As much as most of us root for Crush... He's not helping on offense...

Bazooka Jones

o

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions and generalities about Martin. I thought pretty much the same thing until I started reading his bio. Very complex and interesting guy.

The story according to Reedy was that they had both been drinking but Martin was driving. Reedy told police when they arrived that he had been driving in order to spare his buddy a DUI, not yet knowing Martin had died. He said the accident had more to do with ice and the absence of guard rails than alcohol.

Thanks, Gordo.

By chance, do you recall if the story stated whether or not Martin was wearing a seat-belt during the accident and/or if that was a contributing factor in his death?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you deny the quality of the efforts, expense, and work to improve this game stronger than I have - you are way out there. Way.

The world of baseball has passed you by.

What does this mean?

I still would like to know what this means.

He is not dropping him down in the order because that would be a reaction to the past, and the SSS past is not a good predictor of what is going to happen tonight. His wOBA for the year is higher than last years. We know he is streaky. We know he can bust out at any moment. Why are we overreacting to every slump a streaky hitter has?

Because this hitter batted .196 last year and is heading down that path again. I'm sick of watching him strike out 2-3 times every game. I'm all for moving Paredes to 1st next year and let K-hris go play for Seattle.

Is there something that keeps him from trying to bunt for a base hit during the shift?

Billy Martin wanted to drop Reggie Jackson to sixth in the order from cleanup because he struck out too much. The GM had to step in and tell him no. So Billy and Herman probably would have gotten along great.

Not gonna bash Martin though. He did some stuff very well. Managing his pitchers and platooning were major strengths as I recall. Both stuff he learned from Stengel. Small ball tactics, like bunting and hit and run, were more questionable, but he probably did have guys that did it well.

Managing his pitchers a strength? Only if you don't mind that he overuses them and ran them into the ground and every single one of their arms fell off.

Managing his pitchers a strength? Only if you don't mind that he overuses them and ran them into the ground and every single one of their arms fell off.

Pretty standard for the day. I'd bet Weaver burnt his SP's more than Martin did. My recollection is that Martin managed his SP and BP very well. He had several weaker areas to be picked on imo.

Yeah, I don't think so Mike, but whatever. Got something to say, then say it.

I swear to you. I was just trying to be fancy with how I was saying it.

Foolishly.

To disregard all the money spent and effort and talent expended over the last few decades is very foolish. For anyone to deny that we know more about what baseball is now is very old fashioned.

Pretty standard for the day. I'd bet Weaver burnt his SP's more than Martin did. My recollection is that Martin managed his SP and BP very well. He had several weaker areas to be picked on imo.

Billy's handling of his Oakland pitchers in the early 80s was standard. For 1948.

I think that I am probably the outlier for someone with his feet dug in on some of this.

If you deny the quality of the efforts, expense, and work to improve this game stronger than I have - you are way out there. Way.

The world of baseball has passed you by.

The You in this post was a universal You. Not a CA you.

Look at the 79/80 A's. Those guys were frequently pitching 9 or 10 innings. Norris, McCatty, Lankford, who am I missing? Keough? They all came down with serious arm injuries.

No way was the pitching usage for the BillyBall A's "standard for the day".

Maybe because he hit under .200 last year, is almost there this year, and even though he might hit the occasional homer, most of his at bats are worthless.

I've been joking lately that if MLB really wants to speed up the game, they could just skip Davis' at bats and give him a K in the books. Save about 2 to 3 minutes each at bat and get the same result.

It looks like he almost refuses to try to hit the outer edge pitches to the opposite field to beat the shift. He gets pitches in that area, but pulls them into the shift. Why not try something different?

Look at the 79/80 A's. Those guys were frequently pitching 9 or 10 innings. Norris, McCatty, Lankford, who am I missing? Keough? They all came down with serious arm injuries.

No way was the pitching usage for the Billy Ball A's "standard for the day".

'80-'81.

Martin took over the team prior to the 1980 season.

Brian Kingman was the 5th starter.

No way was the pitching usage for the BillyBall A's "standard for the day".

1980 A's: 94 complete games.

Next most in the AL: Brewers with 48.

Not standard.

Archived