Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

Trax vs. TB last season:

3 GS, 14.1 IP, 18 H, 12 ER, 10 BB, 7 K, .310 BAA, 7.54 ERA

Guthrie vs. TB last season:

3 GS, 20.1 IP, 23 H, 10 ER, 10 BB, 16 K, .284 BAA, 4.43 ERA

I think I know which one I'd rather have on the mound vs. TB...

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bringing in another veteran starter really doesn't make any sense to me. That 5th spot of the rotation is for a true youngin. It would be a classic O's move (classic as in the past 10 years) to sign a below average vet who we know won't be improving any and be satisfied but please prove me wrong here FO.

LET THE KIDS PLAY.

Enough of the "Oh they aren't ready and need more seasoning." We have a ton of young arms and at least a few of them are ready to show if they have what it takes to make it in the bigs or not. If they come up and suck for an extended period of time then we have at least learned something about that particular player. If they come up and play well then we have a young pitcher who can stick around in the rotation.

Bringing in another veteran starter really doesn't make any sense to me. That 5th spot of the rotation is for a true youngin. It would be a classic O's move (classic as in the past 10 years) to sign a below average vet who we know won't be improving any and be satisfied but please prove me wrong here FO.

LET THE KIDS PLAY.

Enough of the "Oh they aren't ready and need more seasoning." We have a ton of young arms and at least a few of them are ready to show if they have what it takes to make it in the bigs or not. If they come up and suck for an extended period of time then we have at least learned something about that particular player. If they come up and play well then we have a young pitcher who can stick around in the rotation.

The only reason I feel AM would do that is to keep his bullpen from being over worked.AM always likes inning eaters specially with a young team with young arms.

Trax vs. TB last season:

3 GS, 14.1 IP, 18 H, 12 ER, 10 BB, 7 K, .310 BAA, 7.54 ERA

Guthrie vs. TB last season:

3 GS, 20.1 IP, 23 H, 10 ER, 10 BB, 16 K, .284 BAA, 4.43 ERA

I think I know which one I'd rather have on the mound vs. TB...

Just for kicks...

Cabrera vs TB last season

4 GS, 26 IP, 18 H, 10 ER, 10 BB, 16K, .196 BAA, 3.46 ERA

So this is what journalism has come to? What a sad, sad commentary on the overall state or our culture. Whether it's sports, politics, or anything else, "all the news that's fit to print" these days seems to amount to nothing more than rumors steeped in innuendo. Where have all the real reporters gone? :(
An official of one club that has been in touch with the Orioles and Cubs predicts...
...was the sentence you were referencing and IMO you are completely justified in being unhappy with the state of sports journalism these days. So am I.

In this case, my take is a little different, because he really didn't try to hide the fact that this blurb had no foundation to begin with. (Why mention it in the first place seems to be a question nobody feels necessary to ask anymore) If it were another columnist who shall remain nameless, the story might have gone like this, clichés and all:

Sources say the long-anticipated trade between the Cubs and Orioles should go down no later than the third week of March. Look for Jay Payton to join All-Star Brian Roberts on the North Side while Sean Gallagher and Ronny Cedeno pack their bags for Camden Yards. But don’t think O’s GM Andy MacPhail is done yet as he aims for the off-season trifecta. I’m hearing that at least one more Cubbie need to be included before the trigger gets pulled on this one. Who you might ask? The whole farm system is fair game if you look at Andy’s appetite this off-season. I would be very surprised if he stops at just one more, so this could get interesting in the next few days.

That's rumor steeped in innuendo, and speaking for myself, I'll be glad when the season starts and I can get my fix from actual baseball games.

So Stark's telling me our rotation is probably going to look like this next year:

1. Trax

2. Guthrie

3. Loewen

4. Dcab

5. Lohse

hold up, really?

Based on this rotation, the O's should also try and get Marquuis in the Roberts trade. He's 29, and has won 10 or more games in each of the last 4 yrs. If Payton is included in the trade, thats 20M (Roberts 15M for 2 yrs, and Payton 5M for 1 yr) the Orioles unload, which is still greater than the 16+ for 2 rs from Marquis and the 1-2M for Cedeno/Gallagher/whomever.

I know Mark Loretta's name has been thrown around as a possible utitility/IF guy, but this blog by Stark also mentions that the Giants are shopping Ray Durham. According to mlbtraderumors...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/03/starks-latest-d.html

He maybe had for a smaller price than Loretta and he would be a valuable switch hitter off the bench or an everyday 2B IF Brian is dealt.

Aside from an off-year last year he's had a nice career and could possibly bounce back this year.

Ray Durham was good 10 years ago. He might be a nice personality to have in the clubhouse for the young guys, but he won't do us any real good as a baseball team. Loretta is decent, still a bit old though. Its a tough call, but thats what AM gets paid the big bucks for.

Anyone who plays Yahoo fantasy baseball,and owns Adam Loewen,has probably seen this under his "news and notes" tab.

"Mar 10 Spencer Fordin, of MLB.com, reports Baltimore Orioles SP Adam Loewen is a favorite to start on opening day. The team could make a decision on their opening day starter as early as Wednesday, March 12."

I tried to find he corresponding article,but had no luck...

There seems to be nothing but speculation thus far,so I'm not about to get all worked up over this Trax/OD blurb.

But it seems to me,since we're in rebuild mode and going with youth here(finally),what better way to send that message,then to give the ball to one of the kids on OD.

Glad to see Payton in the likely package.

Shedding his salary is worth a prospect or two at least, IMO.

I'm pretty sure that if the Cubs have to eat Payton's salary, the O's are likely to get prolly a lesser prospect, ie not in the Top 15, perhaps in the Top 20.

If the O's pick up some of the contract or take Jason Marquis, then it's likely the O's get someone rnaked low Top 10 to mid Top 15.

STRIKE TWO -- Bird Land: An official of one club that has been in touch with the Orioles and Cubs predicts the Orioles will trade Brian Roberts to Wrigleyville in the third week of March. The most likely package continues to be Roberts and Jay Payton for Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and at least one more prospect.

The Orioles also have been telling clubs they'll add at least one more veteran starting pitcher before Opening Day. Translation: Kyle Lohse, if they can keep Scott Boras' asking price within reason.

At the moment, the Orioles are planning on Steve Trachsel as their Opening Day starter, just to take the heat off their younger pitchers. Which leads us to this question: What's the last team to start a free agent who signed a minor-league contract on Opening Day? If you can think of one, let us know, at uselessinfodept@yahoo.com.

5 or 6 (assuming it's only 2 more and not more) man deal.

5 man (Gallagher / Cedeno / Ceda)?

6 man (Gallagher / Cedeno / Patterson / Veal)?

Either one of these would be fine IMO - time to move on (again).

Wow, Trax on opening day...really?

Guys you really need Gallagher,I love this kid,Cubs have way of a log jam with pitchers,this kid will be your future opening day starter,no kidding I think he could be your 2009 opening day starter,he has that kind of stuff.,BRob deal will get done 3rd week of this month.BRob and Payton for Gallagher,Cedeno and Pie.

Archived