Jimmy Having Himself a Hit Parede(s)

Yardball85

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Palmer made a comment during his first AB that the scouting report on him is out. He had swung and missed looking fastball on a first pitch breaking ball, ending in a strikeout. But just when you think he might slow down, he has a big game. Still has a 20 game streak with a hit or a walk. I thought this was an experiment while Schoop is out, but he has earned the DH spot and they will have to find a spot for Pearce. Baseball is a crazy game.

If he continues to hit like this, he will have a DH spot for a long time. Arb eligible in 2017. FA eligible in 2020.

Part of me feels like I have hears 100 PA as a bright line for drawing light conclusions. Maybe that is because it is an easy, round arbitrary cutoff point. Jimmy is at 109 PA on the season following tonight's game.

Don't forget his 55 ABs last year, during which he put up a very solid .302/.375/.606/.818

I don't know if Paredes would be that ridiculous of a breakout. This is his age 26 season. Bautista is the poster child often used for a late career breakout and his wow season was 29. Paredes is decently ahead of the common wisdom prescribed prime of 28 - 31/32.

I love the power to all fields, the fact that I've seen him hit balls hard in every quandrant of the strike zone, the fact that I've seen him hit every type of pitch on both sides of the plate hard, and the fact that despite a vicious swing he has a plan that includes contact with two strikes. I've been buying him for awhile. I'm not ready to call him the MVP candidate he has been thus far, but he should at least be able to produce enough to be a regular starter from what I've seen and his ceiling is pretty damn high. I'm very happy about him.
But how is this possible given his career numbers? They don't show him to be this kind of a hitter. He couldn't have just figured something out could he? Things like this just don't happen. It has to be a Newhan like glitch, right?

Steve Pearce was for real last season. Jimmy is real this season.
And we're back with the linear sabermatrics. Steve Pearce was bad for 3 years, therefore he'll always be bad. His 2014 season was a fluke and now he'sl reverting to what he was before. Jimmy Paredes has been mediocre as a hitter for most of his career. Therefore, this year is a fluke and he'll revert to his old, mediorcre offense and power numbers.

As I said in an earlier post somewhere, the current sabermatrics is linear in nature. It doesn't account for changes in performance. I have't yet figured out how to do the differentiation that needs to be done in order to reflect changes in performance. It's been quite a while since I studied differential calculus; I guess I have to get my old calculus book out. But the idea that A=B, therefore A will always = B doesn't work in real life with real ballplayers (and other human beings).

What I've actually observed with Pearce is that he started out in a slump. There are signs that he's beginning to come out of that slump and is producing decent offensive numbers and eventually, he'll revert back to the new norm that he displayed in 2014. There is no reason to believe that Paredes will some how revert to his old numbers. So I'm going to enjoy the ride.

But how is this possible given his career numbers? They don't show him to be this kind of a hitter. He couldn't have just figured something out could he? Things like this just don't happen. It has to be a Newhan like glitch, right?
I'm sorry, but this ignorant math major has to ask: what exactly is a "Newhan like glitch"? :confused:

I'm sorry, but this ignorant math major has to ask: what exactly is a "Newhan like glitch"? :confused:
David Newhan, a mediocre ballplayer with a career .692 OPS, who hit .311 .361 .453 .814 for the O's in 412 PA in 2004.

Maybe our new hitting coach has helped him by correcting something in his swing or hitting approach?

I won't pretend to know what is going on with Paredes. But you could count the number of MVP-caliber performances following seasons where a guy was waived after being the 10th-best player on a AAA team on zero fingers.

I won't pretend to know what is going on with Paredes. But you could count the number of MVP-caliber performances following seasons where a guy was waived after being the 10th-best player on a AAA team on zero fingers.

I'm not counting on an MVP-caliber performance out of Paredes, but I have to say, just watching him at the plate both last year and this one, he just looks pretty darned good up there. And I'm not just talking about the results (though I'm sure they influence my perception a lot). He's got a nice stance, a nice swing, a good approach and is pretty strong. I'm not going to assume that he's sub-.700 OPS guy in the long term, based on what I'm seeing.

Yea I think Drungo may be setting up a false dichotomy a bit.

Obviously there are a lot of acceptable (or better) levels of performances that would really benefit the Orioles on the spectrum between sub-replacement level and MVP caliber level. I'd certainly be happy with something in the middle.

Archived