When Flaherty gets back

eddie83

When Ryan gets back here is what I would do. I know I have touched on this in another thread.

DFA DeAza, he will not be back next year so let's just move on. He could be a useful bat but with this mess of a roster I think he needs to go.

Play Snider and Pearce as main corner OF's. Heaven forbid maybe even let Snider face a lefty now and then. Start Young vs LHP and also use him to spell Paredes if needed. Give Pearce some at bats and see what he can do, give him days off vs tough righties and play Lough now and then. I want to see these guys start more. By moving DeAza it frees up some at bats.

Start Cabrera at 2nd vs LHP, Flaherty vs RHP.

We just have to hold on until Schoop gets back. Hopefully Wieters can give us a spark as well. It is too early in the year for trades and I would rather see what Snider and Pearce can do with more consistent at bats. At least those two can actually work a walk. I don't think Parmalee, Reimold and Clevenger are the answers. Can always look at Reimold and Parmalee later on.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think when Flash returns Cabrera goes. If they need to cover SS or 3B Flash can move over and Paredes and Pearce can fill in at 2B. the musical chairs at COF will continue until Schoop returns. Then the music stops and the odd man is out. I see Snider Lough, and Pearce getting more playing time and De Aza and Delmon less. One of them has to go. For my money De Aza has the least value. Lough has speed and defense. Pearce plays 2B, 1B, COF,DH, and hits for power, Delmon can PH play RF, and Snider has good OBP. Trouble is you probably have to eat De Aza's salary.

Please explain why you think giving Cabrera at bats is a good idea.

Because I expect him to be on the roster and don't want him to rot on the bench. I think if he plays in a limited capacity he will not be exposed as much.

I think when Flash returns Cabrera goes. If they need to cover SS or 3B Flash can move over and Paredes and Pearce can fill in at 2B. the musical chairs at COF will continue until Schoop returns. Then the music stops and the odd man is out. I see Snider Lough, and Pearce getting more playing time and De Aza and Delmon less. One of them has to go. For my money De Aza has the least value. Lough has speed and defense. Pearce plays 2B, 1B, COF,DH, and hits for power, Delmon can PH play RF, and Snider has good OBP. Trouble is you probably have to eat De Aza's salary.

We shall see, I think for now Cabrera stays but could go. Flaws and all he is still the best backup SS we have in my opinion. We need Schoop back big time either way.

Because I expect him to be on the roster and don't want him to rot on the bench. I think if he plays in a limited capacity he will not be exposed as much.

I don't think he stays but if he does then sure, he should play and that is the least damaging spot.

Why would you keep him on the roster after Flaherty returns?

Why would you keep him on the roster after Flaherty returns?

For depth and the fact he is under team control next year. DeAza is done here anyway, whether now or next year. The fact is we have too many OF's on this team and not enough at bats for all of them. Paredes to his credit has taken over the DH role, a spot that has taken at bats away from outfielders. I agree with you musical chairs comment earlier and I think it needs to stop now.

For depth and the fact he is under team control next year. DeAza is done here anyway, whether now or next year. The fact is we have too many OF's on this team and not enough at bats for all of them. Paredes to his credit has taken over the DH role, a spot that has taken at bats away from outfielders. I agree with you musical chairs comment earlier and I think it needs to stop now.
De Aza is making 5M, Cabrera is making 2.4 M much easier to eat 2.4 M. Besides Cabrera isn't even as productive as De Aza. He is a poor 2B and isn't close to Hardy at SS. You have to keep De Aza as long as possible to hope he has some trade value. I agree of the COF he is the one who should go, but the problem is the salary.

De Aza is making 5M, Cabrera is making 2.4 M much easier to eat 2.4 M. Besides Cabrera isn't even as productive as De Aza. He is a poor 2B and isn't close to Hardy at SS. You have to keep De Aza as long as possible to hope he has some trade value. I agree of the COF he is the one who should go, but the problem is the salary.

In the interview I posted in another thread DD said we have been playing with one too many outfielders and one short with the infielders. I would go ahead and change that now and not wait until Schoop gets back.

Another point I would make is the other options like Alvarez and Reimold at AAA. I am not saying they are the greatest options in the world but I think with the current talent in Baltimore and at AAA we have better corner OF depth than middle infield depth.

In the interview I posted in another thread DD said we have been playing with one too many outfielders and one short with the infielders. I would go ahead and change that now and not wait until Schoop gets back.
And just eat 5M? Besides when Flaherty returns next week you won't be short an IF.

And just eat 5M? Besides when Flaherty returns next week you won't be short an IF.

If Cabrera goes for Flaherty then aren't we in the same siuation as now? I don't consider Paredes a true infielder.

I also wonder if DeAza would accept an outright assignment to AAA so he doesn't lose his money. That is a good chunk of change to say goodbye to.

Archived