HHP: The Misadventures Of A Staff Ace

Il BuonO

According to pitch f/x, Tillman's fastball averaged 94.6 and topped out at 97.1. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?month=5&day=31&year=2015&game=gid_2015_05_31_tbamlb_balmlb_1%2F&pitchSel=501957&prevGame=gid_2015_05_31_tbamlb_balmlb_1%2F&prevDate=531&league=mlb

I only saw the 4th and 5th innings, but I thought Tillman had plenty of heat. The pitch he threw to Souza was in a horrible location.

....and 93. At that mph down the heart of the plate is asking for trouble.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This oversimplifies the situation. Tillman pitches effectively up in the zone quite a bit. He did it yesterday with success on more than one of his strike outs if you watched closely. He gets into trouble when he is behind and throws his FB center cut as he did with Sosa or Souza, however Gary is pronouncing it today.

Yes, he has to pitch down in the zone but not exclusively.

Yep. I think he has been inconsistent with is off speed stuff which has contributed to him getting behind often. His velocity looks OK, but I wonder if the movement is the same? When Tillman is on, hitters never seem to be able to center that high fastball even if they make contact.

Heard Ross Grimsley on the radio tonight, he seems to think it is all mechanical.

Heard the same driving home from work. He said Tillman is "twisting off the mound" to the 1B side and as a result everything is up.

The game against the Rays.Tillman looked like he was pitching around Franklin,a .079 hitter to get to Wilson. I know Wilson is only a .180 hitter and I guess righty against righty. I think you would be a little more aggressive against Franklin. Wilson got the hit down the right field line and drove in a run. I also noticed the Rays hit a lot of balls down the right field line and Delmon was shading over towards center. Not sure if the Rays were trying to hit it down the line or Tillman was pitching against how the defense was set up.

In the (few) games that I've gotten to see this year, Delmon always seems to be shading towards center and balls often seem to be dropping in to his left (that he is unable to get to). Isn't Adam in center the guy that we should be keying off? Should Delmon be shading a bit toward the line in general? Even when Lough is in center, he can make up a lot of ground in that direction.

Thanks for pointing out this example grimed1, because I've wanted to make that point many times so far.

I thought that Wayne Kirby did an excellent job of positioning our outfielders last year (it is Kirby that does that, right?). (But) I'm left wondering a lot of times this year why Delmon seems to play so far off the line.

In the (few) games that I've gotten to see this year, Delmon always seems to be shading towards center and balls often seem to be dropping in to his left (that he is unable to get to). Isn't Adam in center the guy that we should be keying off? Should Delmon be shading a bit toward the line in general? Even when Lough is in center, he can make up a lot of ground in that direction.

Thanks for pointing out this example grimed1, because I've wanted to make that point many times so far.

I thought that Wayne Kirby did an excellent job of positioning our outfielders last year (it is Kirby that does that, right?). (But) I'm left wondering a lot of times this year why Delmon seems to play so far off the line.

The Orioles like to play the gaps in the OF. It wasn't just because Markakis was slow. I asked the same thing you basically did, Jones covers more of the gaps, especially in RCF if Lough is in LF. Why the heck play your RF over as well, with both gaps covered by two fast guys who are above average defensively? Doesn't it make more sense to have one guy at least more straight away?

Heard Ross Grimsley on the radio tonight, he seems to think it is all mechanical.
Heard the same driving home from work. He said Tillman is "twisting off the mound" to the 1B side and as a result everything is up.

Chris has always fallen off to the 1B side so it's a fine line. If he flies open with that front shoulder too soon he's going to have problems. As has been stated, he can pitch effectively up in the zone. It's never caused him to over rotate before but it is worth considering.

I just looked up some numbers I thought some might find interesting. It seemed like to me the Orioles play well when Tillman pitches and the numbers back me up.

From 2012-2014 the Orioles record in Tillman starts is 55-27

2015 the Orioles record is 3-7

Pretty safe to say that Tillman has been a huge part of our success the last 3 seasons and he will need to step up this year if we have any hope.

I just looked up some numbers I thought some might find interesting. It seemed like to me the Orioles play well when Tillman pitches and the numbers back me up.

From 2012-2014 the Orioles record in Tillman starts is 55-27

2015 the Orioles record is 3-7

Pretty safe to say that Tillman has been a huge part of our success the last 3 seasons and he will need to step up this year if we have any hope.

Well, either he or Norris had better hurry up or some here are going to start losing their minds.

Error free defense does help keep the misadventures to a minimum. Wieters said he had em all working today and of course his FB plays better when both his main off speed pitches are thrown over for strikes.

I'm sure someone will find a way to tear him down though. Let me think on what it will be. Hmm....

Error free defense does help keep the misadventures to a minimum. Wieters said he had em all working today and of course his FB plays better when both his main off speed pitches are thrown over for strikes.

I'm sure someone will find a way to tear him down though. Let me think on what it will be. Hmm....

It's easier to pitch when you never have to shake off your catcher.

It's easier to pitch when you never have to shake off your catcher.

Tillman has never been big on that anyway. When I caught way back when and now that I teach them I tell my guys not to be ticked if a guy shakes you off. Otoh, I tell the pitchers not to jerk around the catchers. It's okay to shake a catcher off as long as you know what your plan is out there.

Otherwise, I give them a well worn copy of Bull Durham and point them to one of my favorite scenes.

Tillman has never been big on that anyway. When I caught way back when and now that I teach them I tell my guys not to be ticked if a guy shakes you off. Otoh, I tell the pitchers not to jerk around the catchers. It's okay to shake a catcher off as long as you know what your plan is out there.

Otherwise, I give them a well worn copy of Bull Durham and point them to one of my favorite scenes.

It's the shower scene right?

Good outing last night. Good enough anyway. I'll take that from Tillman every time out and take my chances. 5 singles and a double and no gopher balls. Maybe he's turning the corner. One fewer walk there and it's a very good outing.

With good Tillman and good Wieters out there we look like contenders again. How about that?

Good outing last night. Good enough anyway. I'll take that from Tillman every time out and take my chances. 5 singles and a double and no gopher balls. Maybe he's turning the corner. One fewer walk there and it's a very good outing.

With good Tillman and good Wieters out there we look like contenders again. How about that?

I would say good enough. Still had a bunch of balls hit hard that could have caused more damage. AJ (and the wind) saved a run at least chasing down a ball that was absolutely crushed. Palmer was ragging on him pretty much the whole time I was watching for going with the curve too much and not trusting his FB, and Palmer could not hide his rage at the leadoff walk right after we had scored.

Archived