ESPN: Ted Williams

weams

Ted Williams was an epic, heroic figure. While this excerpt focuses to some extent on his many interpersonal failings in his relationships with family and his wives, at the same time, he was someone who truly did do many, many good things for sick children (essentially creating the Jimmy Fund), he was a true war hero- serving in both WW II and again in Korea (where he barely survived a crash landing in his first combat mission).

One of the absolute best biographies I have ever read (not just baseball or sports) ever is The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams by Ben Bradlee, Jr. I highly, highly recommend it!!

Truth is often stranger than fiction.

Williams is often thought to have been the best pure hitter ever but he considered himself a better pilot. Just think of the numbers he could have produced had he not been away at war.

Twice.

Ted Williams was an epic, heroic figure. While this excerpt focuses to some extent on his many interpersonal failings in his relationships with family and his wives, at the same time, he was someone who truly did do many, many good things for sick children (essentially creating the Jimmy Fund), he was a true war hero- serving in both WW II and again in Korea (where he barely survived a crash landing in his first combat mission).

One of the absolute best biographies I have ever read (not just baseball or sports) ever is The Kid: The Immortal Life of Ted Williams by Ben Bradlee, Jr. I highly, highly recommend it!!

Washington Post Ben Bradlee?

John Lennon abandoned (and abused) his son Julian, and his wife (Julian's mommy), Cynthia.

Lennon himself was abandoned by his father when he was a child, and was raised by his aunt.

Thank goodness that Cynthia was a great mom to Julian, and he turned out to be nothing like his father, with the exception of being an excellent musician in his own right.

Interesting. So perhaps Lennon's spiritual journey is analogous to Williams running away and fishing. Born out of necessity.

At least the family tried to right the ship in Ted's (and John Henry's) last years. That's a significant step, especially if Claudia does use a surrogate mother and keep the family line going. Unfortunately it was too late to help Bobby-Jo.

Cobb, Ruth, Mantle.

Presley, Cobain, Joplin.

Mozart, Van Gogh, Hemingway.

As exceedingly rare as these once-in-a-generation (or longer) talents are, it's far more difficult to find one who is also a "well-adjusted" person. Genius comes at a cost, it would seem.

Archived