Cubs on WGN Right Now...

Runs2the1Show

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I know was what I saw this game. Last game he got knocked around quite a bit. I don't care about what the radar said. I know if he throws like he did today and he is forced to throw the ball down the middle it will come back a lot quicker than it came in. At best he is a throw in.

So you're basing Gallagher's talent and upside on 1 spring training game. How about his 2.75 career minor league ERA? How about his 2.88 BB/9 ratio at AAA or his 8.19 K/9 ratio at AAA?

He got knocked around in limited time in the bigs last year, but was 21 years old. Calling him a throw in at best is the furthest thing from the truth i've heard on here in a while.

I thought it was reported earlier that the weight loss had increased his velocity as he had never been able to get above 91 or 92 when he was heavier. :confused:

The scouting report I pulled from 2005 had him throwing 94 before he lost the weight.

So you're basing Gallagher's talent and upside on 1 spring training game. How about his 2.75 career minor league ERA? How about his 2.88 BB/9 ratio at AAA or his 8.19 K/9 ratio at AAA?

He got knocked around in limited time in the bigs last year, but was 21 years old. Calling him a throw in at best is the furthest thing from the truth i've heard on here in a while.

Sounds alot like Penn / Olson ...would you consider Penn / Olson as the primary part of a deal for a player like Roberts? If so, I prefer just to trade Penn / Olson and pickup some prospects like Roberts plus more... then use BRob to get more starting pitching...

Hu

Lillibridge

Duran

Etc...

So where does he fit into the Cubs plans? At best long man out of the bullpen?

A year ago he would have been acceptable for the O's. We now have the depth we need in the minors. This is not a must have guy for either the Cubs or the O's.

Pie is the only class player that I see. If he is questioned by some scouts. I would not blame the Cubs for not letting him go. Nor would I blame the O's for not letting Roberts go for a group of players that have little or no use to the Cubs.

Sounds alot like Penn / Olson ...would you consider Penn / Olson as the primary part of a deal for a player like Roberts? If so, I prefer just to trade Penn / Olson and pickup some prospects like Roberts plus more... then use BRob to get more starting pitching...

Hu

Lillibridge

Duran

Etc...

I agree with you. I will say this Gallagher did seem to have more poise than pen and Olsen. I don't think he has the stuff that Olsen has. That does not mean that Olsen is better. Olsen still need to learn to control his stuff.

A year ago he would have been acceptable for the O's. We now have the depth we need in the minors. This is not a must have guy for either the Cubs or the O's.

Pie is the only class player that I see. If he is questioned by some scouts. I would not blame the Cubs for not letting him go. Nor would I blame the O's for not letting Roberts go for a group of players that have little or no use to the Cubs.

Considering he's pitched just a little over 20 games at AAA, he belongs there. Just because he isn't ready now doesn't mean he's useless. We're not trying to compete this year anyway.

Three quick comments:

1. It is spring training and I just heard Guthrie, for instance, say last night that his velocity will be the last thing he gets - even after he gets a feel for his breaking stuff.

2. I often see radar guns off by 5-7 mph. It will sometimes worry me...I'll think someone might be hurt, so I'll watch to see another pitcher I know and predict, "Well he should top out at 85/86 since he really tops out at 91/92." Then, I relax and get some math remediation for the rest of the game.

3. We aren't getting Pie, and I don't get to see him as much as some of the Cubs fans who have mixed feelings about him, but I personally would've loved to seen him in orange and black.

Gallagher doesn't fit into the Cubs plans this year - he needs another year in the minors before he plays full time in the bigs. I would disagree with the notion that he is a "throw in" when Gallagher is really the main guy coming from the Cubs in this trade. I didn't see the game today but I'm not sure about 84 mph... Gallagher usually throws in the mid 90s. Glad to see Pie doing well, he is a huge ??? for us this year.

You guys are going to <edit - Beat> us in this trade based on what I have seen. AM is a great GM and is milking Hendry for everything he can get.

Gallagher doesn't fit into the Cubs plans this year - he needs another year in the minors before he plays full time in the bigs. I would disagree with the notion that he is a "throw in" when Gallagher is really the main guy coming from the Cubs in this trade. I didn't see the game today but I'm not sure about 84 mph... Gallagher usually throws in the mid 90s. Glad to see Pie doing well, he is a huge ??? for us this year.

You guys are going to rape us in this trade based on what I have seen. AM is a great GM and is milking Hendry for everything he can get.

Things change from the start of the thread. He topped out at 86mph not 84mph.

If you think he is the main man in this trade, I say that is why this trade has not happened. There is no way Gallagher starts for the Cubs in 2009 from what I saw, unless their are injuries. If what I have seen being mentioned in the trade, I would just like to date you not rape you.

After watching Cedeno play SS and 2b, Pie, CF, Patterson Pinch hit and Gallagher pitch 2 innings I have a few observations.

1. Pie, looks for real. He did not face a left handed pitcher. He showed good arm strength, speed, good knowledge of the strike zone.

2. Cedeno, Average fielder. foot work looked a little sloppy. Arm strong but eratic. Over matched at the plate.

3. Patterson, Only one at a bat swing at the first pitch. Weak ground out. Good speed to first. Did not look as fast as his brother.

4. Gallagher, Pitched 2 innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 K's. Only threw 2 pitches fastball and change. Fast ball was clocked 86 mph at the highest mostly 85 mph Change up was 79 to 81 mph. If he is forced to throw the ball over the plate he is going to get banged around. Nothing special here. I think in our division he will get bombed. To many patient hard hitting teams in the A L East.

From what I saw and from what I heard from there announcers I would not trade Roberts to the Cubs unless Pie was comming back.

They did bring up the trade. They made it sound like the O's were being a pain. They also discussed how important Roberts would be to their lineup.

I'm glad to see you based your opinion on such a large sample size. No trade because of a small handful of AB's and two innings pitched? Great scouting, Birdman. I wish you would have been at the Cubs opener when Tuffy Rhodes cracked three HR's aganist Dwight Gooden and the Mets. You probably would have traded Ripken for him right on the spot! :002_sbiggrin:

And we all think AM is methodical in trades... I can't imagine how long it would take for bird man to get what he thinks is fair in a trade. My goodness.

All I am saying is if their is no Pie In the trade we should keep Roberts and let the Cubs play without a lead off hitter and a guy who steals third with ease. Who needs the trade more? I think the Cubs do. Just ask Lou.

Archived