What we should be happy about: Jimenez, Gonzalez and Chen through 10 starts

Frobby

Jimenez: 57.2 IP, 3.12 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

Gonzalez: 62.0 IP, 3.48 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

Chen: 61.2 IP, 3.21 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

No question these three guys have been very good. It's nice to see Gonzo and Chen exceeding 6 IP per start, and Jimenez likely would be exceeding that also except for the game where he got tossed in the 4th inning. (He also got yanked for a pinch hitter in two starts against NL teams.)

I feel that if these three can keep doing what they've been doing, eventually this team will win some games.

Chen made an error against the Red Sox that resulted in all 5 runs he gave up being unearned. "Reached on E1 (Ground Ball to Front of Home)." The Sox then scored 5 runs after that. So his ERA would be around 4. But I'm still very happy with him and the other 2. Without these 3 we would be 10 games out.

No question these three guys have been very good. It's nice to see Gonzo and Chen exceeding 6 IP per start, and Jimenez likely would be exceeding that also except for the game where he got tossed in the 4th inning. (He also got yanked for a pinch hitter in two starts against NL teams.)

I feel that if these three can keep doing what they've been doing, eventually this team will win some games.

Not if the other two keep averaging 5.7 IP/G and giving up 5.7 ER/G

Chen made an error against the Red Sox that resulted in all 5 runs he gave up being unearned. "Reached on E1 (Ground Ball to Front of Home)." The Sox then scored 5 runs after that. So his ERA would be around 4. But I'm still very happy with him and the other 2. Without these 3 we would be 10 games out.

That is a good point about the Chen ERA.

Having 3/5 of the rotation in good shape is more than some teams can say at this point in the season.

Now we see Mike Wright. Three games, 1.40 ERA, 0.828 WHIP. Probably not going to last. But he has the looks to be SP #4. That would just leave one questionmark.

I guess the three plus starters, plus Paredes' hitting for a while there, AJ's hot start and a few other things, illustrate a kind of anti-Murphy's law: no matter how frustratingly bad or mediocre the team's overall performance is, some things have to go right. What worries me is the possibility is that by the time we get some production from the corner OFs, or the relievers pick it up, or something else turns around positively, one or more of these three starters will falter (Chen is my guess) or get hurt.

Just wanted to make sure a positive post was followed by at least two gloomy ones.

That is a good point about the Chen ERA.

Not really. sportsfan8703's recollection of that game is a little faulty. The first unearned run in that game came in the 1st inning, when an overthrow to 2B by the catcher allowed the runner to go to 3B, later scoring on a sac fly. And while Chen's error in the 3rd inning did allow a run to score and Chen walked in a run later that inning, the final two runs scored on a two-out throwing error by Manny. So at most, two of the unearned runs were Chen's fault. That was a very ugly game, played in the rain and ultimately halted after 7 innings.

I think Chen's ERA is a fair reflection of how he's pitched.

I sure hope so.

I always thought runs resulting from pitcher errors should be earned.

Archived