A new twist to the Mock Draft...

... okay, let's all assume that Alvarez, Beckham and Smoak are the first three chosen in the Draft. I realize there is a chance one may fall... but for fun, let's assume they are all gone.

So, let's do this... Give who you think the O's will take (A), and then who you would take (B) if you were making the call.

A. Matusz

B. Hosmer (Although Harold Martinez may jump into the equation)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A. Matusz. I don't think Jordan would pass on him without Smoak there.

B. I'd probably go with Hosmer unless Angelos says you only have so much money for draft and IFAs. Then I'd have to weigh everything. For example is Matusz and say Yorman Rodriguez or someone like SS Casey Kelly in the second round worth more to me than Hosmer and a lesser second rounder or IFA?

If you look at the organizational needs pitching is ranked in the top 3, so we have drafted and acquired a nice stable of quality arms. So while Matusz is a very good pitcher, he is not a sure fire # 1 ace (he projects more as a 2 or a 3).

We are certainly lacking in power prospects and middle infielders. So while my top 3 are Smoak, Alvarez, and Beckham. If for some reason all 3 are gone, I'd say that we have to look very seriously at Hosmer. Again it all goes back to how Jordan ranks these guys. Any way we look at it, were going to get a quality prospect.

So while Matusz is a very good pitcher, he is not a sure fire # 1 ace (he projects more as a 2 or a 3).

I think Matusz would be the O's number one pitching prospect by a huge margin. I can't even think who'd be second... I guess Tillman. No one I'm aware of is even all that close. Unless Cabrera and Liz start commanding their pitches.

I think Matusz would be the O's number one pitching prospect by a huge margin. I can't even think who'd be second... I guess Tillman. No one I'm aware of is even all that close. Unless Cabrera and Liz start commanding their pitches.

Do you really think there is that much of a difference between Tillman and Matusz? The reason I ask is because Tillman was getting great reviews from spring training this year and is very well thought of by the organization.

I'd go with Matusz anyway.

2. Brian Matusz {College LHSP} (21). Matusz (pronounced MAT-is) is one of those pitchers that just has ML'er written all over him. The University of San Diego junior stands 6' 4 and weighs in at 195 lbs. He employs a sweet combination of crafty lefty with a low nineties fastball and consistantly throws three quality pitches for strikes. He will pitch from 87-92 and can hit 94 when necessary, but it's his assortment of high-grade secondary stuff that has scouts excited about his future. His curve and change are both outstanding, and his athleticism and easy arm action plants him squarely in line to be a high first-round selection.

Because he doesn't necessarily profile as a true #1 ace, Matusz doesn't get the drools from the scouts as last year's #1 David Price had, but in time Matusz may prove to be just as good.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 88

I'm basing my opinion on what I read from Greg (above) and what I've read in Baseball America. He's a great prospect, I'm not saying that. Just saying he doesn't project as a #1 starter.

Matusz - he's a college player which means he's more polished and more likely to reach his potential. Plus, this would allow us to trade some other arms for some hitting.

In a perfect world, we would draft Alvarez or Smoak to coincide with Weiter's arrival to the bigs.

No matter who we get, Smoak, Alvarez, Matusz, Beckham, Hosmer we should be getting a really good prospect. And we should probably have another top 5 pick the next year as well.

I hope we spend some good money after our 1st pick as well to pick up some more top shelf talent that may fall due to demands. It should be interesting to see what Jordan can do this year with a full compliment of picks.

I hope we spend some good money after our 1st pick as well to pick up some more top shelf talent that may fall due to demands. It should be interesting to see what Jordan can do this year with a full compliment of picks.

Well, our second round pick is within the top 50 or so.

I'm sure we'll spend $ above slot somewhere in the draft, the questions to me is how much and how often. Will we go $500k above slot for two or three guys like the NYY and BoSox? That would be nice.

Nice question, Greg. I'll go Hosmer/Hosmer.

I think Hosmer will move quickly in the minors. I doubt Smoak beats him by more than two years.

A lefty that throws low 90s and has two plus secondary pitches projects as a number 1 starter.

Yes I think he's that much better than Tillman. If Tillman were as good as Matusz, he wouldn't have been traded for Bedard. Pitchers with three plus pitches are hard to find.

2. Brian Matusz {College LHSP} (21). Matusz (pronounced MAT-is) is one of those pitchers that just has ML'er written all over him. The University of San Diego junior stands 6' 4 and weighs in at 195 lbs. He employs a sweet combination of crafty lefty with a low nineties fastball and consistantly throws three quality pitches for strikes. He will pitch from 87-92 and can hit 94 when necessary, but it's his assortment of high-grade secondary stuff that has scouts excited about his future. His curve and change are both outstanding, and his athleticism and easy arm action plants him squarely in line to be a high first-round selection.

Because he doesn't necessarily profile as a true #1 ace, Matusz doesn't get the drools from the scouts as last year's #1 David Price had, but in time Matusz may prove to be just as good.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 88

I'm basing my opinion on what I read from Greg (above) and what I've read in Baseball America. He's a great prospect, I'm not saying that. Just saying he doesn't project as a #1 starter.

Great question. I would say Hosmer but I really will put my trust in Jordan and whatever he chooses will be fine with me. Hopefully, one of the other three will be there.

I know we're getting a topshelf player at 4. I'd like to hear about some players we should look at in later rounds.

Does Matusz seem a lot like Loewen? Not sure I would take Loewen at #4.

Is Crow out of the equation?

I want a bat but am scared of another high schooler after Rowell and Snyder.

Just give me Alvarez or Smoak, please.

Sorry to not answer the question.

Archived