Notes From the Minors 5/16

weams

Oliver Drake notched his eighth save. This one a six out kind. He struck out two.

Walked none. And allowed on one hit. He is the Orioles Hangout MiLB player of the evening.

Tides [AAA] Won 2 to 1

Oliver Drake recorded a six out save.

Chris Parmelee went three for three with two doubles.

Michael Bowden, called in as a spot starter, pitched five scoreless innings.

Baysox [AA] won 8 to 4

Ozzie Martinez homered. he was three for four with two runs scored and three runs batted in.

Rossmel Perez went three for four.

Mychal Givens pitched two innings allowing two hits and striking out three . He allowed no runs.

Keys [A+] Lost 5 to 2

Trey Mancini and Austin Wynns each collected two hits.

Austin Urban allowed a run in two innings pitched.

Shorebirds [A] Lost 8 to 5

Stephen Wilkerson had two hits, one a triple.

Derrick Bleeker allowed a run in three innings.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/5113/minor-league-game-summaries-516

Douglass Newton

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- The Delmarva Shorebirds got off to a strong start on Saturday, but Greensboro perservered for an 8-5 victory at NewBridge Bank Park. With the series evened at two games apiece, Delmarva (18-17) will go for a series win in the rubber match in Sunday's finale.

Delmarva built a lead early, scoring moments into the game. Jay Gonzalez bounced a ball towards third base that deflected off Brian Schales' glove into the outfield. With aggressive baserunning, Gonzalez hustled for a double. After a sacrifice bunt, Gonzalez used his speed again to score on a comebacker to the mound. In the third inning, Riley Palmer chopped an RBI single into right field to score Conor Bierfeldt for a 2-0 lead.

Greensboro steadily chipped away at Shorebirds' starter Sebastian Vader. In the third, Mason Davis put down a squeeze bunt with John Norwood on third base. Vader threw home, but Norwood slid around the tag from catcher Jonah Heim. In the fourth, Greensboro tied the game with a friendly break. K.J. Woods doubled down the left field line on a pop-up that fell at the feet of Jomar Reyes and Conor Bierfeldt after miscommunication. Austen Smith ripped an RBI single to knot the game at 2-2.

With the game tied, the Grasshoppers got a breakthrough frame in the sixth inning. Woods slammed the first pitch of the inning over the right field fence for a 3-2 lead. Greensboro scored three more runs off Vader on a two-run single by Rodrigo Vigil and a sacrifice fly by Norwood.

Down 6-2, Delmarva mounted a rally in the seventh but ultimately fell short. Jonah Heim rocketed a two-run home run just inside the left field foul pole, his first as a Shorebird. Later in the frame, Jay Gonzalez scored on a single by Steve Wilkerson after the ball slipped past left fielder Zach Sullivan. Delmarva left Wilkerson stranded in scoring position, representing the tying run.

The Grasshoppers scored two insurances in the eighth inning to lock up the win. Norwood added an RBI single, and another run came across on a fielding error. Kyle Fischer retired all six batters he faced to sew up the save. Scott Squier took the win for Greensboro while Vader suffered his second straight loss for Delmarva.

Doug Rafferty

Frederick, Md. – Potomac starter Dakota Bacus tossed six shutout innings and the Keys went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position in a 5-2 P-Nats win on Saturday night at Nymeo Field. The loss by the Keys forces a rubber game tomorrow afternoon.

After an hour and 17 minute delay due to weather, Potomac got things started quickly in the top of the first against Keys starter Mitch Horacek. Narciso Mesa and Christopher Bostick both knocked singles, while Stephen Perez followed with a two-run double for a 2-0 lead before the Keys saw the batter’s box against Bacus.

Frederick would place runners on first and second in the last of the first, however Brenden Webb struck out with two outs to end the frame.

In the fourth, Potomac added an unearned run to Horacek’s line on an error by third baseman Drew Dosch. John Wooten doubled, advanced to third on a groundout, and scored after a single by Brandon Miller and the mistake by Dosch. Horacek would buckle down however, getting out of the inning with a fly out by Bostick.

