Mock Draft v. 3.10

From> http://www.mlb-draft.com/mock-draft.html

This is what I think will happen as of this date, not how it would be were I making each pick per team.

1. Tampa Bay Rays > *Pedro Alvarez, College 3B/1B, Vanderbilt

2. Pittsburgh Pirates > Tim Beckham, High School SS, (GA)

3. Kansas City Royals > *Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

4. Baltimore Orioles > #Justin Smoak, College 1B, South Carolina

5. San Francisco Giants > *Eric Hosmer, High School 1B, (FL)

6. Florida Marlins > *Kyle Skipworth, High School C, (CA)

7. Cincinnati Reds > Tim Melville, High School RHSP, (MO)

8. Chicago White Sox > Aaron Crow, College RHSP, Missouri

9. Washington Nationals > Harold Martinez, High School SS/3B, (FL)

10. Houston Astros > Yonder Alonso, College 1B, Miami (FL)

11. Texas Rangers> Shooter Hunt, College RHSP, Tulane

Hope your correct, and Hosmer and Smoak are there for us. Other than SS, its our biggest hole. At the moment, I'd say both are better hitters than Rowell, who , in my opinion, will be moved to 1st before he ever plays in the majors.

The Nats won't take Martinez unless he's the best player by far. He projects as a 3B. If the draft shakes out ahead of them as you have it, I'd look for one of the college pitchers like Friedrich, Hunter, or Scheppers, or possibly Gordon Beckham if he keeps playing this well. Aaron Hicks has great numbers so far as well.

I've read that Pittsburgh wants a pitcher and that Crow is their top choice.

Crow or Melville makes more sense to KC because of the local connection, but one of their fans swears they'll take Smoak lol.

SF moved their top prospect Villalona to 1B. If he sticks I would think that would keep them from taking Smoak or Hosmer and the high signing bonus that those two will require.

Cincinnati usually takes college players.

Chicago doesn't spend on the draft. I can't see them taking Crow. They'll take Alonso if he's there because he's an advanced bat and doesn't seem to have the signability issue that Crow would.

From> http://www.mlb-draft.com/mock-draft.html

This is what I think will happen as of this date, not how it would be were I making each pick per team.

1. Tampa Bay Rays > *Pedro Alvarez, College 3B/1B, Vanderbilt

2. Pittsburgh Pirates > Tim Beckham, High School SS, (GA)

3. Kansas City Royals > *Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

4. Baltimore Orioles > #Justin Smoak, College 1B, South Carolina

5. San Francisco Giants > *Eric Hosmer, High School 1B, (FL)

6. Florida Marlins > *Kyle Skipworth, High School C, (CA)

7. Cincinnati Reds > Tim Melville, High School RHSP, (MO)

8. Chicago White Sox > Aaron Crow, College RHSP, Missouri

9. Washington Nationals > Harold Martinez, High School SS/3B, (FL)

10. Houston Astros > Yonder Alonso, College 1B, Miami (FL)

11. Texas Rangers> Shooter Hunt, College RHSP, Tulane

Hope your correct, and Hosmer and Smoak are there for us. Other than SS, its our biggest hole. At the moment, I'd say both are better hitters than Rowell, who , in my opinion, will be moved to 1st before he ever plays in the majors.

Rowell's development this year is important on a number of fronts, but could potentially affect who we choose this June. While I don't personally subscribe to the theory of picking for need, some teams keep it in mind come draft time. If Rowell explodes the first half, does that empower Jordan to look at other positions? Dunno... but it would at least make choosing a 1B/3B more interesting.

I thought I had read somewhere that there was some sort of connection between Smoak & Weiters. Does anyone elseremember that?

Im pretty sure they went to the same high school.

Im lovin the Smoak pick more and more. I think we would have a real hard choice if both Alvarez and Smoak are on the board. I could see Matusz going #1 then Pitt taking Crowe and KC staying local with Melville. I almost hope this doesnt happen as there would be just to much on the board. This is the year i wish we had mutiple 1st round picks.

The Nats won't take Martinez unless he's the best player by far. He projects as a 3B. If the draft shakes out ahead of them as you have it, I'd look for one of the college pitchers like Friedrich, Hunter, or Scheppers, or possibly Gordon Beckham if he keeps playing this well. Aaron Hicks has great numbers so far as well.

Crow or Melville makes more sense to KC because of the local connection, but one of their fans swears they'll take Smoak lol.

SF moved their top prospect Villalona to 1B. If he sticks I would think that would keep them from taking Smoak or Hosmer and the high signing bonus that those two will require.

Chicago doesn't spend on the draft. I can't see them taking Crow. They'll take Alonso if he's there because he's an advanced bat and doesn't seem to have the signability issue that Crow would.

Lots to debate here... ;)

Harold Martinez may stay at short and is only projected at 3B because some feel he may outgrow it. I think he can handle short.

Pittsburgh needs to lay off of college pitchers, or face the wrath of their fanbase... I'll be surprised if they take a pitcher with so many great hitters on the board at pick two.

The local connection is overblown, and KC's GM will again take the best player on the board. Many options will be available at #3, but Matusz makes a lot of sense pending improvement from Crow. I can't see Melville being popped that early.

San Fran is another tough call, and while Villalona is their top prospect, they have a fairly poor prospect base and perhaps the worst overall talent in the game. It's too early to avoid taking players because an 18 year old is being counted on.

Agreed on Cincy, but I've a feeling they'll pop Melville and try to strike HS pitcher gold again (Bailey).

I started putting Alonso there, so valid points there.

As I said... much to debate, but you are on top of this thing. Good post.

