Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

The O's have as much leverage as the Cubs. As many Cubs fans have started, the Cubs already have a 2B who is productive (DeRosa), not to mention they have a 2B who could bat leadoff (EPatt). And between DeRosa/Patterson at 2B, I pretty confident those two would match, or surpass the production value of Roberts.

So this theory that the O's have the leverage is a myth. To the Cubs, Brian Roberts is a luxury, not a need.

While this statement is felt to be correct by several of the Cubs posters on this site, its pretty obvious that its not the opinion of Hendry. While this back and forth by O's and Cubs fans can fill up several 40+ page threads the only real opinions that matter are AM's and Hendry's. I am fairly certain that there isn't a trade out there that would satisfy both teams fans.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A luxury that you need if you want to compete for a World Series ring.

This is a complete fallacy.

Postseason baseball is a crapshoot, and the best team rarely wins. Go look and see. Heck I bet since the postseason expanded to 8, more wildcard teams (2 per year) have won the WS than Division Champs (6 per year). If not it's darn close.

If you want to try and connect the dots between roster makeup and playoff odds, you'd look at starting pitching first. And second. And third too. Nobody wins on the strength of a middle infielder.

The O's have as much leverage as the Cubs. As many Cubs fans have started, the Cubs already have a 2B who is productive (DeRosa), not to mention they have a 2B who could bat leadoff (EPatt). And between DeRosa/Patterson at 2B, I pretty confident those two would match, or surpass the production value of Roberts.

So this theory that the O's have the leverage is a myth. To the Cubs, Brian Roberts is a luxury, not a need.

Any reasonable expectation would have Roberts outproducing DeRosa. I can certainly see Patterson matching Roberts' numbers at some point soon, but right away? That's a mighty big stretch too.

The issue is whether the margin is great enough to warrant giving away all of this young cheap talent.

Any reasonable expectation would have Roberts outproducing DeRosa. I can certainly see Patterson matching Roberts' numbers at some point soon, but right away? That's a mighty big stretch too.

The issue is whether the margin is great enough to warrant giving away all of this young cheap talent.

Guess you are surprised Ceda now appears to be in the deal?

Postseason baseball is a crapshoot, and the best team rarely wins. Go look and see. Heck I bet since the postseason expanded to 8, more wildcard teams (2 per year) have won the WS than Division Champs (6 per year). If not it's darn close.

If you want to try and connect the dots between roster makeup and playoff odds, you'd look at starting pitching first. And second. And third too. Nobody wins on the strength of a middle infielder.

I can think of two: Marlins and Red Sox. After that, though, I don't know of any off hand. Others have made the WS, but not won. Were the White Sox actually a Wild Card team the year they won? The twins took the division that year? If so, that's three. Wild card teams have done very well.

I think the reason for getting Roberts, too, though, is to pad the regular season and try to get Home Field throughout the National League playoffs. That does help.

(edit) Otherwise, yes, you're right. Roberts is just as likely to flop in the playoffs as he is to get hot. That's just baseball. Anyone can get hot or cold at anytime.

I think the margin is great enough and not just because I am an Orioles fan. The Cubs dont have a deep enough farm system to create a prolonged playoff appearance. Adding Roberts to an already deep team should allow them to be in the hunt for the next two years at least. He is a proven commodity.

Roberts gives you another dimension to your team that you currently do not have. Gives you another way the Cubs can win games. If you have more potential ways of winning games (regular season or post season), you will win more games.

Don't worry, cubs won't have the best roster at any time this year..

Roberts gives you another dimension to your team that you currently do not have. Gives you another way the Cubs can win games. If you have more potential ways of winning games (regular season or post season), you will win more games.

Don't worry, cubs won't have the best roster at any time this year..

Roberts improves the Cubs in a few areas, sure.

You said the Cubs "need that if (they) want to compete for a World Series ring."

That part is a fallacy.

Roberts improves the Cubs in a few areas, sure.

You said the Cubs "need that if (they) want to compete for a World Series ring."

That part is a fallacy.

Ok...If they want to realistically compete by reducing the amount of question marks about their team.

To read the articles we are reading, to see the Cubs increase their offers, to hear rumors about the "frustration" of the Cubs FO, it's fairly obvious IMO that the Cubs are more interested in making this deal happen (and making it happen sooner than later) than AM. I would consider than negotiating leverage.

In these negotiations for BRob, the Os have that leverage.

But they may need BRob to make the playoffs.

Well that's part of what i'm saying too, as far as competing for a world series.

NL Central is better then people think, I think. Cubs may realistically not even make it to he playoffs with or without Roberts.

Archived