Roch: 2016 Rotation

weams

The club is prepared to lose two-fifths of its rotation, including Norris, and already is projecting Kevin Gausman as one of the replacements. The Orioles think they can build a nice list of candidates for the other vacancy, including Mike Wright, Tyler Wilson, Zach Davies and Dylan Bundy.

Keep in mind that Bundy is out of minor league options after this season. The Orioles need to figure out whether he's a potential starter for them or a bullpen piece. It's already being discussed.

Bundy's fastball is back up to 96 mph at Double-A Bowie as he puts more distance between himself and the elbow surgery in 2013.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/05/taking-another-look-at-the-pending-free-agents.html

Great, so we'll have a de facto Rule 5 guy in Bundy on the roster next year, plus whatever actual Rule 5 guy we inevitably pick up. :cussing:

Get a grip.

You have a pretty dang good prospect that has the potential to be a TOR. Those don't grow on trees.

First, I don't think his fastball is sitting at 96, even if he's reached that. I read he was sitting at 94-95 in his last three inning stint (which, by the way, is not the same thing as doing that for 6-7 innings).

Second, I'm at least as interested in the movement and command of his fastball as I am about the velocity, not to mention how his secondary pitches are coming along. 96 mph by itself doesn't tell you anything about whether Bundy will make a successful jump to the majors.

That said, Bundy's numbers at AA compare pretty favorably to what he did there in 2012 pre-surgery (though in shorter outings):

2012: 16.2 IP, 14 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 8 BB, 13 K's

2015: 16.0 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 18 K's

Bundy's ratios are all at a level that would have made me happy in 2013 if he'd started that year at Bowie. If he can build up to 5 inning starts and maintain those ratios, I'll be pretty excited about it.

First, I don't think his fastball is sitting at 96, even if he's reached that. I read he was sitting at 94-95 in his last three inning stint (which, by the way, is not the same thing as going that for 6-7 innings).

Second, I'm at least as interested in the movement and command of his fastball as I am about the velocity, not to mention how his secondary pitches are coming along. 96 mph by itself doesn't tell you anything about whether Bundy will make a successful jump to the majors.

That said, Bundy's numbers at AA compare pretty favorably to what he did there in 2012 pre-surgery (though in shorter outings):

2012: 16.2 IP, 14 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 8 BB, 13 K's

2015: 16.0 IP, 11 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 18 K's

Bundy's ratios are all at a level that would have made me happy in 2013 if he'd started that year at Bowie. If he can build up to 5 inning starts and maintain those ratios, I'll be pretty excited about it.

I thought I recall reading minor league recaps and that he has been pretty dominant.

Yes, it's only AA, and at some point, I suspect we will see him in AAA this season.

29 other MLB want him, and yet, he is a roster space holder? smh

Well, it is annoying that we have to keep him on the major league roster no matter how he performs. He's very talented, but considering how little minor league seasoning he's had, he may not really be fully baked next year, compared to the other guys mentioned in the article who may not be as talented but are a lot more experienced.

I thought I recall reading minor league recaps and that he has been pretty dominant.

Yes, especially in his last 3-4 outings. I'm encouraged. I was just emphasizing that 96 mph only tells you a fraction of what you need to know.

MiL innings:

Wilson 533 (186 AA, 109 AAA)

Wright 477 (206 AA, 179 AAA)

Davies 400 (110 AA, 27 AAA)

Bundy 161 (32 AA)

There's no question that the combination of Bundy's injuries and his major league contract will force him to the majors without the benefit of full MiL development. Hopefully, he'll be up to the task. It's nice that we have these three other fully seasoned pitchers who will be ready to play a role AND have options.

I don't expect it to work out this well, but ideally they would get comp picks for Norris and Chen while Gausman and Bundy take over and provide equal or better production. Then the team can reallocate that $15M to lock up the likes of Manny/Tillman/Davis/Wieters.

Archived