International signings

Ruzious

I am not up on the MLB rules on signing international prospects, but apparently at the beginning of July each year, international players are eligible to sign with MLB teams - and there are limits placed on the bonuses that can be paid. Here is a blurb from MLBtraderumors.com quoting a writer from Baseball America:

Badler also says that he hears the Braves are planning to make a huge push in the international market ? not this coming July 2, but next. Atlanta seems to be hoping to take advantage of the fact that several big-spending teams will be restricted from giving out $300K+ bonuses in that market.

Pardon my ignorance of the rules - What are these restrictions that several of the big-spending teams will have? And would it be wise for the O's to follow the strategy Atlanta is apparently using?

I am not up on the MLB rules on signing international prospects, but apparently at the beginning of July each year, international players are eligible to sign with MLB teams - and there are limits placed on the bonuses that can be paid. Here is a blurb from MLBtraderumors.com quoting a writer from Baseball America:

Pardon my ignorance of the rules - What are these restrictions that several of the big-spending teams will have? And would it be wise for the O's to follow the strategy Atlanta is apparently using?

If you exceed the spending cap then, for the next couple of seasons, you are restricted in your spending.

Instead of following Atlanta's strategy I would rather follow the strategy of those big-spending teams that are being restricted.

Archived