Does anyone work out while watching Orioles games?

Frobby

I have an elliptical machine gathering dust in an overcrowded room, and I'm thinking of moving it into my den and using it while I watch the Orioles on TV. My theory is that watching the games will distract me from how boring it is to run on an elliptical, and on the other hand, when the games get tense or annoying, the running will excise some of my frustration. Also, I'm always making excuses for why I don't have time to use the elliptical, but of course, I make the time to watch the Orioles almost every game (for at least the last several innings). So, it would be killing two birds with one stone, though of course, I hope I don't kill myself in the process when something awful happens in the game when my pulse rate is already at double its normal rate.

(As an aside, I was using the elliptical once while I was watching a chase scene in one of the Bourne Identity movies where Matt Damon was running away from someone chasing him, and looked down and found I was running about 20% faster than I normally do.)

Has anyone ever tried working out while watching the games? Is it doable, or is the game too distracting and/or does the exercising detract from enjoying the game?

I have an elliptical machine gathering dust in an overcrowded room, and I'm thinking of moving it into my den and using it while I watch the Orioles on TV. My theory is that watching the games will distract me from how boring it is to run on an elliptical, and on the other hand, when the games get tense or annoying, the running will excise some of my frustration. Also, I'm always making excuses for why I don't have time to use the elliptical, but of course, I make the time to watch the Orioles almost every game (for at least the last several innings). So, it would be killing two birds with one stone, though of course, I hope I don't kill myself in the process when something awful happens in the game when my pulse rate is already at double its normal rate.

(As an aside, I was using the elliptical once while I was watching a chase scene in one of the Bourne Identity movies where Matt Damon was running away from someone chasing him, and looked down and found I was running about 20% faster than I normally do.)

Has anyone ever tried working out while watching the games? Is it doable, or is the game too distracting and/or does the exercising detract from enjoying the game?

Yeah, i work out while watching tv. Most of the time its episodes of 24 or something fairly intense, but i have watched the Orioles a few times while working out. It's such a drag to run on the treadmill while not watching anything. makes it halfway tolerable

Guest rochester

God Bless You Frobby - just when I think you may have peaked writing posts that are pure delight you go ahead and do it again. A living legend I tell ya...:)

I have an elliptical in my basement that I normally use on cold days and rainy days. I'm too cheap to buy a tv to put in front of it, so I put a radio on its handles. I like to go exercise when the O's are playing and I listen to the game on the radio (full disclosure, I prefer games on the radio than to ones on tv - I LOVE listening to baseball on the radio).

Baseball makes the exercise go SO much faster and makes it so much more enjoyable.

Just make sure you have the ability to change stations at a moments notice. I change to a different station for 30 seconds in disgust every time the O's fall behind, so I don't have to listen to someone cheer for the other team.

I hit the treadmill for an hour during games. I keep the sound low enough that I don't have to pay attention to the jabbering if I don't wan't to. Between innings, I boost the rate I'm walking by 5 clicks and don't pay any attention to the commercials. When they come back from break (2 Minutes) I drop it down four clicks, so it works as an interval workout that gets progressively more challenging as the game goes on.

It depends upon the game. I have a heavy bag in my basement that gets a workout in a tough game. It saves on repairing drywall and replacing TV sets. :D

I like to use the treadmill watching the MLB Network, but can't watch that channel after an O's loss, not wanting to be reminded.

Archived