Question about Garcia

doctorbj

Roch posted about Garcia this AM.

Palmer said that September doesn't count towards the 90 days required to be on the roster. I have heard numerous places it does.

Does anyone really know? Because if September does count, there is hope. If not, no way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Palmer said that September doesn't count towards the 90 days required to be on the roster. I have heard numerous places it does.

Does anyone really know? Because if September does count, there is hope. If not, no way.

September 100% counts. Palmer was mistaken.

He already has like 36-37 days correct? September through the end of year is 34 more days. They need to use him around 3 weeks somehow to avoid losing him or going back to Rule 5 next year. Best thing might be to bring him up right before All Star break- I assume those days count-and get through July with him. Then in August he gets a mystery arm injury and is brought back in September.

He already has like 36-37 days correct? September through the end of year is 34 more days. They need to use him around 3 weeks somehow to avoid losing him or going back to Rule 5 next year. Best thing might be to bring him up right before All Star break- I assume those days count-and get through July with him. Then in August he gets a mystery arm injury and is brought back in September.

I think it is 20 games that he needs.

September 100% counts. Palmer was mistaken.

Thanks. I thought so.

So how many days has he been on the roster so far? Trying to figure out how many more days he has to be on roster...

Thanks Eddie!!!

I think it is 20 games that he needs.

It is worth a try to make it happen. Garcia would have no reason not to go along. More money plus service time. Just find him 3 weeks somehow and then he gets hurt, it would look fishy but how could it be proven?

It is worth a try to make it happen. Garcia would have no reason not to go along. More money plus service time. Just find him 3 weeks somehow and then he gets hurt, it would look fishy but how could it be proven?

Agreed. 20 days is a no-Brainer even if he doesn't pan out, worth it.

Excellent. Thanks. So August 14.

I would still look at the All star break. As if you bring him up on the 8th of July and give him the 14 days it is only 9 games. We have a game on the 8th and then an off day followed by three vs the Nats. He houdn't be needed at all there as you have the option to skip a starter with the off day and putting an extra arm in the pen. Then after the break 3 days and then a day off again. Another spot we could add Norris or someone to the pen and have a 8 man pen. Then there is just two more games and his 90 days is up. That is the perfect time to do it if you want to and then he gets hurt again. He would really never be needed as the pen would still be 8 men at all times.

I would still look at the All star break. As if you bring him up on the 8th of July and give him the 14 days it is only 9 games. We have a game on the 8th and then an off day followed by three vs the Nats. He houdn't be needed at all there as you have the option to skip a starter with the off day and putting an extra arm in the pen. Then after the break 3 days and then a day off again. Another spot we could add Norris or someone to the pen and have a 8 man pen. Then there is just two more games and his 90 days is up. That is the perfect time to do it if you want to and then he gets hurt again. He would really never be needed as the pen would still be 8 men at all times.

No. I do not agree with the fake hurt stuff. Sorry. Don't believe we do it. Don't believe it should be done.

That's outstanding forward thinking. We would need a shake up with our non option able relievers. When W Wright gets back, we'll be at 7...and that's without adding Gausman to the rotation and moving Bud to the BP.

This is the Roch quote:

* To settle the confusion over Jason Garcia, he would retain Rule 5 status throughout the 2016 season if he falls short of 90 active days this season on the Orioles' 25-man roster. It's not like he can take his days into the following season and suddenly become eligible to be optioned over the summer.

Garcia remains at extended spring training and he isn't pitching, as far as we know. We're told that he's "progressing" from right shoulder tendinitis. That's pretty much the extent of it.

This seems to be more about 2016 than September. I love how he says "To settle the confusion..." Yeah right. Does this mean that he can stay on the DL all year? In that scenario, he does not count his days from this year, but he stays on the O's with Rule 5 status in 2016? We will have a lot more flexibility next year assuming departures of Matusz, O'Day, and Hunter. Depending on where we are with injuries, that might make more sense than having to DFA somebody this year to get JG his 14 days.

This is the Roch quote:

* To settle the confusion over Jason Garcia, he would retain Rule 5 status throughout the 2016 season if he falls short of 90 active days this season on the Orioles' 25-man roster. It's not like he can take his days into the following season and suddenly become eligible to be optioned over the summer.

Garcia remains at extended spring training and he isn't pitching, as far as we know. We're told that he's "progressing" from right shoulder tendinitis. That's pretty much the extent of it.

This seems to be more about 2016 than September. I love how he says "To settle the confusion..." Yeah right. Does this mean that he can stay on the DL all year? In that scenario, he does not count his days from this year, but he stays on the O's with Rule 5 status in 2016? We will have a lot more flexibility next year assuming departures of Matusz, O'Day, and Hunter. Depending on where we are with injuries, that might make more sense than having to DFA somebody this year to get JG his 14 days.

The days would count for him, but he could not be optioned next season after fulfilling the requirement. Hence it would be like a do over if carried over. Even though he would have credit for all but the 14 days. He could not be optioned in 2016.

Archived