Stark:Roberts deal could be done next week

goodol23

Alright, explain the agenda/conspiracy for saying it was Grimlsey instead of Larry Bigbie?

The Watergate Hotel has wireless internet, by the way...it's pretty cool here.

He called Roberts a liar for "denying" it when Grimsley "said he used once." Even if the story had been accurate, it was reported that Grimsley called him "an anabolic steroid user" in 2006, not that he had experimented in 2003 (when he didn't know Grimsley). Roberts never said he had never used steroids, just that the alleged allegation from Grimsley was "ridiculous." It was. In fact, it was completely made up. When Larry Bigbie made an accurate accusation, he fessed up within a few days.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He called Roberts a liar for "denying" it when Grimsley "said he used once." Even if the story had been accurate, it was reported that Grimsley called him "an anabolic steroid user" in 2006, not that he had experimented in 2003 (when he didn't know Grimsley). Roberts never said he had never used steroids, just that the alleged allegation from Grimsley was "ridiculous." It was. In fact, it was completely made up. When Larry Bigbie made an accurate accusation, he fessed up within a few days.

Alright, I'll ask again.

How does Mariotti's mishap harm darling Brian?

You may look at it as some big deal, I look at it as 2003, 2006, Grimsley, Bigbie, whatever...Roberts used. You may believe he tried it once, I'm not so sure if I buy that or not. Splitting hairs over who said what and when doesn't take away from the fact that Roberts was named...I don't think you've quite gotten over it considering you're the one harping on it at any given opportunity.

So I'll ask again...How does Mariotti's mishap harm darling Brian? In the "burning at the stake" thread over in the MLB forum, you agreed with me that the public doesn't care who was named in the Mitchell report.

So even if Mariotti was accidentaly wrong or in some way trying to smear Roberts, as I think you suspect, you've already agreed with me that no one cares.

Moose, most people don't care, but the likes of Jay Mariotti are trying to whip them back into a frenzy to help themselves sell more papers, and in his case, he's not sticking to the facts of the matter. I don't approve of that or Jay Mariotti in general. :002_stongue:

Moose, most people don't care, but the likes of Jay Mariotti are trying to whip them back into a frenzy to help themselves sell more papers, and in his case, he's not sticking to the facts of the matter. I don't approve of that or Jay Mariotti in general. :002_stongue:

Yeah, but if most people don't care, how's that little snippet going to whip anyone back into a frenzy?

The fact is that most people who aren't in the media don't CARE that much about who used steroids, especially Brian Roberts, when the new poster boy is someone as storied as Roger Clemens.

This whole steroids thing is way overblown. Roberts is a good second baseman and one of the better leadoff guys in the American League. He's basically our only realistic remaining trade chip and if Hendry wants a legitimate leadoff guy at the top of his lineup, he'll do what he has to do to get Roberts.

I'm pretty sure this trade will happen before the All Star Break, once Hendry realizes that he needs an offensive catalyst. That might happen next week or in May, but it'll happen eventually... and MacPhail will get a good return.

I don't mean to get in the way of another BBA picking of nits and mole hill mountains, but correct me if I'm wrong...wouldn't it be the editors job to catch factual errors before it goes to print?

Most major papers used to employ actual fact-checkers...there were two at a paper where I worked in the 90's. I think with budget cuts and the perceived need to get the story out as fast as possible to compete with tv, radio and the interwebs, fact-checking has become a bit passe. Easier and cheaper to print a retraction later.

As for the Roberts saga, I think I've learned my lesson this off-season -- don't hold your breath, your head will asplode.

IMO, BRob is the diff between the Cubs being a 12-Player Team and a 13-Player Team which, according the my 15-Player Team theory, is the diff between a marginal LDS team and one that has a fair shot at the WS. While the writer never heard of the 15-Player Team theory, he reached the exact same conclusion:

Basically, he represents the distinct difference between the Cubs legitimately contending for their first National League championship in 63 years and merely continuing as the fringe playoff team they were last season.

I think Hendry is at the point where he will crack, just as Seattle did in the Bedard trade...

This is shaping up the same as the Bedard trade in my mind, McPhail is calm, cool, and collected and the Cubs will scramble at the end and fold like a deck of cards.

I think Hendry is at the point where he will crack, just as Seattle did in the Bedard trade...

This is shaping up the same as the Bedard trade in my mind, McPhail is calm, cool, and collected and the Cubs will scramble at the end and fold like a deck of cards.

My point the whole time, that's why the O's are "content".

But according to Cubs fans Derosa is next coming of Ryne Sandberg. Or maybe Theriot is Rickey Henderson. I don't know.

My point the whole time, that's why the O's are "content".

But according to Cubs fans Derosa is next coming of Ryne Sandberg. Or maybe Theriot is Rickey Henderson. I don't know.

It's not a matter of Hendry folding the tent.It's a matter of AM scouting the suspects he needs.Look minor league games start today so this trade should move rather quickly now.

It's not a matter of Hendry folding the tent.It's a matter of AM scouting the suspects he needs.Look minor league games start today so this trade should move rather quickly now.

I don't know about that. AM has some leverage here and the Cubs probably want to get this done before the season starts.

I don't know why seeing a week or less of minor league games is going to make the difference in how much we like a prospect.

IMO, BRob is the diff between the Cubs being a 12-Player Team and a 13-Player Team which, according the my 15-Player Team theory, is the diff between a marginal LDS team and one that has a fair shot at the WS. While the writer never heard of the 15-Player Team theory, he reached the exact same conclusion:

If the Cubs are an LDS team why aren't they trying to get Jeremy Guthrie from us? ;)

I don't know about that. AM has some leverage here and the Cubs probably want to get this done before the season starts.

I don't know why seeing a week or less of minor league games is going to make the difference in how much we like a prospect.

Why do you think he has his scouts in Mesa.Don't you think he would like to see these minor leaguers in games before making a decision.Like AM always says he is doing his do diligence so I take him at his word that's all.

Archived