Worst hitting MLB team in May

Aglets

I definitely don't try to present myself as a doom and gloom guy.........but having the 30th ranked OPS out of 30 (.629) is pretty inexcusable. Especially after a strong April where we slugged .827......good for #2 in all of MLB!

How crazy is that. Definitely makes it nigh impossible to judge where we truly are. So is it the our hitters who are more to blame? Or did we just come into a buzzsaw with the pitchers we faced?

More importantly, is there something that we can do to fix it?

I'd never thought I'd say this.........but is there any scenario where the O's might look at someone like Ryan Howard? He's hitting .832, which is the best he's done in several years. Yea his contract is absurd so for the sake of argument I'm assuming that we're going to get Philly to take on the vast majority of that money if we trade. Obviously the O's will not take him otherwise.

I bring him up for two reasons:

1. He is performing quite well in 2015 so far

2. Philly will be clearly quite motivated to move him

It's definitely not Buck's MO to jettison someone like Davis this early in the season but I get the impression that Duquette really doesn't care at all about the 'veteranosity effect.'

Oh well, flame on. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely don't try to present myself as a doom and gloom guy.........but having the 30th ranked OPS out of 30 (.629) is pretty inexcusable. Especially after a strong April where we slugged .827......good for #2 in all of MLB!

How crazy is that. Definitely makes it nigh impossible to judge where we truly are. So is it the our hitters who are more to blame? Or did we just come into a buzzsaw with the pitchers we faced?

More importantly, is there something that we can do to fix it?

I'd never thought I'd say this.........but is there any scenario where the O's might look at someone like Ryan Howard? He's hitting .832, which is the best he's done in several years. Yea his contract is absurd so for the sake of argument I'm assuming that we're going to get Philly to take on the vast majority of that money if we trade. Obviously the O's will not take him otherwise.

I bring him up for two reasons:

1. He is performing quite well in 2015 so far

2. Philly will be clearly quite motivated to move him

It's definitely not Buck's MO to jettison someone like Davis this early in the season but I get the impression that Duquette really doesn't care at all about the 'veteranosity effect.'

Oh well, flame on. :)

I disagree with you.

Phillies motivation, would depend on what they want for him. So far, Ruben has been way over-valued for all of his guys. He wants the farm and pick up most of the money left on the table.

This is why losing Cruz and Markakis were such big losses. Cruz would look really good in the middle of this lineup. Markakis is having a pretty solid year with the bat, but I think we are really missing his defense in RF, with his knowledge of how to play RF at the Yard. I don't know how much more of Delmon Young I can take, and the defense in RF overall this year has been very frustrating to watch. I think we are a much better team with Cruz and Markakis back in this lineup.

I disagree with you.

Phillies motivation, would depend on what they want for him. So far, Ruben has been way over-valued for all of his guys. He wants the farm and pick up most of the money left on the table.

Yeah, the Phillies haven't come to grips yet with how foolish they've been with big contracts. In a rational world; Howard to the Os for nothing with the Phillies eating 80+% of his contract could work, but the Phils ain't rational.

Too many guys trying to get regular at bats. No one except manny, paredes, Jones, Joseph and Davis know if they are going to be in the lineup on any given day. You are cycling through De Aza, Snider, Pearce, Cabrera, Lough, Young...It is just not conducive to building positive trends for these guys, and it will just get worse when Wieters comes back.

It's time for Buck to chose 3 guys for LF, RF and DH and let them work through and establish good hitting trends.

This is why losing Cruz and Markakis were such big losses. Cruz would look really good in the middle of this lineup. Markakis is having a pretty solid year with the bat' date=' but I think we are really missing his defense in RF, with his knowledge of how to play RF at the Yard. I don't know how much more of Delmon Young I can take, and the defense in RF overall this year has been very frustrating to watch. I think we are a much better team with Cruz and Markakis back in this lineup.[/quote']

Actually's Nick's OPS in May is .662, so he would not be helping at all.

I hate to say it but we shouldn't be surprised that this is happening. I didn't think that the offense would be this bad but I don't think that any of us should be surprised that they are struggling. The first quick fix is to get Davis out of the middle of the lineup. Buck is too good of a manager to keep him in the middle of the order and enough is enough.

This team is (and should be) committed to Chris Davis until he becomes a free agent at the end of this season. Philadelphia has been dealing with Ryan Howard in much the same way we are dealing with Chris Davis right now. Ryan Howard might be performing well at the moment but it would be incredibly unwise to put Davis on the bench and crown Ryan Howard the savior of the franchise.

I think there is a lot of blame being cast at DD for his failure to bolster the Orioles for this year, but no one could have counted on:

1. Matt Wieters not playing at all (thank God for Caleb Joseph)

2. Chris Davis bottoming out completely

3. Jon Schoop blowing out his leg

4. Every acquisition of the offseason and every bright spot of last season struggling-- Young, Pearce, De Aza, Snider, Cabrera

DD might have been tempted by the Blue Jays, but Dan not pitching millions of dollars at free agent probably stems from wanting to keep many of the current role players on the team and there are 9 of them coming up for free agency.

At this point, there isn't a 1B available in free agency, they will need to pay Chris Davis or make a trade.

They will and should pay Chen.

I think they should keep O'Day, but it depends on his price tag. I believe that all of these guys in Norfolk coming up is Dan's way of saying "we aren't keeping many bullpen guys next year so we need to know what we have now".

I hate to say it but we shouldn't be surprised that this is happening. I didn't think that the offense would be this bad but I don't think that any of us should be surprised that they are struggling. The first quick fix is to get Davis out of the middle of the lineup. Buck is too good of a manager to keep him in the middle of the order and enough is enough.
Where he bats has been proven to be pretty irrelevant. It's just an if that matters.

Too many guys trying to get regular at bats. No one except manny, paredes, Jones, Joseph and Davis know if they are going to be in the lineup on any given day. You are cycling through De Aza, Snider, Pearce, Cabrera, Lough, Young...It is just not conducive to building positive trends for these guys, and it will just get worse when Wieters comes back.

It's time for Buck to chose 3 guys for LF, RF and DH and let them work through and establish good hitting trends.

This.....

Archived