Cubs on WGN Right Now...

Runs2the1Show

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You better tell today's radar gun, it obviously missed the report.

You guys obviously don't watch a lot of Cub games on WGN. The WGN gun is ALWAYS slow. Doesn't matter the pitcher or the time of year.

A better term is erratic for the WGN gun. Usually slow though.

They said Gallagher lost 30 lbs, I wonder if it affected his velocity. He looked good today but has had a poor spring.

It seems a little early to judge a 'poor spring". Pitchers are only on their 2nd or 3rd turn on the mound so far.

They said Gallagher lost 30 lbs, I wonder if it affected his velocity. He looked good today but has had a poor spring.

Just curious - what qualifies this as a "poor spring" when we are just over a week into spring training games? How many times has Gallagher pitched in games thus far?

After watching Cedeno play SS and 2b, Pie, CF, Patterson Pinch hit and Gallagher pitch 2 innings I have a few observations.

1. Pie, looks for real. He did not face a left handed pitcher. He showed good arm strength, speed, good knowledge of the strike zone.

2. Cedeno, Average fielder. foot work looked a little sloppy. Arm strong but eratic. Over matched at the plate.

3. Patterson, Only one at a bat swing at the first pitch. Weak ground out. Good speed to first. Did not look as fast as his brother.

4. Gallagher, Pitched 2 innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 K's. Only threw 2 pitches fastball and change. Fast ball was clocked 86 mph at the highest mostly 85 mph Change up was 79 to 81 mph. If he is forced to throw the ball over the plate he is going to get banged around. Nothing special here. I think in our division he will get bombed. To many patient hard hitting teams in the A L East.

From what I saw and from what I heard from there announcers I would not trade Roberts to the Cubs unless Pie was comming back.

They did bring up the trade. They made it sound like the O's were being a pain. They also discussed how important Roberts would be to their lineup.

After watching Cedeno play SS and 2b, Pie, CF, Patterson Pinch hit and Gallagher pitch 2 innings I have a few observations.

1. Pie, looks for real. He did not face a left handed pitcher. He showed good arm strength, speed, good knowledge of the strike zone.

2. Cedeno, Average fielder. foot work looked a little sloppy. Arm strong but eratic. Over matched at the plate.

3. Patterson, Only one at a bat swing at the first pitch. Weak ground out. Good speed to first. Did not look as fast as his brother.

4. Gallagher, Pitched 2 innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 K's. Only threw 2 pitches fastball and change. Fast ball was clocked 86 mph at the highest mostly 85 mph Change up was 79 to 81 mph. If he is forced to throw the ball over the plate he is going to get banged around. Nothing special here. I think in our division he will get bombed. To many patient hard hitting teams in the A L East.

From what I saw and from what I heard from there announcers I would not trade Roberts to the Cubs unless Pie was comming back.

They did bring up the trade. They made it sound like the O's were being a pain. They also discussed how important Roberts would be to their lineup.

86 mph huh. Well that stinks.

Radars were obviously off today, I didn't see a single pitch over 89 for any team. Howry's fastball was clocked at like 85 and he's normally in the mid 90's.

For any team? So you are suggesting that someone sabotaged radar guns all over Florida and Arizona simultaneously? Why? :D

Scouting reports have Gallagher at up to 94 MPH for his rising fastball and 89-91 for his sinking fastball. Many on the other Cubs Game thread have stated that the WGN radar is usually always off. I'll depend on the scouting reports and on Gallagher's stats in the minors. Amazing how many people are reacting negatively to the radar gun readings for Gallagher from one spring training game.

From a scout I spoke with Gallagher was throwing mid-90's and that the weight he lost hasn't affected his velocity.....

I thought it was reported earlier that the weight loss had increased his velocity as he had never been able to get above 91 or 92 when he was heavier. :confused:

Scouting reports have Gallagher at up to 94 MPH for his rising fastball and 89-91 for his sinking fastball. Many on the other Cubs Game thread have stated that the WGN radar is usually always off. I'll depend on the scouting reports and on Gallagher's stats in the minors. Amazing how many people are reacting negatively to the radar gun readings for Gallagher from one spring training game.

All I know was what I saw this game. Last game he got knocked around quite a bit. I don't care about what the radar said. I know if he throws like he did today and he is forced to throw the ball down the middle it will come back a lot quicker than it came in. At best he is a throw in.

Archived