It is time for bold moves

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting to talk myself into a deal for Upton. Think about it. He would be a great for us as a corner OF who can hit and defend. Let's say the plan is to clear the salaries of Wieters, Davis, Chen, etc., and replace them with value pieces. That would enable us to bring it at least one stud free agent. The best argument I have seen against going for Upton is that he will get a QO and cost a comp pick. Well, that does not apply if he is already on our team. It would reduce the cost significantly to trade for him now, plus give us a legit shot at turning this season around. All-in for Upton. Let Bundy become the Padres' problem. Get comp picks for Davis, Wieters, and Chen. We still have Gausman, Wright, and Wilson for 2016 plus Hunter Harvey on the horizon.

I like the all-in option because even if you don't hold a firesale, you still get comp picks for our best players. Win-win.

I am starting to talk myself into a deal for Upton. Think about it. He would be a great for us as a corner OF who can hit and defend. Let's say the plan is to clear the salaries of Wieters, Davis, Chen, etc., and replace them with value pieces. That would enable us to bring it at least one stud free agent. The best argument I have seen against going for Upton is that he will get a QO and cost a comp pick. Well, that does not apply if he is already on our team. It would reduce the cost significantly to trade for him now, plus give us a legit shot at turning this season around. All-in for Upton. Let Bundy become the Padres' problem. Get comp picks for Davis, Wieters, and Chen. We still have Gausman, Wright, and Wilson for 2016 plus Hunter Harvey on the horizon.

I like the all-in option because even if you don't hold a firesale, you still get comp picks for our best players. Win-win.

You want to trade Bundy to rent Upton for four months? I'm fine with making "bold moves" that improve the team for 2016 and beyond, but here are no sure fixes for this team, and trading top prospects for rentals should not be a part of the plan.

You want to trade Bundy to rent Upton for four months? I'm fine with making "bold moves" that improve the team for 2016 and beyond, but here are no sure fixes for this team, and trading top prospects for rentals should not be a part of the plan.

The Padres GM is not about to go into sell mode.

Not yet.

No, I want to rent Upton for four months and give us a massive advantage in signing him since we would be the only team that does not have to pay the extra cost of a comp pick.

If this is DD's plan, then the non-signing of Cruz would make so much more sense. Hmmmm....

No, I want to rent Upton for four months and give us a massive advantage in signing him since we would be the only team that does not have to pay the extra cost of a comp pick.

If this is DD's plan, then the non-signing of Cruz would make so much more sense. Hmmmm....

If we acquire him mid-season, there is no comp pick. They did away with that a couple of years ago.

How often does the team "renting" a soon to be free agent (Premium) for part of a season actually end up signing them long term?

Can someone help me out I can't think of any of the top of my head.

If I were to advocate for bold moves, it would be to get someone else's Bundy, not someone else's problem. I'm actually advocating standing pat and having DD see what he can get as the trade deadline nears. Whether that's by addition or subtraction is yet to be determined.

How often does the team "renting" a soon to be free agent (Premium) for part of a season actually end up signing them long term?

Can someone help me out I can't think of any of the top of my head.

From last year's rental class, Street and Headley come to mind. They may be the exceptions that prove the rule, but I haven't heard of many cases where teams are hoping to extend/resign rental guys, because typically those are teams that are maxing out their payroll. We have a ton of salary coming off the books. We could be in a position to do it, and he sure would be a good fit.

From last year's rental class, Street and Headley come to mind. They may be the exceptions that prove the rule, but I haven't heard of many cases where teams are hoping to extend/resign rental guys, because typically those are teams that are maxing out their payroll. We have a ton of salary coming off the books. We could be in a position to do it, and he sure would be a good fit.

I will give you Street since even thought I'm not big on relievers. Headley however isn't (premium) anymore. I was more talking a blue chip guy like Tex when the Braves traded for him or CC when the Brewers got him. I guess Upton falls in the middle ground between those two groups.

Archived