Cubs on WGN Right Now...

Runs2the1Show

I watched some of the game yesterday and came awy with a completely different impression then is being expressed here. In one of the innings pitched Gallagher he struck two of the three hitters he faced.

Cedeno doubled and made several good defensive plays.

Pie hit a soft line drive single and I think he stole a base. He's bigger and faster then I thought. I can see why the Cubs want to keeps him. Remiondx me of Markakis.

Didn't get a chance to see Patterson.

What Cubs fans liked even better than the hit was the walk and the

AB where he extended the count, made the pitcher work, and hit a ball that hung up long enough for the CF to get to. It was nice to see the plate discipline yesterday.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you trying to say here exactly? That the Orioles clearly coveted Gallagher when he was drafted in the 12th round of 2004 and was completely under the radar, and not so much in 2008 when he's a top 100 prospect, was successful at every minor league level and added the velocity and repertoire that no one saw in 2004? If I have you right, that's quite the stretch and without adding the obvious constant - MacPhail.

My point is the Baltimore Sun is always slow in getting news.

Everyone here is so touchy!

My point is the Baltimore Sun is always slow in getting news.

Everyone here is so touchy!

FWIW we can all watch the game today at 4 Eastern time and again overreact to a pitch, AB all done in early March in sunny Arizona.

Sometimes it is hard to keep it all in perspective.

I watched some of the game yesterday and came awy with a completely different impression then is being expressed here. In one of the innings pitched Gallagher he struck two of the three hitters he faced.

Cedeno doubled and made several good defensive plays.

Pie hit a soft line drive single and I think he stole a base. He's bigger and faster then I thought. I can see why the Cubs want to keeps him. Remiondx me of Markakis.

Didn't get a chance to see Patterson.

Not quite accurate, as he threw a lot of pitches in the inning, going deep in the count to all four batters. He faced four batters, striking out 2, walking one, with a wild pitch. I didn't see his second inning. He seemed to like to pitch in, out, up and down, just off the plate. Top on the gun I saw for him was 86. Top I saw in the game was 91, by one of the Arizona pitchers. I only saw a few innings, though. I have no idea as to the calibration of the gun that was being used, but Gallagher wasn't blowing smoke by anybody in the inning I watched. That's not to be negative, as it certainly was an effective outing for the guy.

What game were you watching as Gallagher was throwing FB/CB/SL/CH in his two innings of work. Its amazing that you "O"s fan see the reports about the radar gun readings and think they are correct. I was at yesterdays game and the only batter gallagher struggled with was the 3rd batter he faced in his 1st inning. His FB had late movement on it and his CH was working also along with his other pitches. From the Guns I saw some of the scouts with he was 90/94 and was ahead of most hitters in the counts.

Because the reports are correct. Explain to me what is wrong with these statements:

1. Gallagher pitched yesterday.

2. The radar gun on WGN clocked him at 86-88.

Now as I had mentioned before, don't know how accurate those radar guns are but it is somewhat alarming. If I had thought about it more when the game was playing, should have watched some of the other pitchers throw and see what they got clocked at. Guess hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, to throw something else out there. From a scout comparing Peavy to gallagher:

Player Year W L G GS IP H ER HR BB SO H/9 W/9 K/9 ERA WHIP

Peavy 2000 13 8 26 25 133.1 107 43 6 53 164 7.22 3.58 11.07 2.90 1.20

Gallagher 2005 14 5 26 26 146 107 44 10 55 139 6.60 3.39 8.57 2.71 1.11

Those stats are from the midwest league.

Birdman is the one on here that has been reporting he only had two pitches (FB and CH). I watched the game too. Don't want to get into the mess about the gun cuz quite frankly the guys in the stands have their own and know the real deal But it was interesting that nobody in the game was topping out at 90.

But to say he only threw a FB and CH means the poster had to miss seeing him throw multiple curve balls and just needs to stop posting about how Gallagher threw.

Ok thats better. Like I said i wondered what everyone else threw in the game. no one over 90 sounds good, atleast as far as Gallagher is concerned.

Because the reports are correct. Explain to me what is wrong with these statements:

1. Gallagher pitched yesterday.

2. The radar gun on WGN clocked him at 86-88.

Now as I had mentioned before, don't know how accurate those radar guns are but it is somewhat alarming. If I had thought about it more when the game was playing, should have watched some of the other pitchers throw and see what they got clocked at. Guess hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, to throw something else out there. From a scout comparing Peavy to gallagher:

Player Year W L G GS IP H ER HR BB SO H/9 W/9 K/9 ERA WHIP

Peavy 2000 13 8 26 25 133.1 107 43 6 53 164 7.22 3.58 11.07 2.90 1.20

Gallagher 2005 14 5 26 26 146 107 44 10 55 139 6.60 3.39 8.57 2.71 1.11

Those stats are from the midwest league.

I only saw one of the two innings, but he was clocking 83-86 in that inning. I never saw 88. It was an effective inning, though.

I still can't believe the flippin' radar gun is the main topic of discussion around Gallagher. This is beyond ridiculous. Even if the stupid gun was accurate, it's one spring training game. Who knows what his focus was on the day? My goodness my head hurts.

I still can't believe the flippin' radar gun is the main topic of discussion around Gallagher. This is beyond ridiculous. Even if the stupid gun was accurate, it's one spring training game. Who knows what his focus was on the day? My goodness my head hurts.

If the gun was accurate real reason for concern, spring training or not. That'd an 8 mph difference over what he is supposed to throw. Whether accurate or not, it's a valid discussion.

Except for maybe you, I'm guessing you were probably Jeff ballard, John O'Donoghue and Jamie Moyer's biggest fans.

Patterson just made a nice play up the middle. I really feel that people are putting way too much stock in "he is a horrendous defender" Its not like he is Jeff Kent out there. IMO if we didnt have a question mark in SS and three rookies in CF, C, and RF I would let Patterson play 2B and let Derosa supersub. I think he is going to be a good ballplayer.

Archived