Gregg, What pros do you think Smoak, Alvarez, and Beckham compare too? Do any the prospects have a chance to be elite at the next level? What do you think of the Alex Bucholtz (spelling) kid from the University of Delaware? I believe he is a SS. As always thanks.

Actually in the past few years Cincy has gone H.S.

2007 Mesoraca H.S. C

2006 Stubbs College OF

2005 Bruce H.S. OF

2004 Bailey H.S. P

2003 R. Wagner College P

2002 C. Gruler H.S. P, Mark Schramek College 3b

2001 Jeremy Sowers H.S. P (unsigned)

2000 David Espinosa H.S. ss, Dustin Moseley H.S. P

Gregg, What pros do you think Smoak, Alvarez, and Beckham compare too? Do any the prospects have a chance to be elite at the next level? What do you think of the Alex Bucholtz (spelling) kid from the University of Delaware? I believe he is a SS. As always thanks.

Buchholz is a 6' 1 195 lbs shortstop at Delaware, however his pro position will likely be either 2B or 3B. Skills-wise, Alex has a good arm, solid power, good bat-speed, a good eye and is a fine base runner. He'll get picked fairly early come June (round 3-5?), but it's tough to tell at this juncture.

This draft has multiple potential elite level prospects...

Smoak could be similar to Mark Teixeira or even Eddie Murray. Switch hitting power hitters with good batting averages and good defenders around the bag.

Alvarez could be similar to George Brett (w/o the defense) at 3B, or perhaps at 1B similar to Raffy Palmeiro (w/o the defense).

Beckham has been compared to BJ Upton and Barry Larkin, but Larkin is the better comp. He should be very, very good.

Hosmer could be similar to Will Clark but with the potential for even better power numbers.

Brian Matusz could become similar to Mike Flanagan.

Naturally, comparisons are simply that, comparisons. Every player makes his own way, and some of these guys could be busts... but these are tremendous prospects with serious upside, and with the Orioles picking at #4 we should get to take on a special player indeed.

Tampa: Pedro Alvarez. He'll probably be moved to the outfield.

Pittsburgh: Everyone I've talked to in Pitt says it will be a pitcher. One said Crow, I said "probably" Matusz. This isn't the same as Moskos over Weiters. These two pitchers are legit picks at this spot. Their fans shouldn't be upset by this.

KC: Melville is not as bad a pick here as Greg is saying. Remember everyone had KC taking Porcello last year and only the bonus demands kept that from happening. Now you have another dominant HS pitcher with local connections and without the high bonus demands. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but it's a lot more likely than unlikely to me. A KC fan I talked to that follows the draft says he thinks it'll be Smoak and they'll go Smoak 1B, Butler DH, Moustakas LF, Gordon 3B.

Balt: I think it will either be Smoak or Matusz. If Smoak's there I'd guess that's the pick, although Jordan will think hard about a pitcher. If Rowell breaks out they may go Matusz.

SF: People I heard from out there say Matusz is the pick if he's there. In my scenerio he would be. I could also see Beckham here if he's still on the board.

Fla: Beckham if he's available. Hanley will probably be traded in the next couple of years. They also have a need at catcher, so Skipworth could be the pick.

Cin: I checked my notes and I did make a mistake. Cincinnati has a new scouting director and he's the one that they say likes college players. Brett Hunter, Tanner Scheppers, or Gordon Beckham could be the pick. I could see Harold Martinez here if he has a good season.

Chi: This one will be Alonso based on everything I've read. Unless he goes earlier.

Was: This will be an interesting pick. I'll be stunned if it's Harold Martinez. Everyone other than Greg says he'll be a 3B and I believe even Martinez himself said he expects to move there eventually. If Hosmer's available, I think he'll be the pick. Bowden won't be able to resist the bat. Even though Marrero's at 1B. They wanted Moustakas last year and were willing to deal w/Boras. Skipworth or a college pitcher is possible here. Aaron Hicks is off to a great start as is Gordon Beckham, so they could also go here.

Lots to debate here... ;)

Harold Martinez may stay at short and is only projected at 3B because some feel he may outgrow it. I think he can handle short.

Pittsburgh needs to lay off of college pitchers, or face the wrath of their fanbase... I'll be surprised if they take a pitcher with so many great hitters on the board at pick two.

The local connection is overblown, and KC's GM will again take the best player on the board. Many options will be available at #3, but Matusz makes a lot of sense pending improvement from Crow. I can't see Melville being popped that early.

San Fran is another tough call, and while Villalona is their top prospect, they have a fairly poor prospect base and perhaps the worst overall talent in the game. It's too early to avoid taking players because an 18 year old is being counted on.

Agreed on Cincy, but I've a feeling they'll pop Melville and try to strike HS pitcher gold again (Bailey).

I started putting Alonso there, so valid points there.

As I said... much to debate, but you are on top of this thing. Good post.

I'm assuming you've seen Martinez? Everyone else I've read says he's a 3B. Even if it's "possible", you don't take him when you have Zimmerman. It doesn't make sense unless he's by far the best player available.

I addresed Pittsburgh in my semi-mock above:)

I'll be shocked if Crow gets by KC.

I'll be really shocked and excited if Crow gets by SF. You say it's too early to count on an 18-year old, but you have them taking another one? And one who may play the same position as Villalona over Crow, Melville, and even Skipworth? Plus you're not even factoring in the bonus demands of Hosmer. I just don't see it.

I could see Melville at Cincy. I just put the college thing because that's what I'm reading/hearing. You can never have enough pitching. But under your mock why would you take Melville over Crow? Crow is a Boras guy, but Cincinnati just spent 2 million on a Dominican player.

Archived