TT: This Mike Wright is a Big League Starter

Tony-OH

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just DL Bud and bring him back for the doubleheader on the 28th. It actually falls in line to have Norris and Wright start both games of the double header. It would be Wright's 3rd start and Norris 1st start off the DL. Norris can make a rehab start to get his act together. At this point Norris would only be missing 2 starts. Wright's next start would be the 23rd in Miami. He should fare well vs a struggling NL lineup. Then they both start vs the White sox the same day. If Norris loses out he's just going to have to deal with being a reliever/spot start guy. I could see Buck playing around with favorable matchups to give the guys in the rotation an extra day. Wright was everything today that we have been wanting Gausman to be.

My very uninformed take:

I liked his "poise" (whatever that is). He had a grounded, unflappable approach even though you could tell he was freaking out. I think that is a good sign.

He got ahead, then threw meaningful pitches. In contrast, Matusz gets ahead 0-2 then throws three balls somewhere in the vicinity of Linthicum.

My very uninformed take:

I liked his "poise" (whatever that is). He had a grounded, unflappable approach even though you could tell he was freaking out. I think that is a good sign.

He got ahead, then threw meaningful pitches. In contrast, Matusz gets ahead 0-2 then throws three balls somewhere in the vicinity of Linthicum.

Poise like Gonzo. I agree. Only saw the last few innings but he was confident and in command.

I was driving home from South Carolina today and had to miss it. I'm thrilled with the outcome and also this report of why Wright was successful. I can't wait to see Wright perform.

Replay at midnight on MASN. I'm going to day shift tomorrow but I'm going to watch some of it!

My very uninformed take:

I tried to say this in another thread. He had that calm while pitching. But a big fist pump after the K to get out of the 4th. And a couple other Ks, fist pump. He seemed really jacked under the surface, but poised on the mound.

I tried to say this in another thread. He had that calm while pitching. But a big fist pump after the K to get out of the 4th. And a couple other Ks, fist pump. He seemed really jacked under the surface, but poised on the mound.

He certainly did a great job or suppressing his nerves and excitement in what had to be one of, if not the best moment of his life. He always had good poise in the minors as well so that's not surprising.

So whose debut was more impressive, Mike Wright's?

vs. LAA

7.1 IP 4 H 0 BB 6 K 0 ER

Or Chris Waters?

@ LAA

8 IP 1 H 3 BB 3 K 0 ER

Here's hoping Wright sticks around much longer and contributes much more than Chris did.

For those who have seen both pitchers in the minors, how does Tyler Wilson compare to Mike Wright? Does Wilson have similar stuff to Wright? Do both pitchers share the same poise? Also, how about Zach Davies? Physically, I know he is smaller. How does his stuff compare?

Archived