect on the play. I was just giving an explanation for the delays by Kang and Heyward.

Archived