A new twist to the Mock Draft...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does Matusz seem a lot like Loewen? Not sure I would take Loewen at #4.

Is Crow out of the equation?

I want a bat but am scared of another high schooler after Rowell and Snyder.

Just give me Alvarez or Smoak, please.

Sorry to not answer the question.

Loewen was a HS pitcher and far less proven.

I would think Crow would be strongly considered if he's there.

I can understand you being scared. The younger the player, the greater the risk. However, also the greater the upside. It's a tough choice.

Just curious, but what gems in the past has Jordan found in the later rounds? I know Arrietta seems like a steal at this point, but who else is really high on the radar?

For me, a late round steal doesn't have to be a ML star. In the late rounds if you get a guy who projects to even make it to the bigs is a steal. With that in mind I would consider these guys either steals or potential steals.

Chorye Spoone 8th rd

Paco Figueroa 9th

David Hernandez 16th

Miguel Abreu 28th

Chris Vinyard 38th Draft and follow

Brandon Tripp 12th

Tyler Kolodny 16th

John Marrioti 18th

Justin Moore 26th

Kraig Binick 27th

If we look back 5 years from now a lot of these guys will not be viewed as steals. But there also may be a few that may not be viewed as such now but will be then.

Great question....and we agree again Greg.

I think there may be a nudge from above JJ to take a guy like Matusz if Beckham, Alvarez and Smoak are gone. If Snyder and Rowell don't start producing big numbers, I could see PA getting a little down on HS bats. AM likes his young pitching when all else is equal and we don't have many LHSP's in the system that are prospects (Olson, Patton, Britton, ???). Matusz is mentally tough, mechanically sound, has a lights out changeup and very solid CB and he projects to gain more velocity.

For me, I'd take Hosmer. He's the kind of bomber we need to mash in the middle of our lineup in three years. He may be the best bat in our system at this time next year...he's that good by all accounts. He has a great approach and he has significant experience with wood bats. He has pro makeup and he's very mature for his age.

I think there may be a nudge from above JJ to take a guy like Matusz if Beckham, Alvarez and Smoak are gone. If Snyder and Rowell don't start producing big numbers, I could see PA getting a little down on HS bats. AM likes his young pitching when all else is equal and we don't have many LHSP's in the system that are prospects (Olson, Patton, Britton, ???). Matusz is mentally tough, mechanically sound, has a lights out changeup and very solid CB and he projects to gain more velocity.

For me, I'd take Hosmer. He's the kind of bomber we need to mash in the middle of our lineup in three years. He may be the best bat in our system at this time next year...he's that good by all accounts. He has a great approach and he has significant experience with wood bats. He has pro makeup and he's very mature for his age.

Don't forget about Tony Butler :) He's huge (all arms & legs) though and has a somewhat jerky delivery that he has a hard time repeating late in games, resulting in him not always maintaining his plus stuff late in games. Unless he improves in that regard he could move to the bullpen. Maybe he will, just like our own homegrown Radhames Liz :D

If Alvarez, Smoak and Beckham were taken top 3, I'd be very torn with the 4th pick. Hosmer and Matusz are both very tempting. It's times like this that I don't envy Jordan... who am I kidding? I always envy Jordan.

Don't forget about Tony Butler :) He's huge (all arms & legs) though and has a somewhat jerky delivery that he has a hard time repeating late in games, resulting in him not always maintaining his plus stuff late in games. Unless he improves in that regard he could move to the bullpen. Maybe he will, just like our own homegrown Radhames Liz :D

I knew I was forgetting someone....total brainfart. :o

Good post... Matusz will likely be our pick if Alvarez, Smoak and Beckham are gone. And I'll be happy to get him, albeit watching Hosmer's career quite closely and with an envious eye at that.

Harold Martinez is the one player that could jump way up the board into the top few spots if he shows a big year at the plate. Be aware of him. :)

Good post... Matusz will likely be our pick if Alvarez, Smoak and Beckham are gone. And I'll be happy to get him, albeit watching Hosmer's career quite closely and with an envious eye at that.

Harold Martinez is the one player that could jump way up the board into the top few spots if he shows a big year at the plate. Be aware of him. :)

With all of your pitching depth and with all the question marks that surround pitching prospects, I can't see any reason to not take a bat with this pick. Maybe I'm being short-sighted and the we should just take the best available player, but we seriously lack enough impact bats, and Hosmer would help to change that.

With all of your pitching depth and with all the question marks that surround pitching prospects, I can't see any reason to not take a bat with this pick. Maybe I'm being short-sighted and the we should just take the best available player, but we seriously lack enough impact bats, and Hosmer would help to change that.

We agree. However, MacPhail's stated philosophy of acquiring pitching talent as the #1 priority in the building/rebuilding of the franchise leads myself and others to believe it's very possible he'll ask Jordan to go with the top pitcher available. I'll start a new thread about that actually. :)

Another player to watch in Georgia shortstop Gordon Beckham. Showing all five tools very well so far. He's really opening eyes and could go top 5 if he keeps it up. He's the one guy I'm aware of that's really moving up the draft.

Good post Battleship. I checked him and he playing great ball right now. Before the season started where was he projected? around 15? Who are players that because of demands may fall into the second? I know last year was Brackman and i think the year before Porcello.

Another player to watch in Georgia shortstop Gordon Beckham. Showing all five tools very well so far. He's really opening eyes and could go top 5 if he keeps it up. He's the one guy I'm aware of that's really moving up the draft.

Most draft sites have him as a latter first rounder entering the year, but he could move into the top half certainly. I have him at #25 currently, but may have to move him up. :)

A little too early to tell still, players are just starting to rise and fall...like Alvarez and his injury will most likely dull his star appeal JUST a bit going into the draft...

That being said, as of today, the O's take Matusz, and I would take him as well. Hosmer has some potential, but last I read was being viewed in the 9-13 range, a bit of a stretch for #4, no matter what our needs are.

There are 2 scenarios to watch this year....a) who drops through the top 3, and b) who is rated in the mid-late 1st round right now and has a great year before the draft. Between these 2, I think there is no doubt that Matusz is the better chip, and as of now the top pitching prospect in the draft, but who knows how Hosmer will develop between now and June as well.

Fun speculation though Greg, I like it.

Archived