Horacek lasted five innings in taking the loss, giving up six hits, three runs (two earned), walking two, and striking out six. Dylan Rheault served up a run in the sixth inning on a Miller RBI to score Wooten and make it 4-0 Potomac.

The Keys cut the deficit in half after stretch time at the ballpark. After Bacus went six innings, allowing four hits and striking out seven, the Keys faced a new pitcher in Tyler Mapes. Adrian Marin, Austin Wynns, and Johnny Ruettiger all singled, with Ruettiger’s hit bringing home Marin to make it 4-1. Jeff Kemp lifted a sacrifice fly to plate Wynns, however the Keys would get no more.

In the eighth, the Keys got the leadoff batter on, however a double play by Webb erased any threat against reliever Nick Lee. Potomac added its final run on a James Yezzo solo homer against Keys bullpen arm Austin Urban.

Matt Wilson

Bowie, Md. - The Baysox had to wait through a one hour and 40 minute rain delay before they could snap their season-high five game winning streak with an 8-4 comeback win over the Richmond Flying Squirrels Saturday night.

Trailing 4-0 after the second inning, the Baysox tied the game in the bottom of the sixth inning and took control with a four-run seventh inning that was aided by a costly error from Richmond reliever Jose Casilla. A bad throw to second base on a force attempt led to the final three runs of the inning being unearned.

Baysox starter Tim Berry ran into trouble early as Richmond struck first in the top of the second inning. With one out, Berry issued three consecutive walks to the bottom half of Richmond's line-up to load the bases. Rando Moreno then hit into a fielder's choice to score Myles Schroder, putting the Flying Squirrels up 1-0 and leaving men on first and second base. Kelby Tomlinson followed with an RBI single scoring Eliezer Zambrano furthering Richmond's lead to 2-0. Devin Harris followed with a long double to center field scoring Moreno and Tomlinson and giving the Flying Squirrels a 4-0 lead.

The Baysox cut into the Flying Squirrels lead in the bottom of the third inning after Mike Yastrzemski led off with a walk. Yastrzemski stole second base and Sharlon Schoop walked to put men on first and second. Michael Burgess grounded into a fielder's choice to advance Yastrzemski to third and force Schoop out at second. On what would've been the third out, Richmond shortstop Moreno recorded an error after a bad throw to second base to allow Burgess to reach second safely. Yastrzemski scored on the play and the Baysox weakened Richmond's lead to 4-1.

The Baysox scored again in the bottom of the fourth inning after a lead-off triple by Quincy Latimore followed by Ozzie Martinez's two-run home run to left field, cutting the lead to 4-3.

The Baysox tied the game in the sixth inning after the lead-off man got on base once again. Latimore reached base on a lead-off walk and Martinez singled to record his seventh consecutive hit. Glynn Davis reached on a fielder's choice after he hit a ground ball bunt to force Latimore out at third, leaving Martinez at second. Yastrzemski brought in the tying run with an RBI double to knock in Martinez and tie the score 4-4.

The Baysox broke the tie in the seventh inning after Jason Esposito led off with a double off Richmond reliever Jose Casilla. Rosa advanced Esposito to third on a sacrifice bunt, and Latimore followed with a single to center field to give the Baysox the lead at 5-4. Martinez kept things going as he reached on a force out and throwing error by Casilla that allowed Latimore to reach second. Davis followed with a single scoring Latimore and moving Martinez to third and the Baysox lead was 6-4. Yastrzemski flew out to center field, and with two outs in the bottom of the inning, Davis stole second and Perez singled to right field scoring Martinez and Davis, the final runs of the game, to give the Baysox an 8-4 lead.

Tim Berry struck out four in his five innings of work. Marcel Prado earned the win for the Baysox after entering in the sixth inning and Richmond's Casilla took the loss. Reliever Mychal Givens closed out the game for the Baysox, throwing two scoreless innings and only giving up two hits.

