Who has exceeded or fallen short of expectations so far?

Frobby

Here's how I see it:

Exceeded expectations:

Jimmy Paredes

Caleb Joseph

Ubaldo Jimenez

Fallen short of expectations:

Chris Tillman

Bud Norris

Steve Pearce

Alejandro De Aza

I think everyone else is either in the general ballpark of what I expected, or hasn't played enough for me to be ready to say that they are exceeding or falling short of what I expected. This time of year, you have to be like 100+ OPS points above or below what's expected, or 1.50 runs per game above or below expected ERA, for me to consider it anything but a small-sample blip, and I'm not ready to weigh in on Schoop, Hardy or even Flaherty.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add to your list:

Exceeded:

Manny Machado. I did not know what to expect but he has been outstanding after a rough start defensively, and he is on pace for a career high OBP and SLG. Looks like a more confident hitter. Already exceeded career high in SB as a bonus.

Mike Wright. Only three starts but they were good ones.

Fallen short:

Tommy Hunter has been a bit worse than I expected, although not by as much as the other guys.

Adding to your list.

Exceeded: Norfolk players as a whole. Their contribution has been huge.

Fallen short: Hunter. Cabrera. Snider. Hardy.

Hunter is just not reliable at all. Snider is still sitting on 1 homer. Cabrera has a pitchers OPS.

A little tough on Hardy. He was the one guy we kept and he just hasn't been healthy all season. Diminished range. Botching double plays. Not taking walks and not Hitting for average. Power is so-so.

Here's how I see it:

Exceeded expectations:

Jimmy Paredes

Caleb Joseph

Ubaldo Jimenez

Chris Tillman

Bud Norris

Steve Pearce

Alejandro De Aza

I think everyone else is either in the general ballpark of what I expected, or hasn't played enough for me to be ready to say that they are exceeding or falling short of what I expected. This time of year, you have to be like 100+ OPS points above or below what's expected, or 1.50 runs per game above or below expected ERA, for me to consider it anything but a small-sample blip, and I'm not ready to weigh in on Schoop, Hardy or even Flaherty.

I agree with your list, but I don't think it's too soon to put Hardy and Cabrera on the disappointment list. Collectively our shortstops are hitting and fielding well below expectations and well below what a playoff team needs. It's not too late for Hardy to get it going, but you can say that about everyone on the disappointment list (except for De Aza--too late for him!)

I agree with your list, but I don't think it's too soon to put Hardy and Cabrera on the disappointment list. Collectively our shortstops are hitting and fielding well below expectations and well below what a playoff team needs. It's not too late for Hardy to get it going, but you can say that about everyone on the disappointment list (except for De Aza--too late for him!)

When it comes to Hardy, I think his May 2015 was similar to Manny's May 2014 -- he got off to a late start due to his injury and is still scraping off some rust. If he doesn't pick it up in June I'd add him to the disappointment list then.

Here's how I see it:

Exceeded expectations:

Jimmy Paredes

Caleb Joseph

Ubaldo Jimenez

Chris Tillman

Bud Norris

Steve Pearce

Alejandro De Aza

Add Davis to the short list & Hardy is NOT far behind

I put Wright on the my GOOD list there NO way I expected the starts he's produced.

Add Davis to the short list & Hardy is NOT far behind

I put Wright on the my GOOD list there NO way I expected the starts he's produced.

Davis has an .814 OPS and is on pace for 40 HR and 99 RBI. I don't enjoy the strikeouts and the cold streaks, but those come with the territory if Davis is on your team.

Exceeded expectations

Ubaldo (though I had a feeling that he would improve)

Caleb Joseph

Mike Wright

Jimmy Paredes (even with his recent slump; he'll pull out of it)

Chaz Roe

Fallen Short of Expectations

Chris Tillman

Bud Norris

Steve Pearce (though he might be pulling out of his funk)

Chris Davis (same comment as above)

Travis Snider

Davis has an .814 OPS and is on pace for 40 HR and 99 RBI. I don't enjoy the strikeouts and the cold streaks, but those come with the territory if Davis is on your team.

Chris Davis' OPS is up 110 points from last year and has the second highest OPS+ since his rookie year. Clearly a massive disappointment.

Archived