Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

So this is what journalism has come to? What a sad, sad commentary on the overall state or our culture. Whether it's sports, politics, or anything else, "all the news that's fit to print" these days seems to amount to nothing more than rumors steeped in innuendo. Where have all the real reporters gone? :(

They're only reporting what people want to hear...in this instant gratification era, quick snippets, quotes and rumors that are fuel for message board fires and blogs are what gets webpage hits.

Grantland Rice would probably puke.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Furthermore, I don't really care who starts opening day, it doesn't really matter...especially when we've written off this season to begin with and are predicted to win anywhere between 65 and 72 games.

The kids will get plenty of time this year, no need to get the boards collective panties in a bunch.

This is only news because it came from Stark. I think the addition of the Trachsel starting on opening day tidbit shows how bad and unsubstantiated this report actually is. Coddling the young pitchers from what?! Guthrie starts opening day. Case closed.

While predictions are rampant, I think Roberts is dealt on the third Tuesday of April. I mean this report isn't even worth discussing to be honest.

Furthermore, I don't really care who starts opening day, it doesn't really matter...especially when we've written off this season to begin with and are predicted to win anywhere between 65 and 72 games.

The kids will get plenty of time this year, no need to get the boards collective panties in a bunch.

Yes, but OD is a proud tradition and to throw someone like Trax out there would be insane. This will likely be one of the more memorable games of the year. Why not try to win?

So Stark's telling me our rotation is probably going to look like this next year:

1. Trax

2. Lohse

3. DCab

4. Guthrie

5. Loewen

hold up, really?

There, I fixed it for you. Based on the logic of Trax starting OD, this would be the most likely scenario. Absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

STRIKE TWO -- Bird Land: An official of one club that has been in touch with the Orioles and Cubs predicts the Orioles will trade Brian Roberts to Wrigleyville in the third week of March. The most likely package continues to be Roberts and Jay Payton for Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and at least one more prospect.

The Orioles also have been telling clubs they'll add at least one more veteran starting pitcher before Opening Day. Translation: Kyle Lohse, if they can keep Scott Boras' asking price within reason.

At the moment, the Orioles are planning on Steve Trachsel as their Opening Day starter, just to take the heat off their younger pitchers. Which leads us to this question: What's the last team to start a free agent who signed a minor-league contract on Opening Day? If you can think of one, let us know, at uselessinfodept@yahoo.com.

So the cubs offer went from Cedeno/Gallagher/Veal and possibly a 4th for Roberts to...Gallagher/Cedeno and at least one more. Guess it is similar, seems like the offer may not be as strong. But don't want to get that started!

Trachsel on opening day is interesting. Well interesting that it is getting reported. I would like to know where that information came through or if he is just taking a stab in the dark.

The positioning of Guthrie's first spring training starts has always made me wonder. His first spring training start was 29 days before Opening Day....the absolute worst day to start if you want to go every 5th day and be in line for Opening Day. Because you never see a guy go on short rest in spring training. You start a guy 31 or 32 days before tOD, and all he has to do is skip a day or two and go on 5 days rest once or twice during camp. But you start a guy 29 days before his first start, and he either has to skip 4 days or else go on short rest at one point. Yeah, I know, it's not like he's going to throw his arm out of whack pitching on 3 days rest especially since pitch counts are so low early in camp. But on the other hand, the games are meaningless, why not set up your OD starter to be a multiple of 5 days before Opening Day? Trachsel started 31 days before Opening Day, FWIW.

I'm not sure why people would be shocked if Trachsel was the opening day starter. I could see Trembley giving him the edge in respect for his career and pitching decently for us last year. It's definitely not as far fetched as some of you seem to think.

I'm not sure why people would be shocked if Trachsel was the opening day starter. I could see Trembley giving him the edge in respect for his career and pitching decently for us last year. It's definitely not as far fetched as some of you seem to think.

Opening Day is a huge day for the fans. If Trax had been a lifelong O that'd be one thing, but he hasn't been. In my opinion it may do more harm than good. After TB's young lineup shells Trax and he gets booed coming off the mound in the 3rd or 4th inning when DT pulls him. I'm not guaranteeing Trax would suck, but IMO he doesn't give us our best chance at winning on OD, and that to me is what OD is all about.

Archived