Road trip to Fenway....advice?

psychboy12

I've only been once, as a 9 year old 21 years ago. However, I distinctly remember and can therefore recommend that if you're anywhere close enough to be able to do so, take the T to the game. Boston from all accounts is not pleasant to drive in or get around, and the T was incredibly reliable and efficient, and I still remember that 21 years later.

Back in the 90's when I was a "truck driver" I had to drag a 53' trailer thru downtown Boston to get to an old shoe factory that was going out of business. A Nightmare! How I didn't accidently injure or kill some people that day is a mystery! Don't drive in Boston if you can keep from it. :eek:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back in the 90's when I was a "truck driver" I had to drag a 53' trailer thru downtown Boston to get to an old shoe factory that was going out of business. A Nightmare! How I didn't accidently injure or kill some people that day is a mystery! Don't drive in Boston if you can keep from it. :eek:

Boston is the worse city in the entire US of A to drive a car in, much less a truck.

I went last year for a TB game. My wife had a conference at the Sheraton (which I'd recommend - I'm sure it's expensive, but it's in a great central location and you could walk to Fenway Park), so for the price of my plane ticket and an extra night or two at the hotel, we made a mini-vacation out of it. Cost effective in Boston will be tough, and I'd would recommend staying somewhere inside the city if at all possible. It will just make everything easier to get to. The Sheraton had a trolly stop right outside the front door, and like I said, you can walk to Fenway. Might be more money, but it would be well spent for the convenience in my opinion.

I thought Fenway was amazing. It was a fantastic baseball atmosphere that I think every fan should experience if they can. Those fans are passionate, and honestly, they put our fans to shame. I sat about 3/4 of the way down the LF line, about 2/3 of the way up off of the field. I don't remember the seat being too terribly uncomfortable....but maybe it was. Do people really go to games expecting cozy and spacious seating?

I am by no means a "city guy", but Boston was great. With my wife tied up in meetings, I had a chance to go all over the city. The trollies are popular there and you'll see them everywhere.....Wife and I also did a boat tour of the harbor that I think came free with buying the trolly ticket. If you have time, ride the trollies....you'll get a good bang for your buck with those tours as they take you all over the city and you can get off and get back on at any of the stops.....check out some of the historic sites (I would HIGHLY recommend taking your kids to see the U.S.S. Constitution which is a trolly stop).

I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd love to catch an O's game there. They loooooove David Ortiz, and Sweet Caroline during the 7th inning stretch is pretty cool. The park is definitely old, but it definitely has an appealing character that I really can't even describe - you'll see what I mean when you get there....and think about Ruth, Williams, and Cobb and all the other countless greats that played there.

Fenway isn't exactly a great stadium. However, for historical reasons, it is a must visit for a baseball fan. We sat down the third base line. I can remember watching Manny playing the outfield and most of the game and thinking "It doesn't even seem like he is paying attention."

Take the T, grab a Sam Adams and have a good time.

I went last year for a TB game. My wife had a conference at the Sheraton (which I'd recommend - I'm sure it's expensive, but it's in a great central location and you could walk to Fenway Park), so for the price of my plane ticket and an extra night or two at the hotel, we made a mini-vacation out of it. Cost effective in Boston will be tough, and I'd would recommend staying somewhere inside the city if at all possible. It will just make everything easier to get to. The Sheraton had a trolly stop right outside the front door, and like I said, you can walk to Fenway. Might be more money, but it would be well spent for the convenience in my opinion.

I thought Fenway was amazing. It was a fantastic baseball atmosphere that I think every fan should experience if they can. Those fans are passionate, and honestly, they put our fans to shame. I sat about 3/4 of the way down the LF line, about 2/3 of the way up off of the field. I don't remember the seat being too terribly uncomfortable....but maybe it was. Do people really go to games expecting cozy and spacious seating?

I am by no means a "city guy", but Boston was great. With my wife tied up in meetings, I had a chance to go all over the city. The trollies are popular there and you'll see them everywhere.....Wife and I also did a boat tour of the harbor that I think came free with buying the trolly ticket. If you have time, ride the trollies....you'll get a good bang for your buck with those tours as they take you all over the city and you can get off and get back on at any of the stops.....check out some of the historic sites (I would HIGHLY recommend taking your kids to see the U.S.S. Constitution which is a trolly stop).

I'd go back in a heartbeat. I'd love to catch an O's game there. They loooooove David Ortiz, and Sweet Caroline during the 7th inning stretch is pretty cool. The park is definitely old, but it definitely has an appealing character that I really can't even describe - you'll see what I mean when you get there....and think about Ruth, Williams, and Cobb and all the other countless greats that played there.

My wife and I went to Fenway 2 years ago. What a great experience. We hope to go back this summer and get a rental car. We didn't have one the first time and couldn't see Lexington or Concord.

