Notes From the Minors 5/16

weams

Doug Rafferty

Doug Raftery does Keys broadcasts. A veteran game-caller with time in independent and summer collegiate baseball, Raftery became a member of the Keys family in November. Since that time, he has worked as a sponsorship sales account manager for the club. Raftery will collaborate on all Frederick home broadcasts.

Douglass Newton

Doug Newton joined the Shorebirds in February of 2014 as the radio broadcaster. Newton will call all 140 games on WTGM Comedy 960 AM.

Most recently, Newton served as the play-by-play announcer for the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore volleyball, baseball and women's basketball. He also worked with media relations, directing the athletic department's social media.

Prior to joining UMES, Newton spent the previous two years in minor league baseball. In 2013, he worked for the Clinton LumberKings (Class-A, Seattle Mariners) in the Midwest League as the Broadcasting and Media Relations Assistant. The Baltimore native broke into minor league baseball as a Broadcasting Intern with the Aberdeen IronBirds (Short Season-A, Baltimore Orioles) in the New York-Penn League.

Newton graduated from Princeton University in 2012. During college, he broadcasted Tigers football, men's and women's basketball for the student radio station, WPRB. Newton also hosted a sports talk show for the campus TV station, Princeton Television Network.

Fun Facts

Favorite MLB Team? Baltimore Orioles

Favorite MLB Player? Cal Ripken, Jr.

First Car? '90 Toyota Previa

Dream Vacation? Hawai'i

Best sporting event you've seen in person? Cal Ripken's record-breaking 2131st consecutive game played.

Sporting event you haven't been to that you most want to? The Masters

Favorite Candy? M&M's

Favorite board game? Trivial Pursuit

Because we have too many good catchers? And because we are losing our catcher this off season. I saw O'Brien catch twice and spoke to a club official about what I saw. They agreed with me that he was a very good game caller with an excellent arm.

Thanks Weams. That is exactly what I wanted to know. He had a reputation of no hit, but looks to be above average at that (at least at the AA level-maybe that is why?).

Archived