Ian Locke

Three Norfolk pitchers combined to hold Indianapolis to one run as Norfolk topped the Indians 2-1 Saturday night at Victory Field.

Making his first start since July 2, 2010, Michael Bowden (2-1) picked up the win after allowing three hits and two walks over five shutout innings. Bowden, who was starting due to a late scratch to scheduled Norfolk hurler Tyler Wilson, struck out three while throwing 51 of his season-high 78 pitches for strikes.

Pedro Beato followed Bowden and allowed one run over two innings before giving way to Oliver Drake, who recorded the final six outs of the game to earn his eighth save of the season.

The Tides got all the runs they would need in the fourth inning, as Henry Urrutia led off the frame with a single before moving to third on a double by Chris Parmelee. After Steve Clevenger plated Urrutia with an RBI groundout, Dariel Alvarez followed with an RBI single that gave Norfolk a 2-0 advantage.

Parmelee finished with three hits in the contest as he raised his average to .348. Julio Borbon added two hits for Norfolk, which snapped a two-game losing skid.

Weams, I really like these updates, but have one request. Can you add a byline that includes the day, month and maybe the year of the game? Thanks and keep them coming.

You mean at the top of the thread?

I'm not sure what the "thread" is? I was thinking for each game summary, e.g.

Ian Locke

Norfolk, VA, May 16, 2015

Three Norfolk pitchers combined...

That gives us context for when and where (I just thought of location after you asked, sorry for that) the games were.

I'm not sure what the "thread" is? I was thinking for each game summary, e.g.

Ian Locke

Norfolk, VA, May 16, 2015

Three Norfolk pitchers combined...

That gives us context for when and where (I just thought of location after you asked, sorry for that) the games were.

No. It's ok where it is at the top of the thread only. I am glad you enjoy them though!

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148009-Notes-From-the-Minors-5-16?p=3795542#post3795542

If I decide to take more time on it I may revisit.

Question: why is O'Brien DH-ING so much? He was supposed to be good at defense? I was at the game where he hit a walk off grand salami but just curious if his defense isn't as good as we were told originally at the time of the Dodgers trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who are these writers? Are they reporting for OH, or are these reprinted from another source

They are club employees (minor league) who end me the emails. I post them. I will put up Bios on each of them later. The share these releases with many sources. I am unfamiliar with anyone else running them other than on their own sites. So the answer is they are from emails. Directly to me, with no usage constraints.

Question: why is O'Brien DH-ING so much? He was supposed to be good at defense? I was at the game where he hit a walk off grand salami but just curious if his defense isn't as good as we were told originally at the time of the Dodgers trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because we have too many good catchers? And because we are losing our catcher this off season. I saw O'Brien catch twice and spoke to a club official about what I saw. They agreed with me that he was a very good game caller with an excellent arm.

Ian Locke

Director, Media Relations

Norfolk Tides Baseball Club

November 2011 – Present (3 years 7 months)Norfolk, Virginia Area

Oversee all aspects of Media Relations for the Triple-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles.

* Serve as main point of contact for all media inquiries

* Responsible for design, content and layout of all team publications

* Compile statistical information used by media to cover team

* Oversee team's social media accounts

* Serve as primary contact for team website and online merchandise store

* Partner with sales accounts for print and web advertising

Matt Wilson

Communications Manager

Bowie Baysox

October 2011 – Present (3 years 8 months)

Manage the writing, editing and distribution of all team news releases and online content. Primary contact for any media interested in interviewing players or coaches and attending games. Design team publications and graphics for the team website using the Adobe Creative Suite. Social media manager in charge of updating the team Facebook and Twitter pages several times each day with relevant information for fans. I work all 71 Baysox home games, overseeing the press box, the preparation of baseball information and writing postgame recaps.

Communications Assistant

Bowie Baysox

January 2011 – September 2011 (9 months)

Tracked all of the baseball information for the team, including producing daily game stories and game notes for all 142 games. Interviewed players and coaches for game stories and feature stories in the Bay Watch game day program. Scored each home game and reported the results to MLB Advanced Media.

Archived