Deadline Sell Likelihood

FanSince88

Most Likely to be Sold at Trade Deadline?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Most Likely to be Sold at Trade Deadline?

• Chen
    • Ubaldo
    • Davis
    • Other
    • None -- the O's will hold if they are out of contention

If this team continues to struggle and is basically out of contention in July, who is the most likely to be dealt?

I think Chen or Ubaldo could be attractive options to a contending team. Especially Chen -- we might be able to get a very good return for him if he continues pitching well.

I doubt Norris gets sold at this point barring a dramatic turnaround. Who would want him? Maybe someone who needs a long reliever or spot starter? You'd get nothing but a bag of balls in return though. No way there will be any suitors for Wieters either. May as well keep him if for no other reason than to spell Caleb late in the season.

I don't know that any players they could acquire that would be worth losing the comp pick. Chen would seem the most likely to be dealt as I think he could bring back some decent value as he is very inexpensive.

Yeah Chen is the only player with excess value but he is possibly the only one with a QO.

The funny thing about the people telling firesale is that the parts to move don't have much value. The free agents to be are mainly the reason we are struggling in the first place.

And like Stotle said, the team would have to be very out of it to consider. They aren't quite Milwaukee or Oakland bad.

I don't know that any players they could acquire that would be worth losing the comp pick. Chen would seem the most likely to be dealt as I think he could bring back some decent value as he is very inexpensive.
I've heard and read some things on the radio and in various forums that the Os are considering making a run to resign Chen. This might be the best move. I don't think that the Os should completely dismantle themselves in a fire sale. The only player I voted to trade/whatever is Chris Davis. I think that he's gone after this season. I wouldn't mind trading Norris but the team won't get a whole lot for him.

Yeah Chen is the only player with excess value but he is possibly the only one with a QO.

The funny thing about the people telling firesale is that the parts to move don't have much value. The free agents to be are mainly the reason we are struggling in the first place.

And like Stotle said, the team would have to be very out of it to consider. They aren't quite Milwaukee or Oakland bad.

You think Davis and Wieters don't get QA?

I doubt that the Orioles are going to be in a position to sell. Especially considering that they are only three games back in the loss column while being a couple of games below .500 at this point. I

Look at it this way -- I think it's very unlikely anyone catches Detroit or KC this year. One of those teams is getting the first wild card. If the Yanks can avoid injury for the next month they could run away with the AL East. That leaves only one wild card up for grabs. I am not optimistic we get it unless we are at or above .500 by July 1.

I forgot to mention Britton in the poll but I think he could be a dark horse sell candidate. Considering all the losses this team faces in the offseason, they may want to try and replace the players they stand to lose before paying a closer. Closers are only valuable if your team is good enough to consistently take a lead to the 9th inning. This team may not be good enough to do that this year, and it's even less likely they will be good enough to do that next season.

Look at it this way -- I think it's very unlikely anyone catches Detroit or KC this year. One of those teams is getting the first wild card. If the Yanks can avoid injury for the next month they could run away with the AL East. That leaves only one wild card up for grabs. I am not optimistic we get it unless we are at or above .500 by July 1.

I forgot to mention Britton in the poll but I think he could be a dark horse sell candidate. Considering all the losses this team faces in the offseason, they may want to try and replace the players they stand to lose before paying a closer. Closers are only valuable if your team is good enough to consistently take a lead to the 9th inning. This team may not be good enough to do that this year, and it's even less likely they will be good enough to do that next season.

Did anyone expect anyone to catch Oakland last year? I expect the unexpected.

My overall point is that the Orioles will most likely be bunched in with four or five other teams that will be in the hunt for a wild card spot. Because of the wild card spots you see less selling around the deadline. This team expects to contend and barring a collapse they most will not be sellers IMO. Further, I doubt that Britton would be one of the pieces that they would move if they collapse and are in a position to sell. He's young, cheap, and under team control over the next few years. I could see them moving a spare part like De Aza or get prospects for Davis if they indeed fade from contention.

Archived