ERod to make major league debut for Boston Thursday against Texas

Crazysilver03

Will be interesting to see. Boston desperately needs the up-and-coming arms to start coming through or it could get ugly for them in the coming years. I wonder if they are showcasing him for Philly?

If he shows well, wouldn't it be better for Boston to keep him than trade him to Philadelphia?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing personal, but I hope he's a flop. He's not an Oriole and that's all that matters. Unfortunately, the baseball gods not only don't take my calls, they like to mess with me. So I just assume call him Cy-Rod....it's only a matter of time.

If he shows well, wouldn't it be better for Boston to keep him than trade him to Philadelphia?

I think Boston really likes him. But I also think its possible they have comparable arms and would value Hamels at his price point if he's available without including Swihart/Betts. I still see Rodriguez as a potential mid-rotation arm, and Hamels is a notch above that and under control for 3.67 years plus an option.

I think Boston really likes him. But I also think its possible they have comparable arms and would value Hamels at his price point if he's available without including Swihart/Betts. I still see Rodriguez as a potential mid-rotation arm, and Hamels is a notch above that and under control for 3.67 years plus an option.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Hamels is even going to matter if he ends up on Boston. He might get them to .500, but that's about it. With their -38 run differential, Boston has been just a bit above terrible. If I'm Boston, or the Cubs for that matter, I'm going after Oakland's Sonny Gray.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Hamels is even going to matter if he ends up on Boston. He might get them to .500, but that's about it. With their -38 run differential, Boston has been just a bit above terrible. If I'm Boston, or the Cubs for that matter, I'm going after Oakland's Sonny Gray.

My love of Gray is well documented; he'd be a great get for anyone. That said, I don't think Boston or Chicago give up what would be required to obtain 4+ years of very cheap control for the former 'Dore. Just my opinion, but I think each would much rather spend money in FA than ante-up for an arm/contract like Gray. At least Hamels gets prospect discounted a good chunk by his $23 million-per contract.

Definitely interesting if Oakland were to make Gray available, though.

Nothing personal, but I hope he's a flop. He's not an Oriole and that's all that matters. Unfortunately, the baseball gods not only don't take my calls, they like to mess with me. So I just assume call him Cy-Rod....it's only a matter of time.

Which start will be better? Ed-Rod or Tyler Wilson.

My love of Gray is well documented; he'd be a great get for anyone. That said, I don't think Boston or Chicago give up what would be required to obtain 4+ years of very cheap control for the former 'Dore. Just my opinion, but I think each would much rather spend money in FA than ante-up for an arm/contract like Gray. At least Hamels gets prospect discounted a good chunk by his $23 million-per contract.

Definitely interesting if Oakland were to make Gray available, though.

Why would Oakland even think of doing that?

Meh don't wish him ill will. Hope he pitches decent. And that the Boston bullpen gets rocked.

Not ill will to him personally. I hope he pitches to a 4.80 ERA for the Sox for years, goes to arb and gets maximum raises (maybe he has a good FIP), then gets a 5/100 deal from the Yankees followed by 5 years of a 5.25 ERA. That makes him both unfathomably rich and (barely) one of the top 200-300 pitchers in the world. That's a good life.

Thats even more pressure to put on the kid's first start for them.

I don't think it is that much of a big deal nowadays. So many games get nationally televised now with ESPN and MLBN and sports packages. This a decade ago Fox Saturday's and ESPN Sunday night were the only national games.

I can't imagine Amaro asking only for EdRod in a deal with Boston. He sees Hamels as an ace, not as what he truly is which closer to what you've said. Do you think Boston would include Swihart/Betts along with EdRod?

Archived