Roch: O's don't like Penn's attitude

Frobby

Well, the O's can't win that way. There's always going to be someone who was against a move that didn't work out. The majority of the board did not think Maine was anything special, and whether they liked the deal or not, did not think losing Maine was a big deal. You may not have liked the deal, but were you telling everyone that Maine was going to be a really good pitcher? BTW, it's a little too early to tell just yet. Anyway, your original post in this thread suggests that you knew we should have traded a different propsect at the time. I don't remember that one. Can you clear that up?

Too bad the archives don't go back to the time of the trade, becuase I remember very, very little dissent. It was a widely praised deal. We were dumping a guy who'd hit a ceiling at AAA and a one-pitch reliever with a straight fastball and an attitude who'd been just terrible, for a league-average starter.

The consensus was "great, who'd have thought we'd get anything for either of those two? We shoulda trade Maine and Julio a year or two ago when they still had value."

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad the archives don't go back to the time of the trade, becuase I remember very, very little dissent. It was a widely praised deal. We were dumping a guy who'd hit a ceiling at AAA and a one-pitch reliever with a straight fastball and an attitude who'd been just terrible, for a league-average starter.

The consensus was "great, who'd have thought we'd get anything for either of those two? We shoulda trade Maine and Julio a year or two ago when they still had value."

I had just joined this board right around when that trade happened and wasn't posting much, but most of the live conversations I remember having with people about it were along the lines of "Thank God we finally got rid of Julio... but I don't know about how this Benson guy's gonna do in the AL and I'm not quite so sure we should have let Maine go yet." Overall, it was one of those trades you shrug your shoulders at. Nothing too spectacular going in either direction. Maine really seems to have jelled with the Mets' pitching coach though. I don't think he would have ever been quite as good in Baltimore as he is in NY, so if nothing else the trade was good for him.

Archived