Ponson to Rangers

Boy Howdy

Yeah, you mean like Dennis Eckersly and Jose Mesa? Yeah really foolish wasn't it?:confused::P
He's facetiously pointing out how ridiculous some of your opinions are, specifically the one that says George Sherill can't be a good closer because he's never been a good closer (despite never having attempted it) before.

He's facetiously pointing out how ridiculous some of your opinions are, specifically the one that says George Sherill can't be a good closer because he's never been a good closer (despite never having attempted it) before.

I didn't state he had NO chance of being a successful closer. I just don't believe he will do so or in other words I predict failure at this experiment. I fail to see how my opinion is ridiculous for thinking that at all?:confused:

If Drungo or anyone else, is so sure of himself, I suggest a friendly wager over this. He/they/you could be right or just as easily wrong, just as I could, correct? I don't spout off that anyone is 'ridiculous" in believing what they want to believe, so why the assertion that I am being ridiculous on this? I guarantee you the odds are better than Sherill fails as a closer than he succeeds. I say this because he is unproven in this role, not that I wish or want him to fail.

It is also a lot of pressure on a guy who only had to face mostly matchup situations to setup the closer. Now he has all the pressure. I highly doubt he lasts the entire season in the role. I am extremely skeptical of them trying this to say the least.

How many times does Sir Sid have to get drilled for 6 runs and come out of the game in the 3rd inning for teams to realize he does not belong in the major leagues at this point. He's not a major league caliber pitcher and should have been out of the league at least 3 years ago.

Probably the most painful pitcher that I have ever seen pitch, used to just make me throw up when watching him pitch for the O's.

If Sidney is healthy, he'll be a winning pitcher for the Rangers. If his elbow won't stand up to pitching regularly -- and I doubt if it will -- he won't last long in Arlington either.

Anybody know what the story is on Ponson's elbow? I kind of suspected he was having shoulder problems his last season here...didn't really think about possible elbow issues.

Anybody know what the story is on Ponson's elbow? I kind of suspected he was having shoulder problems his last season here...didn't really think about possible elbow issues.

Possibly worn out from extensive 12 ounce curls!;):eek:

I didn't state he had NO chance of being a successful closer. I just don't believe he will do so or in other words I predict failure at this experiment. I fail to see how my opinion is ridiculous for thinking that at all?:confused:

If Drungo or anyone else, is so sure of himself, I suggest a friendly wager over this. He/they/you could be right or just as easily wrong, just as I could, correct? I don't spout off that anyone is 'ridiculous" in believing what they want to believe, so why the assertion that I am being ridiculous on this? I guarantee you the odds are better than Sherill fails as a closer than he succeeds. I say this because he is unproven in this role, not that I wish or want him to fail.

It is also a lot of pressure on a guy who only had to face mostly matchup situations to setup the closer. Now he has all the pressure. I highly doubt he lasts the entire season in the role. I am extremely skeptical of them trying this to say the least.

Again your logic makes no sense. Closers have to be new at some point in their career.

I say this because he is unproven in this role, not that I wish or want him to fail.
So is your argument that any reliever is more likely to fail as a closer to succeed if moved into that role?

That may or may not be true, but the more important thing is that its irrelevant. Its far too wide of a brush to paint with. Sherill is not "any reliever". He's a very good one. Only a small percentage of very good relievers have had trouble making the adjustment to being a closer. Guys who for some reason don't seem to be able to handle the stress, LaTroy Hawkins jumps to mind.

There certainly is reason to be dubious of Sherill's ability to become a good closer, but the reasons you are giving are not good reasons. "He's never done it before" is far less of a factor than things like his inexperience in going against both left and right-handed batters as well as his propensity to pitch to only a batter or two per outing. Those are legit concerns. Him not having 100 saves under his belt is not a legit concern.

Guys who for some reason don't seem to be able to handle the stress, LaTroy Hawkins jumps to mind.

I think LaTroy Hawkins performance as a closer mimics his overall performance in a variety of roles - he was an average pitcher who wasn't all that consistent. One year he was terrible, one year ok, one year pretty darn good.

So is your argument that any reliever is more likely to fail as a closer to succeed if moved into that role?

That may or may not be true, but the more important thing is that its irrelevant. Its far too wide of a brush to paint with. Sherill is not "any reliever". He's a very good one. Only a small percentage of very good relievers have had trouble making the adjustment to being a closer. Guys who for some reason don't seem to be able to handle the stress, LaTroy Hawkins jumps to mind.

There certainly is reason to be dubious of Sherill's ability to become a good closer, but the reasons you are giving are not good reasons. "He's never done it before" is far less of a factor than things like his inexperience in going against both left and right-handed batters as well as his propensity to pitch to only a batter or two per outing. Those are legit concerns. Him not having 100 saves under his belt is not a legit concern.

"He's never done it before" is far less of a factor than things like his inexperience in going against both left and right-handed batters as well as his propensity to pitch to only a batter or two per outing. That what I meant by "he's never done it before", as well as handle the pressure I just didn't expound on it like you.

I figured most should know what I meant but apparently not. I never stated anything at all about some kind of minimum number of saves under his belt. You don't need that to become a good closer. Again, I think an ex-starting pitcher is more equipped to make the transition than a setup man although I am not saying setup men can't become great closers. Just look at Rivera and BJ Ryan for example. However, I don't think Walker or Bradford would make good closers, nor do I think Sherrill will. None of them are dominating enough. I think all three would struggle even though they all three are relatively good setup men.

Archived