Poll: If you could take any player at #4...

Who Do You Draft If All Of The Draftee's Were Available?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Draft If All Of The Draftee's Were Available?

• Pedro Alvarez, 3B/1B, Vanderbilt
    • Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina
    • Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)
    • Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)
    • Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego
    • Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri
    • Other, specify in a post

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...who would it be? Again, if you could take ANY draft eligible player...

Just imagine we are picking first if that helps. :D

BTW, this poll assumes Alvarez rebounds well from his broken hand.

Order:

Alvarez

Smoak

Beckham

Order:

Alvarez

Smoak

Beckham

It's difficult to argue that order... although if Beckham's senior year is great, I'd have to take a looooong look at choosing him. If we get any of those three or my currently highest rated player Eric Hosmer, I'd be elated. Since we are picking fourth... I and we all should be very happy indeed.

This poll has me in fits LOL. :D Apologies in advance about mentioning HOF'ers or great pro's in comparisons, but it makes it easier to envision what could be.

Alvarez is the safest bet to be a very good pro 3B or 1B, though his defense is a bit shaky.

Smoak is a switch hitter with perhaps a bit more power than Alvarez, and is the better defender. #33-like? It's possible.

Beckham is the protypical Barry Larkin'esque shortstop prospect. He does it all very well, but as an 18 year old... a few years away.

Hosmer gives me visions of Will Clark, but with better power. That's an amazing combo.

I have to say, again, I'd be thrilled with any of these four... and there is still time for youngsters like Florida High School SS/3B Harold Martinez to shhot up into these players stratosphere. I love it!

I like Beckham for the Orioles.

He is a 5 tool player at a plus position and every scouting report I've read says he should be able to stay at SS. So long as he doesn't regress badly his senior year, he would be my #1 priority. If he has the talent and production to be worthy of a #1 pick AND he plays a prime position (not to mention one the O's are thin at) he should get preference over the corner infielders, IMO.

There are so many top talents available, though, that I don't think I'll be disappointed no matter who the O's end up drafting.

I also don't think we should be concerned with how long it will take them to get to the majors. We need to get the top talent, no matter what his age is. Targeting players who can reach the majors sooner is a good way to retard the rebuilding process. Even among players that seem more "advanced" there will be some duds that won't turn out. When you start making mistakes while going for the sure thing and passing on a player who could have a higher ceiling, the overall condition of the organization will suffer more. We can't compete with just solid players. There needs to be a few exceptional players sprinkled in there as well, and you need to take chances if you're going to get many of them. With how low the Orioles have sunk, we need a good number of "special" players.

That doesn't mean that we take someone with a high ceiling but a low probability to reach it... we just cannot limit ourselves to college bats because our major league team needs help and we want to get the draft pick through the system faster in order to help the parent club. What good is it if they get there and contribute quickly, but aren't difference makers?

This argument would certainly work for Greg's fav - Eric Hosmer- but I'm using it for my fav - Beckham.

He is a 5 tool player at a plus position and every scouting report I've read says he should be able to stay at SS. So long as he doesn't regress badly his senior year, he would be my #1 priority. If he has the talent and production to be worthy of a #1 pick AND he plays a prime position (not to mention one the O's are thin at) he should get preference over the corner infielders, IMO.

There are so many top talents available, though, that I don't think I'll be disappointed no matter who the O's end up drafting.

I also don't think we should be concerned with how long it will take them to get to the majors. We need to get the top talent, no matter what his age is. Targeting players who can reach the majors sooner is a good way to retard the rebuilding process. Even among players that seem more "advanced" there will be some duds that won't turn out. When you start making mistakes while going for the sure thing and passing on a player who could have a higher ceiling, the overall condition of the organization will suffer more. We can't compete with just solid players. There needs to be a few exceptional players sprinkled in there as well, and you need to take chances if you're going to get many of them. With how low the Orioles have sunk, we need a good number of "special" players.

That doesn't mean that we take someone with a high ceiling but a low probability to reach it... we just cannot limit ourselves to college bats because our major league team needs help and we want to get the draft pick through the system faster in order to help the parent club. What good is it if they get there and contribute quickly, but aren't difference makers?

This argument would certainly work for Greg's fav - Eric Hosmer- but I'm using it for my fav - Beckham.

Excellent post, and one I concur with. Beckham is a viable target for the #1 overall, and would be a great pick at #4, although I'll be pleasantly surprised if he'd last that long. High School bats historically perform well in the early first round, so Beckham certainly makes sense from that standpoint, and other important factors as well. I've a feeling neither Beckham nor Hosmer will be O's come June, but if Smoak or Alvarez are picked, its great regardless. :)

This poll has me in fits LOL. :D Apologies in advance about mentioning HOF'ers or great pro's in comparisons, but it makes it easier to envision what could be.

Alvarez is the safest bet to be a very good pro 3B or 1B, though his defense is a bit shaky.

Smoak is a switch hitter with perhaps a bit more power than Alvarez, and is the better defender. #33-like? It's possible.

Beckham is the protypical Barry Larkin'esque shortstop prospect. He does it all very well, but as an 18 year old... a few years away.

Hosmer gives me visions of Will Clark, but with better power. That's an amazing combo.

I have to say, again, I'd be thrilled with any of these four... and there is still time for youngsters like Florida High School SS/3B Harold Martinez to shoot up into these players stratosphere. I love it!

I would take Hosmer especially given your description above and his hot start to his season instead of one of the pitchers that IMO will be left to us.

Excellent post, and one I concur with. Beckham is a viable target for the #1 overall, and would be a great pick at #4, although I'll be pleasantly surprised if he'd last that long. High School bats historically perform well in the early first round, so Beckham certainly makes sense from that standpoint, and other important factors as well. I've a feeling neither Beckham nor Hosmer will be O's come June, but if Smoak or Alvarez are picked, its great regardless. :)

I don't expect Beckham or Hosmer to be O's either. Some organizations like to go college heavy or may be looking to take the top ranked pitcher with their first pick, especially if he's a local product (KC - Crow & Melville), so it's possible that Beckham slides to us at #4, but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I'd take Hosmer because I think he has the best bat, AND he very good with the glove. Should not matter if he is not a college guy. Bruce from Cinn, was a H.S. pick just 3 years ago. On draft day, take the best BAT available, other than Alonso(sp?) who looks to be a DH.

High School prospects scare me.I know there have been a lot of Superstars to come straight out of our High Schools. These guys are very special. But you have to look at all the ones that never make it. Does anyone have the percentages on this ? You know,,,College players that make the grade, compared to High Schoolers. Is takes a very focused young man to ride around the country with a bunch of 20 year olds, staying in temporary lodging, playing baseball, and not be led astray. It has to be very tough,

High School prospects scare me.I know there have been a lot of Superstars to come straight out of our High Schools. These guys are very special. But you have to look at all the ones that never make it. Does anyone have the percentages on this ? You know,,,College players that make the grade, compared to High Schoolers. Is takes a very focused young man to ride around the country with a bunch of 20 year olds, staying in temporary lodging, playing baseball, and not be led astray. It has to be very tough,

I started a thread a while back about that very thing... http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57155

Selecting Smoak may not be the best choice, but its certainly not terrible. I know Beckham is a rare talent, but so is Smoak in different ways. I see a few positives should the O's select Smoak:

1. O's continute to stockpile talent for 2010.

2. May show the Orioles are atleast confident that Rowell or Snyder can stick at 3rd base.

Added Smoak's bat with Wieters, Jones, Markakis, Riemold and you've got the makings of a deadly lineup.

I don't see us limiting ourselves with the college bats at the #4 spot. Actually I see us taking a smart approach by selecting someone who has a very high percentage change of being an impact ball player or "difference maker", similar to CW.

Archived