Worst hitting MLB team in May

Aglets

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real bad but Jones should pick it up, Hardy might give us a little something. Also the second coming is on his way real soon.

With the exception of Jimmy Paredes (.333) and Manny Machado (.300), there is no one in the Orioles lineup who is swinging a good bat this month. Outside of Travis Snider (.263), no other Oriole is hitting above .250 in the month of May.

Then there?s Davis, who is hitting just .154 this month and has nearly three times as many strikeouts (35) as hits (12).

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-morning-observations-on-the-os-offensive-woes-chris-davis-and-brian-matusz-20150526-story.html

...Then there?s Davis, who is hitting just .154 this month and has nearly three times as many strikeouts (35) as hits (12)...

I was in 340 last night. The GF and I very nearly gave CD a standing ovation when he hit the sac fly. Pitiful.

That said, Howard would be a panic move, and DD is not a panic guy.

Howard is 35, still can't run, still can't field, and has a giant albatross of a contract. And for six or eight weeks he's been hitting better than he has since 2011. He's the same player he was two months ago when I said, sure, I'd take Howard if the Phils eat almost his entire salary and ask for only a token minor leaguer in return. But the issue is that he's a DH. And so is Jimmy Paredes. To get them both in the lineup you have to take a hit on defense. I'm not so sure I'd take a hit on defense to play a guy who has hit worse than this in all of the last three years.

At this point I suppose I'd be fine releasing Young and giving Parmelee a shot. But I don't think Parmelee is likely to be better, and the O's just might dump someone else who I think is more useful like Lough or De Aza.

Hoow is Parmelee's defense, we already have Paredes being the full-time DH?

Pearce and Snider are the Corner OF today, hard to tell what is going to happen with the roster.

I definitely don't try to present myself as a doom and gloom guy.........but having the 30th ranked OPS out of 30 (.629) is pretty inexcusable. Especially after a strong April where we slugged .827......good for #2 in all of MLB!

How crazy is that. Definitely makes it nigh impossible to judge where we truly are. So is it the our hitters who are more to blame? Or did we just come into a buzzsaw with the pitchers we faced?

More importantly, is there something that we can do to fix it?

I'd never thought I'd say this.........but is there any scenario where the O's might look at someone like Ryan Howard? He's hitting .832, which is the best he's done in several years. Yea his contract is absurd so for the sake of argument I'm assuming that we're going to get Philly to take on the vast majority of that money if we trade. Obviously the O's will not take him otherwise.

I bring him up for two reasons:

1. He is performing quite well in 2015 so far

2. Philly will be clearly quite motivated to move him

It's definitely not Buck's MO to jettison someone like Davis this early in the season but I get the impression that Duquette really doesn't care at all about the 'veteranosity effect.'

Oh well, flame on. :)

The question is what does Duquette plan to do about it? He needs to something besides bring back the light hitting Ryan Flaherty.

The question is what does Duquette plan to do about it? He needs to something besides bring back the light hitting Ryan Flaherty.

Ryan isn't the fix all to their woes.

Just the super utility guy off the bench.

Not being the GM, just playing one in OH.

I think they shake up the roster and maybe DFA De Aza and bring up Parmalee.

Reimold has an opt out clause 'late in the season.' I'm not sure any more specific information than that has been given.

Thanks ,Just found this online.

According to an industry source, Reimold has a contract provision that would require the Orioles to send an email to the other 29 clubs on Saturday, July 11 to canvass their interest in adding Reimold to a 25-man roster –- if he is not already on the Orioles’ 25-man.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-looking-into-reimolds-opt-out-in-july-20150404-story.html

Thanks ,Just found this online.

According to an industry source, Reimold has a contract provision that would require the Orioles to send an email to the other 29 clubs on Saturday, July 11 to canvass their interest in adding Reimold to a 25-man roster –- if he is not already on the Orioles’ 25-man.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-looking-into-reimolds-opt-out-in-july-20150404-story.html

Steve Johnson has same (not same provision but an opt-out).

Just to tie this thread off with a bow.

We did finish May off with the worst OPS in the majors. We finished tied with the Mets for 28th in runs scored (although we played one more game than them).

With the substantial improvements made in pitching........we really need to get this offense thing straightened out.

Just to tie this thread off with a bow.

We did finish May off with the worst OPS in the majors. We finished tied with the Mets for 28th in runs scored (although we played one more game than them).

With the substantial improvements made in pitching........we really need to get this offense thing straightened out.

To some extent, you just have to wait it out and hope certain guys perform better. We were the best-hitting team in baseball in April, and the worst-hitting team in May. The true talent of the team lies somewhere in between.

Archived