Orioles trade away two international bonus slots for Astros LHP Chris Lee

Crazysilver03

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me be clear. I would love for the Orioles to start buying the high impact 16 year olds. I would. They won't so I am ok with a young 6'5 lefty with an "electric" arm to play with.

Minus well get something. He basically replaces Tarpley. Both 22. Lefties. Except this guy is in full season ball and Tarpley hasn't pitched for the Pirates Organization yet.

The thing that makes me mad is that you see our scouts have recent success with Ed Rod, Schoop, Jomar Reyes (arguably our top position prospect), and we don't let them spend more. Instead we've decided to spend more on on vets like Chen, Wada, and Yoon. Our Caribbean scouts have been money.

Minus well get something. He basically replaces Tarpley. Both 22. Lefties. Except this guy is in full season ball and Tarpley hasn't pitched for the Pirates Organization yet.

The thing that makes me mad is that you see our scouts have recent success with Ed Rod, Schoop, Jomar Reyes (arguably our top position prospect), and we don't let them spend more. Instead we've decided to spend more on on vets like Chen, Wada, and Yoon. Our Caribbean scouts have been money.

I trust that our Caribbean scouts are telling us that there isn't anything better than Lee for the Orioles to spend their money on. The amount of money is too little for it to be much of anything else.

You think Lee should be rated as a third round pick?

He was a fourth round pick then spent three seasons in rookie ball.

No. I wasn't clear. Just trying to give more perspective besides the Int'l slot which confuses people. Based on the stats, I would prefer an extra 3rd round pick than Lee. By the end of the season, my mind could be swayed. For $660,000+ the O's could have signed 13 16 yr olds @$50,000 from the Caribbean and stocked half of one of their 2 DSL teams for 2016. Maybe one of them becomes a MLB regular. You never know.

Pasta. Wall. Something sticks.

I prefer a more robust int'l program that nudges up to the penalty limits.

Keep in mind that these are 2014-15 slots. The Orioles already weren't going to spend all the money on international amateurs. At least they got something for the slots, unlike last year when the unspent money went completely to waste.

Well, if my wife left me for another man, I'd be glad to have a good divorce attorney.

But that still wouldn't make it ok that my wife left me.

I trust that our Caribbean scouts are telling us that there isn't anything better than Lee for the Orioles to spend their money on. The amount of money is too little for it to be much of anything else.

If that is what they are saying, time for new scouts. Probably a few 16 yr olds who are exactly what Lee was at 16 who would sign for under $100,000. They also have 2 DSL teams to fill out. Rather have 16/17 yr old players w/ some sort of potential than 20 something yr old cast-offs from other teams.

Hopefully we hear about a signing of Jomar Reyes, Jr July 2nd.

No. I wasn't clear. Just trying to give more perspective besides the Int'l slot which confuses people. Based on the stats, I would prefer an extra 3rd round pick than Lee. By the end of the season, my mind could be swayed. For $660,000+ the O's could have signed 13 16 yr olds @$50,000 from the Caribbean and stocked half of one of their 2 DSL teams for 2016. Maybe one of them becomes a MLB regular. You never know.

Pasta. Wall. Something sticks.

I prefer a more robust int'l program that nudges up to the penalty limits.

I agree. But that is not our plan obviously. So I do think it is good that we secured a big lefty arm instead of nothing.

If that is what they are saying, time for new scouts. Probably a few 16 yr olds who are exactly what Lee was at 16 who would sign for under $100,000. They also have 2 DSL teams to fill out. Rather have 16/17 yr old players w/ some sort of potential than 20 something yr old cast-offs from other teams.

Hopefully we hear about a signing of Jomar Reyes, Jr July 2nd.

I trust Fred Ferreira to know that market. I do. And the 17 year olds are the ones that went bust for some reason. It's the 16 year olds. And it appear that for years most of them have been juicing in preparation for the signing season.

"When Fred walked out onto the field, it was like the pope of the Dominican has walked out onto the field," Showalter said. "All these scouts were saying, 'Oh my gosh, there's Fred Ferreira.' We're very lucky to have Fred."

Buck Showalter

I agree. But that is not our plan obviously. So I do think it is good that we secured a big lefty arm instead of nothing.

Seems so. My supposition is the plan is signing a bunch of targeted 5 figure guys until their board is clear and then telling DD, "We're done!" Then he decides what to do w/ the remainder.

Seems so. My supposition is the plan is signing a bunch of targeted 5 figure guys until their board is clear and then telling DD, "We're done!" Then he decides what to do w/ the remainder.

I think the plan is ownership gives DD a budget and Dan trades off the excess.

Archived