Watching David Lough Bat Makes My Eyes Bleed

Rene88

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been wondering about this. All i can figure is there is a misconception due to the sporadic nature of Lough's playing time. So like he starts once a week and goes 1 for 3 (meh), then 0 for 1 (boo hiss), then 0 for 1 (boo hoo), then 1 for 1 (eh a single in the 8th whatever). And so people get an impression that he doesn't hit at all and he actually bats .333 that week. I dunno.. spitballin.

He had a .724 OPS in 2013 in KC when he got consistent ABs. I'll take that with his defense over De Aza and Snider any day of the week.

I would try to pass De Aza through waivers. Maybe he gets claimed. With how he's hitting now it's a big maybe.

I don't see the O's swallowing 5 mil. De Aza has a better bat than Lough regardless of what the SSS offensive #'s show at this point.

I get where you're coming from, but we're swallowing the 5 mil regardless (unless we fleece someone with a trade.. my dream scenario at this point). I'd rather swallow a contract we already signed and keep control over a decent player for next year, considering the tumult we're going to face in the off-season.

I would try to pass De Aza through waivers. Maybe he gets claimed. With how he's hitting now it's a big maybe.

I don't see the O's swallowing 5 mil. De Aza has a better bat than Lough regardless of what the SSS offensive #'s show at this point.

Not by much.

De Aza (career) - .266/.328/.402, 99 OPS+

Lough (career) - .267/.307/.392, 92 OPS+

Totally agree. Right now my depth chart for corner OF is Snider, Young, Pearce, Lough, De Aza. I am under no illusions about Lough's offense but I would rather watch his poor ABs than De Aza's poor defense and bunting with a guy on third base.

Snider seems to be in the dog house, I'm guessing because of his defense. Of the five, Delmon has been getting the most playing time lately. I would like to see more of Snider and Pearce.

I have been wondering about this. All i can figure is there is a misconception due to the sporadic nature of Lough's playing time. So like he starts once a week and goes 1 for 3 (meh), then 0 for 1 (boo hiss), then 0 for 1 (boo hoo), then 1 for 1 (eh a single in the 8th whatever). And so people get an impression that he doesn't hit at all and he actually bats .333 that week. I dunno.. spitballin.

I've seen enough of Lough to know that he has a consistently poor approach at the plate, little to no power, and speed that he isn't able to utilize because he doesn't get on base or when he does gets thrown out trying to steal.

When De Aza is on he's a guy that can get on base consistently with some gap power. Lough doesn't have that kind of upside with the bat. I think that's what Buck sees and why you haven't seen Lough playing more.

You would have Flash. You don't think he can produce substantially lower then replacement level production at short?

Yeah, I'm not following. Type slower, I don't read so fast. When Schoop comes back, someone has to be removed. . I have Lough being removed with one of Flaherty/Cabrera/Navarro on the roster. Then you quoted me and said something about middle infielders not earning their pay, or something similar. I guess I don't know what that means. I took it as you'd keep Lough and send down the back up infielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen enough of Lough to know that he has a consistently poor approach at the plate, little to no power, and speed that he isn't able to utilize because he doesn't get on base or when he does gets thrown out trying to steal.

When De Aza is on he's a guy that can get on base consistently with some gap power. Lough doesn't have that kind of upside with the bat. I think that's what Buck sees and why you haven't seen Lough playing more.

I just cannot agree with your assessment sorry. One player has a .392 career SLG and one has a .402 career SLG, which I looked up to confirm what my eyes were telling me. They have roughly the same amount of power. In terms of their approach.. Lough's OBP .318, de Aza .250, you tell me.

Oh yeah, Lough hasn't tried to steal 3rd with 2 outs (etc.).

I just cannot agree with your assessment sorry. One player has a .392 career SLG and one has a .402 career SLG, which I looked up to confirm what my eyes were telling me. They have roughly the same amount of power. In terms of their approach.. Lough's OBP .318, de Aza .250, you tell me.

Oh yeah, Lough hasn't tried to steal 3rd with 2 outs (etc.).

If you think Lough deserves a chance to start fine. But let's not point to Lough's 18 at bats in 2015 as any kind of proof that he is a better offensive player than De Aza. BTW, I'm not advocating playing De Aza and sitting Lough. I'd like to see them both sit at this point.

We are not going to see a full time starter in either of the corner positions. I just don't see that happening. Buck is going to continue trying to play the matchup game and going with the player that seems to be hot at the moment. Delmon has been doing the right things so he is getting the playing time. When he starts flogging the old dolphin then he'll sit. That being said if Lough is a better matchup then I am confident that Buck will play him. Bottom line is that we haven't seen enough ABs from any of the OF trio to make any real comparison based on production. Lough seems to have better range in the OF. Delmon has been holding his own out there in RF so that is always a plus. I would love to see a regual every day OF, but if we get production out of the corners playing the platoon methodolgy then I am all good with that as well.

Archived