Cubs on WGN Right Now...

Runs2the1Show

4. Gallagher, Pitched 2 innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 K's. Only threw 2 pitches fastball and change. Fast ball was clocked 86 mph at the highest mostly 85 mph Change up was 79 to 81 mph. If he is forced to throw the ball over the plate he is going to get banged around. Nothing special here. I think in our division he will get bombed. To many patient hard hitting teams in the A L East.

QUOTE]

The radar gun was at least 5 mph less. Qualls usually hits 90-92, but he was hitting 84 tops? And Gallagher supposedly is 92-94 and he was throing 86? It was slower. I watched most of the game as well. It wasn't that slow.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All I am saying is if their is no Pie In the trade we should keep Roberts and let the Cubs play without a lead off hitter and a guy who steals third with ease. Who needs the trade more? I think the Cubs do. Just ask Lou.

Earlier you're stated Gallagher was at best a throw in. This is simply not the case. I think the deal needs more, but I don't think it HAS to have Pie. My argument all along in this thread has been that Gallagher is not a throw in. He's a very talented pitcher.

4. Gallagher, Pitched 2 innings 0 runs 0 hits 1 walk 2 K's. Only threw 2 pitches fastball and change. Fast ball was clocked 86 mph at the highest mostly 85 mph Change up was 79 to 81 mph. If he is forced to throw the ball over the plate he is going to get banged around. Nothing special here. I think in our division he will get bombed. To many patient hard hitting teams in the A L East.

Glad someone has the same thoughts as me. Was not that impressed, radar gun or not, it didn't look like he was throwing that hard. It would be like Rick Helling all over again in the AL East. He's probably best playing all those lousy teams in the NL central.

After watching Cedeno play SS and 2b, Pie, CF, Patterson Pinch hit and Gallagher pitch 2 innings I have a few observations.

1. Pie, looks for real. He did not face a left handed pitcher. He showed good arm strength, speed, good knowledge of the strike zone.

2. Cedeno, Average fielder. foot work looked a little sloppy. Arm strong but eratic. Over matched at the plate.

3. Patterson, Only one at a bat swing at the first pitch. Weak ground out. Good speed to first. Did not look as fast as his brother.

From what I saw and from what I heard from there announcers I would not trade Roberts to the Cubs unless Pie was comming back.

They did bring up the trade. They made it sound like the O's were being a pain. They also discussed how important Roberts would be to their lineup.

Usually, with any other team, I would say that the scouts don't watch the monitor to see the radar, they usually sit in their seats with their own radar guns. There's NO WAY that he was not topping out over 90. No way. The WGN radar gun is erratic and usually slow ALL THE TIME!!

In Fact, in today's Balt Sun, Jeff Zrebiec states that the O's "...clearly covet..." Gallagher. Read, he's not a throw in, he's the centerpiece.

Also, let's get off the Pie thing, there's no way that a team trying to contend is going to trade away the guy they are counting on as their starting CF for another player, I don't care who he is. I'll eat my shoe if this deal goes down and Pie is involved. Actually, I'm at a point where if this deal goes down period, I'll eat my shoe.

In Fact, in today's Balt Sun, Jeff Zrebiec states that the O's "...clearly covet..." Gallagher. Read, he's not a throw in, he's the centerpiece.

You do realize how dangerous is to use Baltimore Sun reporters as reliable pieces of information? Judging by their history, that information may have come out of the warehouse in 2004 in response to Gallagher's draft status.

You do realize how dangerous is to use Baltimore Sun reporters as reliable pieces of information? Judging by their history, that information may have come out of the warehouse in 2004 in response to Gallagher's draft status.

Just look at Gallagher's minor league #'s as a reference. For God's sake, I don't know how this is so hard to comprehend.

What are you trying to say here exactly? That the Orioles clearly coveted Gallagher when he was drafted in the 12th round of 2004 and was completely under the radar, and not so much in 2008 when he's a top 100 prospect, was successful at every minor league level and added the velocity and repertoire that no one saw in 2004? If I have you right, that's quite the stretch and without adding the obvious constant - MacPhail.

I thought it was reported earlier that the weight loss had increased his velocity as he had never been able to get above 91 or 92 when he was heavier. :confused:

Don't know where these reports are coming from but the weight loss hasn't affected his velocity. I was at yesterdays game and his FB had a lot of late movement on it. His CB/SL and CH were working real well yesterday and he was throwing 90/94 most of the time.

I don't want that one, Cindy.

If I trade Roberts, I want more than #3 and #4 starting pitcher prospects, a maybe ok corner outfielder that we already have plenty of (plus Reimold) and an out fielder-second baseman who one supporter hoped would some day be at least mediocre at second.I mean...please.

Cedeno has been successful at every minor league level also. He is clearly over matched at the plate in the bigs.

Now I understand it is only Spring Training, but how many pitches does Gallagher have? If it is only two as he demonstrated in this game, I know I don't want him. Very few two pitch pitchers prosper in the A L. We have had our share for example, Dcab and I know he has better stuff than Gallagher.

Cedeno has been successful at every minor league level also. He is clearly over matched at the plate in the bigs.

Now I understand it is only Spring Training, but how many pitches does Gallagher have? If it is only two as he demonstrated in this game, I know I don't want him. Very few two pitch pitchers prosper in the A L. We have had our share for example, Dcab and I know he has better stuff than Gallagher.

You watch 3 AB by Cedeno and come away with him being clearly overmatched at the plate? So don't pay any attention to what he actually has done in his career and just go with the 3 AB you saw to make that statement? Wow, you are good! As for Gallagher and his velocity, he did actually hit 88 a few times on a slow gun. No other pitcher reached 90 all day. Qualls and Howry pitched and they are typically over 90 and reaching 96 or so. Neither even saw 88.

What game were you watching as Gallagher was throwing FB/CB/SL/CH in his two innings of work. Its amazing that you "O"s fan see the reports about the radar gun readings and think they are correct. I was at yesterdays game and the only batter gallagher struggled with was the 3rd batter he faced in his 1st inning. His FB had late movement on it and his CH was working also along with his other pitches. From the Guns I saw some of the scouts with he was 90/94 and was ahead of most hitters in the counts.

I watched some of the game yesterday and came awy with a completely different impression then is being expressed here. In one of the innings pitched Gallagher he struck two of the three hitters he faced.

Cedeno doubled and made several good defensive plays.

Pie hit a soft line drive single and I think he stole a base. He's bigger and faster then I thought. I can see why the Cubs want to keeps him. Remiondx me of Markakis.

Didn't get a chance to see Patterson.

What game were you watching as Gallagher was throwing FB/CB/SL/CH in his two innings of work. Its amazing that you "O"s fan see the reports about the radar gun readings and think they are correct. I was at yesterdays game and the only batter gallagher struggled with was the 3rd batter he faced in his 1st inning. His FB had late movement on it and his CH was working also along with his other pitches. From the Guns I saw some of the scouts with he was 90/94 and was ahead of most hitters in the counts.

Birdman is the one on here that has been reporting he only had two pitches (FB and CH). I watched the game too. Don't want to get into the mess about the gun cuz quite frankly the guys in the stands have their own and know the real deal But it was interesting that nobody in the game was topping out at 90.

But to say he only threw a FB and CH means the poster had to miss seeing him throw multiple curve balls and just needs to stop posting about how Gallagher threw.

Archived