The Twins are playing .575 baseball

Frobby

This kind of snuck up on me when I looked at the standings this morning. The Twins?

I'm not quite sure how they're playing .575 baseball. They are 10th in OPS, with only 30 homers, and yet they are 6th in runs scored. They are 10th in runs allowed and 11th in ERA.

They seem like a team that is destined to take a nosedive, but so far, they have some helium.

o

OOOOOOOOO (MAY 24th)

KANSAS CITY ROYALS OOoo 28-15 OOOO)l ---

MINNESOTA TWINS OOOOOooo) 25-18 OOOOO (3.0)

DETROIT TIGERS OOOOOOOOO. 26-19 OOOOO (3.0)

CLEVELAND INDIANS ...OOOo 20-23 OOOOO (8.0)

CHICAGO WHITE SOX OOOO)y 19-22 OOOOO (8.0)

o

o

This kind of snuck up on me when I looked at the standings this morning. The Twins?

I'm not quite sure how they're playing .575 baseball. They are 10th in OPS, with only 30 homers, and yet they are 6th in runs scored. They are 10th in runs allowed and 11th in ERA.

They seem like a team that is destined to take a nosedive, but so far, they have some helium.

It snuck up on me, also.

I posted this 2 weeks ago, in the Royals' thread:

o

Before losing today's game, the Twins had won 9 out of their last 10, and 12 out of their previous 15. ):scratchchinhmm:

o

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/147337-The-Royals-are-Smokin-Hot/page6

Since I made that post (May 10th), the Twins have moved into 2nd place, percentage points ahead of the Tigers.

o

OOOOOOOOO (MAY 31st)

MINNESOTA TWINS OOOOOOooo) 30-19 OOOOOO ---

KANSAS CITY ROYALS OO);oo 29-19 OOOOO)l (0.5)

DETROIT TIGERS OOOOOOOOOO. 28-24 OOOOOO (3.5)

CLEVELAND INDIANS ...OOOOo 24-26 OOOOOO (6.5)

CHICAGO WHITE SOX OOOOO)y 23-26 OOOOOO (7.0)

o

• 2 weeks later...
o

(JUNE 13th)

The Twins have cooled off as of late, having lost 6 of their last 7 games, including a 3-game sweep at the hands of their division rival (and now first-place) Kansas City Royals.

Feels like a long time coming but they're still six games over .500 and ahead of their Pythagorean W-L.

Team OPS+: 88 (Joe Mauer, hello?)

Team ERA+: 107 (bullpen doing quite well)

o

(JUNE 13th)

The Twins have cooled off as of late, having lost 6 of their last 7 games, including a 3-game sweep at the hands of their division rival (and now first-place) Kansas City Royals.

The Twins have gotten back on their feet by going 4-3 over their last 7 games, but the Royals remain hot, hence the 3.5-game deficit that they find themselves in in the A.L. Central.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(JULY 1st)

The Twins have lost 7 out of their last 11 games.

This afternoon in Cincinnati, Johnny Cueto held them to 1 run over 8 innings, and Aroldis Chapman finished them off in the 9th for a 2-1 Reds victory.

• 4 weeks later...

o

After defeating the Yankees on Friday night, the Twins had them on the ropes again on Saturday, pulling out to a 5-0 lead.

But they blew the lead and the game, as the Yankees came roaring back for an 8-5 win.

So instead of going for the sweep on Sunday, the Twins instead will be trying to salvage a series victory.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived