Poll: If you could take any player at #4...

Who Do You Draft If All Of The Draftee's Were Available?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Draft If All Of The Draftee's Were Available?

• Pedro Alvarez, 3B/1B, Vanderbilt
    • Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina
    • Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)
    • Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)
    • Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego
    • Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri
    • Other, specify in a post

I don't see us limiting ourselves with the college bats at the #4 spot. Actually I see us taking a smart approach by selecting someone who has a very high percentage change of being an impact ball player or "difference maker", similar to CW.

I don't necessarily think the Orioles will be limiting themselves with just college bats. I was speaking more to the OH community. From reading a lot of the posts in here on the draft, I get the feeling that many people are too influenced by the idea of our 1st round draft pick reaching the majors at the same time as Wieters. I don't think that should come into the equation at all. You never know what will happen. Just pick who you think will be the best player when they reach the major leagues, whenever that may be.

Who do you mean by CW?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who besides Pedro Alvarez, Justin Smoak, Tim Beckham, Eric Hosmer, Brian Matusz, Aaron Crow, Yonder Alsono, and Harold Martinez would you pick? I mean say we are picking at #10 and all these players are off the board. Who would you pick? I would go with either Gerrit Cole,Tim Melville, or Aaron Hicks.

Here is another scenario, lets say we land a blocked SS such as Hu, Lillibridge, or Arias. Then Hosmer, Smoak, and Alvarez are off the board. Who do we pick then? Do we take Beckham? Or do we go Pitcher.

CW = Wieters (should have been M)

I truly hope we are able to trade for a SS. I think we could get Hu later in the year with our relief pitching/Millar.

I still would draft the best available player even if that means Beckham.

This order:

Alvarez

Beckham

Matusz/Crow, whichever one is better this year.

Smoak

There's nothing wrong with drafting a college pitcher, even though the talent is lopsided in our system. Given AM's philosophy of "develop pitchers, sign bats," it wouldn't surprise me.

I like Smoak but not as a full-time DH, which is where he could easily be headed in Baltimore.

This order:

Alvarez

Beckham

Matusz/Crow, whichever one is better this year.

Smoak

There's nothing wrong with drafting a college pitcher, even though the talent is lopsided in our system. Given AM's philosophy of "develop pitchers, sign bats," it wouldn't surprise me.

I like Smoak but not as a full-time DH, which is where he could easily be headed in Baltimore.

Out of curiosity... what gives you the feeling he'll be a full-time DH if drafted? Who would play 1B over him? Just my view on this, but Smoak will man 1B for any team that drafts him, once he's ready. His defense is too good to be relegated to DH.

Who besides Pedro Alvarez, Justin Smoak, Tim Beckham, Eric Hosmer, Brian Matusz, Aaron Crow, Yonder Alsono, and Harold Martinez would you pick? I mean say we are picking at #10 and all these players are off the board. Who would you pick? I would go with either Gerrit Cole,Tim Melville, or Aaron Hicks.

In that scenario I'd take Melville in a heart beat. He could be the best arm in the draft when all is said and done. Hicks could be a possibility, though. Cole scares me a little. I've heard that he's too concerned with throwing hard and has a lot of effort in his delivery.

As of this moment...

Kyle Skipworth

Aaron Hicks

Shooter Hunt

What players fall hard because of Demands or injuries? Such as Porcello and Brackman, although Brackman i think had a injury. Im hoping we find 1st round talent later in the draft and are not scared to pay them. Hopefully Arrieta is a good sign. Seems like there are always some very good players still around later because of injuries or contract demands. I think this draft could really be a tell all to the future of our team and hopefully we take some risks. I think with a really good draft we could shoot up the rankings and be right there with the Rays.

Out of curiosity... what gives you the feeling he'll be a full-time DH if drafted? Who would play 1B over him? Just my view on this, but Smoak will man 1B for any team that drafts him, once he's ready. His defense is too good to be relegated to DH.

I'm an idealist who believes very strongly that Tex will sign here. He ain't chopped liver at first neither.

Archived