Brian Matusz suspension (8 Days Confirmed, Back Today)

Crazysilver03

I wouldn't go that far. They did it against an American League team not a division rival. I am hopeful it is an isolated incident and that MLB will finally make some changes in the offseason.

I agree that the situation needs to be addressed

My suggestion is that they allow the pitchers to use something that is standard to improve their grip.

Gorilla Grip makes a towelette that makes your fingers or hands a bit more tacky.

It's not heavy and it is colorless. My suggestion is to allow the pitcher's to have it in their back pocket.

They can stick their hand in their back pocket to get a better grip. Further, if they put a substance like pine tar or rosin on the towellette it would expose the pitcher to using an illegal substance on the mound.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to start a trend throughout MLB. The Brewers claimed the Braves did the same thing and that Fredi Gonzalez violated the unwritten rules. Their pitcher, Will Smith, said he just did it because then ball was wet (it had rained in Atlanta before the game) so he used it to better control the ball, not change the spin.

Umpires have to eject pitchers with any foreign substance, unwritten rules or no. I can see this going on occasionally until the MLB changes the rules or pitchers stop using anything.

Marlins manager probably did it to get off the schneid since he was winless as a manager and the game was well into extras.

I agree that the situation needs to be addressed

My suggestion is that they allow the pitchers to use something that is standard to improve their grip.

Gorilla Grip makes a towelette that makes your fingers or hands a bit more tacky.

It's not heavy and it is colorless. My suggestion is to allow the pitcher's to have it in their back pocket.

They can stick their hand in their back pocket to get a better grip. Further, if they put a substance like pine tar or rosin on the towellette it would expose the pitcher to using an illegal substance on the mound.

This is a good idea, The let hitters use pine tar for grip, something comparable for pitchers.

This is going to start a trend throughout MLB. The Brewers claimed the Braves did the same thing and that Fredi Gonzalez violated the unwritten rules. Their pitcher, Will Smith, said he just did it because then ball was wet (it had rained in Atlanta before the game) so he used it to better control the ball, not change the spin.

Umpires have to eject pitchers with any foreign substance, unwritten rules or no. I can see this going on occasionally until the MLB changes the rules or pitchers stop using anything.

Marlins manager probably did it to get off the schneid since he was winless as a manager and the game was well into extras.

I hope Will Smith and Brian REALLY start a trend.... Where some, whatever substance is finally allowed to be used. Both these are ridiculous because MOST pitchers use something! And Buck (and I'm sure many managers) and hitters WELCOME this so they don't get beaned by a 95 mph FB.

Side note... this is the most childish, tattle-tale incident I have seen in a while in baseball, by Jennings! Desperate move by a LOSER who has NO BUSINESS managing an MLB team! :angryfire: What an ego to think he was even remotely qualified! :spit:

Not really, he is a relief pitcher. Pineda as a starter wouldn't actually miss as much playing time.

Just saying there is some precedent.

Do starters get significantly longer suspensions when they engage in brawls and such?

I have to admit I don't bother to retain that sort of information.

O'Day and Chen are always grabbing their other arm, same as Matusz, and are not shy about it.

It's all I really see when either guy is on the field, it's that regular of a tick. All these guys have these routines between pitches that incorporate the subtle touch of arm or neck.

I don't think it's the same as Pineda last year, or the Red Sox guy in the postseason where you have obvious goop. That's a middle finger to everyone else. Obvious goop is obvious.

Still, I don't like that we got busted. Cheapens things.

O'Day and Chen are always grabbing their other arm, same as Matusz, and are not shy about it.

It's all I really see when either guy is on the field, it's that regular of a tick. All these guys have these routines between pitches that incorporate the subtle touch of arm or neck.

I don't think it's the same as Pineda last year, or the Red Sox guy in the postseason where you have obvious goop. That's a middle finger to everyone else. Obvious goop is obvious.

Still, I don't like that we got busted. Cheapens things.

I think there is an understanding that all pitchers use something to enhance grip at times when they need to. And I think they can tell the difference from simply enhancing grip and altering the motion of the ball. There most likely is a gentleman's agreement not to call people on this kind of thing, but Jennings, not a member of the managers and coaches community doesn't realize this. He will be made to I am sure. But because Buck is a gentleman he is not going to publically call him on it.

Archived