Dan Duquette's Series of Unfortunate Events

CanadianOriole

Too bad we didn't let TOR have Dan. He's such a screw up.

Wrong narrative. DD has been doing this intentionally because he's going to be Toronto's President/GM any time now and he doesn't want to do anything to strengthen a soon-to-be division rival.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What post season games, did Andy's team win again?

None while he was here. But a lot of guys he acquired in trades were key cogs of the Orioles' postseason teams in 2012 and 2014 -- namely Jones, Tillman, and Hardy.

MacPhail wasn't a very good GM overall, but he unquestionably made more impactful trades for the Orioles than Duquette has.

I hope your right. Bu I don't understand the "they're better than they're playing" logic. I know you didn't say that, but I've heard the announcers saying it. Jones is playing pretty much as he does. They we're relying on guys to repeat years that history says they won't. It was a gamble that hasn't paid off yet.

Well, without going through the stats, I'd say, Young/De Aza/Pearce/Snider have either undperformed and/or have more potential that they have shown so far. Hardy and E Cabrera as well. I think Schoop and Wieters should help, Flaherty in the interim now at second.

I'm also optimistic about the pitching and defense stabilizing from a shaky start.

Now, I understand we have some guys probably overperforming (i.e Paredes/Jones/Joseph) and I have no idea what Davis may do.

Still, I feel as I did when the season started right now, the team can be competitive and even win the division. That said, it all going south and finishing last in the division wouldn't shock me either.

Like many others, I'm very comfortable with DD at the helm. That said, I'd probably have less stomach for trading anymore good pitching from our farm system this year.

You completely missed my point. Like, if my point is in Baltimore, you were aiming for Russia.

We were spoiled by the fact that MacPhail didn't make a single bad trade when he was here that I can think of, and also made a bunch of ridiculously good ones. We got used to it and held that as the standard, when in reality it was unrealistic to expect that to continue.

The trade of Miggy to Houston for Luke Scott and Troy Patton, might be a wash.

Andy did sign Roberts for $40 million, which some believe was a huge mistake.

My OP was a mistake I guess despite my use of "spectacular bad luck", "sample... is very low" and the suggestion the DD is literally cursed - the fact that I'm not criticizing DD didn't come through. All of these moves could make sense on their own. I was in favor of at least 8 of the 11. My point was to muse "Isn't it kind of remarkable how these have all worked out so far?". It's like our GM is regressing to the mean somehow. It's like he's a hitter who made 11 straight warning track outs. Good process and approach - crazy results.

I hear ya, brother. Some didn't get my toilet humor, either. Carry on.

Wrong narrative. DD has been doing this intentionally because he's going to be Toronto's President/GM any time now and he doesn't want to do anything to strengthen a soon-to-be division rival.
That's why we should have just let him go before he started all this sabatage.

My OP was a mistake I guess despite my use of "spectacular bad luck", "sample... is very low" and the suggestion the DD is literally cursed - the fact that I'm not criticizing DD didn't come through. All of these moves could make sense on their own. I was in favor of at least 8 of the 11. My point was to muse "Isn't it kind of remarkable how these have all worked out so far?". It's like our GM is regressing to the mean somehow. It's like he's a hitter who made 11 straight warning track outs. Good process and approach - crazy results.

But I would even dispute your claim that the results are negative. For at least 1 through 7 there were positive results that you conveniently left out. Miller's performance in the playoffs, Hardy's defense, lack of bad contracts, all of Nick's poor stats aside from OBP. It was a very one-sided post.

What post season games, did Andy's team win again?

His trading acumen was his whole reputation along with a professional face. His lack of depth and ability to sign free agents was among the worst I have seen.

But I said this in another thread: paying AM $5Million a year to be a consultant to trade for us would be well worth every penny. Not being funny there.

Ha ha...some? :)

My favorite signing in the history of the Orioles: Garrett Atkins. Wow. He was terrible. If you look up terrible FA signing, G Atkins face.

Ha ha...some? :)

My favorite signing in the history of the Orioles: Garrett Atkins. Wow. He was terrible. If you look up terrible FA signing, G Atkins face.

Well, hindsight it was bad, but seriously at the time, and the way he played, it seamed good.

As for the worse free agent signing, to me, has to be Albert Belle, a good talent, but head case and bad club house guy. that was huge money in that ERA.

None while he was here. But a lot of guys he acquired in trades were key cogs of the Orioles' postseason teams in 2012 and 2014 -- namely Jones, Tillman, and Hardy.

MacPhail wasn't a very good GM overall, but he unquestionably made more impactful trades for the Orioles than Duquette has.

I would agree with this statement, but with the caveat that he was trading from a different position than DD has ever been in with the Orioles. MacPhail was trading older players for younger prospects and major league ready young players because his major league team were afterthoughts. DD took over once that core was established and has used streams of talent that MacPhail never really tapped. At the end of the day, I really feel like Duquette and MacPhail can't be accurate compared as traders to each other because they were coming from the exact opposite sides of trading.

Saying that, to get a difference maker like Miller takes giving up a guy like ERod. Sure it was a gamble, but with Wright and Wilson pitching effectively already in the big leagues this year and with Davies still in the wings, I think he knew he had some depth at SP.

Well, hindsight it was bad, but seriously at the time, and the way he played, it seamed good.

As for the worse free agent signing, to me, has to be Albert Belle, a good talent, but head case and bad club house guy. that was huge money in that ERA.

Garrett Atkins was signed prior to the 2010 season. He was coming off a 64 OPS+ season in Colorado (399 PA). Amusingly, dear ol' Andy referred to the signing as a "swing for the fences" in an interview sometime after Atkins was released after a mere 152 PA.

What happened was unfortunate, but Albert Belle's 1999 season gave the Orioles full value for the money he was paid. No way of predicting the injury that would end his career.

It's easy to trade well with a losing team. It's hard to buy an impact piece when you need one.

Many might say the Markakis contract was a poor value as well.

Archived