Boston has so much history - and for a history buff like me I was in Heaven

They put our fans to shame? What do you mean by this? Please explain how they put us to shame.

You don't realize that you do until you sit down and you don't have it. I went to Wrigley last year, and it was an amazing experience. However, the seat and the lack of leg room was one of the most uncomfortable experiences I've had sitting anywhere in my life.

They put our fans to shame? What do you mean by this? Please explain how they put us to shame.

Most fans are pretty good. I noticed the Boston fans are much nicer at Fenway then the ones who come down here or really live in DC or Maryland. They have really oood fans. Yankee fans now baseball. Except for the fan a couple of years ago,who was telling his kid that Jayson Nix hits like Trout. maybe Steve Trout.I notices when i went to the Nats game this weekend and noticed the fans are much more passionate about baseball then I have ever seen. Actually cheering and watching the game. Going next week so shall see if it was a mistake or they have changed, I think they have changed based upon what I have read. I have been to many ballparks and must say the Cardinal fans are some of the most passionate but do not cheer as much as some stadiums.

No idea what he was trying to say.

I will say this:

Yanks and RedSox fans seem to be more involved in the game.

Oriole Fans show up ay Camden Yards and act like its a social event. The baseball game is secondary. Some Oriole fans also show up in the 2-4 inning. I do not understand that.

We get there when the gates open

I will say this:

Oriole Fans show up ay Camden Yards and act like its a social event. the baseball game is secondary. Some Oriole fans also show up in the 2-4 inning. I do not understand that that.

Personally, myself, I am parked, before the the gates even open, and standing watching them open the gates. :)

Not from what I have seen watching MASN and of course, they are showing the expensive seats and in NY, they are very expensive. Most look bored or preoccupied.

I will say this:

Oriole Fans show up ay Camden Yards and act like its a social event. The baseball game is secondary. Some Oriole fans also show up in the 2-4 inning. I do not understand that.

I don't agree with this at all. I'm sure Oriole Park is no different than any other park in baseball as far as fans showing up late or being involved in the game.

Try watching other teams on TV. Sometimes you can't even tell a crowd is present. A lot of Yankees games are like that. OPACY seems to have one of the better atmospheres in all of baseball, IMO.

I don't agree with this at all. I'm sure Oriole Park is no different than any other park in baseball as far as fans showing up late or being involved in the game.

Try watching other teams on TV. Sometimes you can't even tell a crowd is present. A lot of Yankees games are like that. OPACY seems to have one of the better atmospheres in all of baseball, IMO.

Just my opinion and observations. Doesn't make it right

Hi psychboy--did you get tix yet? If you're looking to get the best seats at reasonable prices, my advice is to go for bleachers. If you're able to get first 10 rows of Sections 34-36, you'll be in cf / right-center with a nice view of the field and right on top of Adam Jones... First 15-20 rows of sections 40-43 in RF bleachers are also great value. I'd avoid RF grandstand... usuallly more expensive than bleachers but almost always worse views.

Good luck!

Yeah, I was thinking the bleachers...trying to maximize the experience while also trying to catch the game. As it happens, my brother-in-law lives in CT, so we'll shack up there and head up to the game. I'll post some pix when we get back from a Fenway sweep!

Orioles fan living in Boston checking in...

If you have a car (and are staying outside of the city), I really wouldn't park next to the stadium, unless you're intent on paying an arm and a leg. Instead, I'm fond of parking at the end of the Green Line, at the Riverside Station:

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/lines/stations/?stopId=15598

I've never seen it fill up (most T-stops in Boston fill up to capacity for parking, but never Riverside in my experience).

This is obviously only relevant if you're staying anywhere near Newton (someone mentioned staying along I-90, so this would probably be a logical point for you to drive to). If you're staying north of the city, then my advice may change a bit.

From there, it's not a particularly long ride (probably less than 20 minutes). Only caveat is that I'd recommend not getting off at Fenway, but waiting until Kenmore. Fenway isn't actually the stop for the ballpark, but the actual park. Still, a lot of people will get off at Fenway and it's not a particularly far walk, so it's not a dealbreaker.

The bleachers are actually a good spot. I've never had to deal with any unruly home Boston fans giving me crap, and I've been there plenty of times in Orioles garb (the whole bleacher creature thing hasn't really come into play). It's also far less cramped than other sections (it's basically typical ballpark seat space). Only thing is that if you sit too far back that you won't be able to see the jumbotron (I've actually sat BEHIND the jumbotron before!)

• 4 weeks later...

To all that helped, thanks! We had a blast. Went to game one and watched the win. Sat in LF Loge, fantastic seats. All the fans were very welcoming and made my son feel great! I'd post a picture of the sign he made, but seems I can only do it from a URL, not my computer.....Go Os!!!!

Archived