Who are these guys? Where did they come from?

Frobby

Just thought I'd identify some of the starting pitchers we are seeing in the minors.

Michael Bowden (3 starts for Norfolk): age 28, was a 1st round comp pick for the Red Sox back in 2005. He has a 4.51 ERA in 133 innings in the majors (almost exclusively in relief), and a 3.08 ERA in 779 MiL innings (about half as a starter).

Elih Villanueva (2 starts for Norfolk, 7 for Bowie): age 28, was a 27th round pick for the Marlins in 2008. He got into one major league game for the Marlins in 2011, allowing 8 runs in 3 innings. As a minor leaguer, he has a 3.68 ERA in 914 innings, mostly as a starter.

Terry Doyle (2 starts for Bowie): age 29, was a 37th round pick of the White Sox in 2008. He has never reached the majors, and has a 3.49 ERA in the minors, mostly as a starter.

Jarrett Miller (8 starts for Frederick, 1 for Bowie): age 25, was a 21st round pick of the Braves in 2011. This is his third year in the Carolina League. MiL ERA of 3.93, mostly as a starter.

Jhonathan Ramos (5 starts for Frederick, 1 for Bowie): age 25, was signed as an international free agent by the Pirates before the 2007 season. He has a 3.32 ERA in the minors, mostly in relief.

Just thought I'd identify some of the starting pitchers we are seeing in the minors.

Michael Bowden (3 starts for Norfolk): age 28, was a 1st round comp pick for the Red Sox back in 2005. He has a 4.51 ERA in 133 innings in the majors (almost exclusively in relief), and a 3.08 ERA in 779 MiL innings (about half as a starter).

Elih Villanueva (2 starts for Norfolk, 7 for Bowie): age 28, was a 27th round pick for the Marlins in 2008. He got into one major league game for the Marlins in 2011, allowing 8 runs in 3 innings. As a minor leaguer, he has a 3.68 ERA in 914 innings, mostly as a starter.

Terry Doyle (2 starts for Bowie): age 29, was a 37th round pick of the White Sox in 2008. He has never reached the majors, and has a 3.49 ERA in the minors, mostly as a starter.

Jarrett Miller (8 starts for Frederick, 1 for Bowie): age 25, was a 21st round pick of the Braves in 2011. This is his third year in the Carolina League. MiL ERA of 3.93, mostly as a starter.

Jhonathan Ramos (5 starts for Frederick, 1 for Bowie): age 25, was signed as an international free agent by the Pirates before the 2007 season. He has a 3.32 ERA in the minors, mostly in relief.

Duq and Fred Ferreira's version of "catching lightning in a bottle"? :scratchchinhmm:

Duq and Fred Ferreira's version of "catching lightning in a bottle"? :scratchchinhmm:

More like Dan's idea of "minor league filler." But Bowden strikes me as a useful guy to have around on a MiL deal who could potentially get called up for a stint if we were shorthanded in the bullpen.

More like Dan's idea of "minor league filler." But Bowden strikes me as a useful guy to have around on a MiL deal who could potentially get called up for a stint if we were shorthanded in the bullpen.

DD traded for Bowden on Opening Day, I believe from Reds or Cube AAA.

Bowden - I believe he played in japan last year. Crazysilver is right about the trade. Believe we got him for cash.

Villanueva - minor league free agent from the marlins system.

Doyle- also a minor league free agent signee, most recently with the Braves organization. Has started as of late with the injuries to Bundy and Kline. Spent the last three years in AAA.

Miller - free agent from the Braves also. Stalled out with them at the A+ level.

Ramos - An under the radar signing late in the offseason. Most recently with Pittsburgh, the Venezuelan hurler has done well in two previous stints at AA.

Archived