Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to the Roberts part of this thread, I for one wonder if anyone is also puzzled why the Cubs have to continually "scout" Roberts in spring training games? Its not like he is a prospect he's an established major leaguer and former All-star? Does this not seem strange to anyone other than me?

I don't know what they're doing. One possibility is that they're thinking about paying whatever AM is asking for, so they're looking at whoever else they might want as the small-change part of the deal.

I don't know what they're doing. One possibility is that they're thinking about paying whatever AM is asking for, so they're looking at whoever else they might want as the small-change part of the deal.

This is logical to me.

The Cubs are selling the Os FO on their prospects.

We are telling the Cubs that BRob is better than the value assigned by the Cubs. As can be seen from the stats thrown around, BRob's stats have fluctuated a good bit over the past three years. Convincing the Cubs that he is healthy and productive and will produce like last last year is very important, IMO.

Back to the Roberts part of this thread, I for one wonder if anyone is also puzzled why the Cubs have to continually "scout" Roberts in spring training games? Its not like he is a prospect he's an established major leaguer and former All-star? Does this not seem strange to anyone other than me?

They want to see how many unproductive walks productive outs he makes. :D

If you count the days to opening day from today Wed. 3/12 by going 1-2-3-4-5-, 1-2-3-4-5- Gutherie lines up to pitch since he's pitching today

Not exactly. Opening Day is March 31. If Guthrie started every five days starting with today, he'd next pitch on the 18th (since the O's don't play on the 17th), then the 23rd, then the 28th, then April 2nd, which is the Orioles' second regular-season game.

This is logical to me.

The Cubs are selling the Os FO on their prospects.

We are telling the Cubs that BRob is better than the value assigned by the Cubs. As can be seen from the stats thrown around, BRob's stats have fluctuated a good bit over the past three years. Convincing the Cubs that he is healthy and productive and will produce like last last year is very important, IMO.

I think you have it right here. They were there the first two games of the spring and Roberts stole two bases in each game. Last I checked he had 5 for the spring and four in those two games. Sounds a lot like a showcase to me.

Of course the scouts are also looking at pitchers and catchers in early spring training too and would factor that in.

Not exactly. Opening Day is March 31. If Guthrie started every five days starting with today, he'd next pitch on the 18th (since the O's don't play on the 17th), then the 23rd, then the 28th, then April 2nd, which is the Orioles' second regular-season game.

Way to be a buzz kill, ugh. ;)

I think you have it right here. They were there the first two games of the spring and Roberts stole two bases in each game. Last I checked he had 5 for the spring and four in those two games. Sounds a lot like a showcase to me.

Of course the scouts are also looking at pitchers and catchers in early spring training too and would factor that in.

The guy stole 50 bases last year and was only caught 7 times. He does not need to prove to the Cubs or anyone else that he's capable of stealing bases. He has 7 steals so far and seems to be having a lot of fun smirking and rolling his eyes at reporters who ask if he's showcasing himself to potential trade partners.

The guy stole 50 bases last year and was only caught 7 times. He does not need to prove to the Cubs or anyone else that he's capable of stealing bases. He has 7 steals so far and seems to be having a lot of fun smirking and rolling his eyes at reporters who ask if he's showcasing himself to potential trade partners.
Totally agree with you.The Cubs scouts are there probably to monitor his health.They know what Brian can do.

I am well aware of the stats.

Players do not showcase themselves. Teams showcase players.

Could it be the O's just trying to whet Hendry's scouts appetite?

Archived