Proof of how much the offense misses Cruz and Markakis

mdbdotcom

Nick and Nelson have been worth about 2 WAR this year. And that's with both of them out performing what most would expect from them. Delmon, Paredes and Snider have produced about 3 WAR in similar opportunities.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont think its the entire game he pitches badly.

He has 1-2 rough innings in the middle and he settles down.

The odd thing about his recent starts is that he's been very good in the first and second innings and falls down later. He had always been a guy you needed to get early, because that's when he was most vulnerable.

If you have Cruz' date=' I guess you could make him play LF and Paredes DH, but he last the whole season having to play the field?[/quote']

You could make the tongue in cheek argument that Cruz?s biggest impact would have been to improve our outfield defense. He has looked pretty good in the field so far this year, and has gotten more play in the outfield than expected.

Fine, we miss Cruz. But I wish people would stop harping on missing Markakis... offensively he has about the same OPS as Snider (Markakis has .739 OPS and Snider has .720), and he's still a negative player in the defensive stats. He's a mediocre player that we certainly did not need to keep at that salary.

You could make the tongue in cheek argument that Cruz?s biggest impact would have been to improve our outfield defense. He has looked pretty good in the field so far this year, and has gotten more play in the outfield than expected.

Yes, that -4 DRS and -37 UZR he has put up so far this year would really be an asset.

Fine, we miss Cruz. But I wish people would stop harping on missing Markakis... offensively he has about the same OPS as Snider (Markakis has .739 OPS and Snider has .720), and he's still a negative player in the defensive stats. He's a mediocre player that we certainly did not need to keep at that salary.

It's all about the intangibles. Nick's calming presence and understated Calvin Coolidge-esque leadership would have boosted Tillman's and Norris' confidence.

I think not making any boneheaded plays (yet) ingratiates yourself, UZR be dammed. Plus, his routes add a certain spice to things.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,a

He's been the 3rd worst defender in baseball this year according to Fangraphs. He might not be making boneheaded plays, but he's not making the expected plays either.

It's all about the intangibles. Nick's calming presence and understated Calvin Coolidge-esque leadership would have boosted Tillman's and Norris' confidence.

We lost some veteranosity (Cruz: 34, Markakis 31).;)

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2015&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,a

He's been the 3rd worst defender in baseball this year according to Fangraphs. He might not be making boneheaded plays, but he's not making the expected plays either.

There is a dismayed contingent of Seattle fans who can't understand why Nelson is out there instead of Seth Smith or Justin Ruggiano.

So -- that's proof of how much we don't miss them, right?

I'm pretty tired of this subject, to be honest. I've already concluded that starting pitching is going to decide our season, even though we didn't lose a single starting pitcher.

I agree. It's getting old.

If you seriously think clubhouse chemistry means absolutely nothing in sports, I have a ski resort in the United Arab Emirates that I'd love for you to look at.

Clubhouse chemistry absolutely exists. But it's also what you might call a BS dump - all the BS in the world gets dumped into clubhouse chemistry as an explanation for everything that happens that's out of the ordinary. The O's underperform for four weeks? Obviously it's bad chemistry! The A's get hot for three months? Chemistry! Nelson Cruz hits 12 homers in a month? He must be feelin' it because of awesome clubhouse chemistry.

That's what's great about intangibles - they can explain everything without any evidence at all!

Clubhouse chemistry absolutely exists. But it's also what you might call a BS dump - all the BS in the world gets dumped into clubhouse chemistry as an explanation for everything that happens that's out of the ordinary. The O's underperform for four weeks? Obviously it's bad chemistry! The A's get hot for three months? Chemistry! Nelson Cruz hits 12 homers in a month? He must be feelin' it because of awesome clubhouse chemistry.

That's what's great about intangibles - they can explain everything without any evidence at all!

Its really only when it saves money that folks get up in arms about this stuff. It's not ours. They charge us to be a fan. They should spend all the money on the best chance at good players and players who need to be paid more because they are intangibly good.

Clubhouse chemistry can only go so far. Markakis being friends with the players isn't going to make them hit better or pitch better. Maybe he can tell a joke to try to lighten the mood in a losing streak, but you don't pay a guy 10 million dollars to be buddy buddy in the clubhouse

Archived